Genealogy Trails History Group
Humboldt County California Genealogy Trails

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Submit Data Submit Obituary California Trails Genealogy Trails

Humboldt County, California Genealogy Trails

Death of a Former Resident—Dr. D. G. Scott, dentist, of Eureka, Humboldt County, died at his home in that town on the 27th ult. of apoplexy. Deceased was formerly a resident of Auburn (having left here about 1862) and was well known in Placer County. He was Deputy Sheriff under Sam C. Astin, in 1851-2 and Deputy Treasurer under G. W. Applegate in 1858-9. His wife (maiden name Virginia McDaniel) was a sister of Judge Myrea’s first wife. Mr. Scott was, we believe, a graduate of West Point but did not enter the army owing to physical disability. The Eureka Telephone, mentioning his death, says: “Dr. Scott was a cordial, candid gentleman, firm in his friendships, and one who would not advance his own interests to the detriment of his fellow man. During a 15-years’ acquaintance, we have never had occasion to hold him in other than the highest esteem, and we have reason to believe that the same need of praise was generally awarded him in this community.” Deceased was a native of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, aged 54 years. The funeral was held under Masonic auspices. [Placer Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 2-11-1882. Submitted by KKM]

Elmer J. Allen Dies of Wounds—Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Allen of Eureka have been notified that their son, Pvt. Elmer J. Allen, died of wounds received on Iwo Jima on March 6. His wife, Mrs. Phyllis Allen, resides at Willits. Pvt. Allen, 25 years old, joined the Marines in May 1944 and trained at Camp Pendleton, going overseas in November. Before entering the service, Allen had been employed by the A. W. Way Company of Eureka, trucking lumber from the Rockport Lumber Company. He attended local schools. Surviving him are his wife, Phyllis and four-and-a-half-year-old son Kenneth of Willits; his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Allen of 1410 G Street, Eureka; his sisters, Mrs. Harold Levitt of Vallejo and Mrs. Milton Cole of Eureka; and the following brothers, Richard Allen of Eureka, Jack Allen of McCann, and Staff Sergeant Chesley S. Allen, who is serving with the US Army in the South Pacific. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Thursday, 4-5-1945. Submitted by KKM]

Margaret Balke Succumbs Here—ARCATA, Aug. 18. Mrs. Herman C. (Margaret) Balke of Crannell passed away this morning in a Eureka hospital. Mrs. Balke, 64, was born in Humboldt County and had lived here all her life. She was a member of the Crannell Woman's Club. She is survived by her husband; two sons, William C. and Jack Balke of Crannell; two brothers, George and William Peters of Arcata; three sisters, Marie Reeves of Arcata, Katherine Peters of Santa Rosa, and Ann Kirkpatrick of Trinidad; and several nieces and nephews. Funeral arrangements are being made by Paul's Mortuary. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Thursday, 8-19-1943 Submitted by KKM]

Newburg Marine Killed on Iwo—Pfc. Joseph F. Borges, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Borges of Newburg, was killed in action on Iwo Jima on Feb. 21, according to a War Department telegram received by his parents. Private Borges, who died in the frontal assault on the Japanese bastion, joined the Marine Corps on March 13, 1944. He was born in Arcata and was the oldest son among seven boys. Seven sisters also survive. They are Mrs. Mary Worth, Misses Rose and Georgina Borges, all of Arcata; Mrs. Alex Freitas of Sacramento; Mrs. Clemy Estrada of Patterson; and Olinda and Irene Borges of Newburg. Brothers are Frank, George, Manuel, John, Raymond, and Albert Borges, all of Newburg. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Tuesday, 3-31-1945. Submitted by KKM]

Eugene Lewis Killed on Iwo—Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Lewis of Weitchpec have been notified that their son, Pvt. Eugene Lewis, US Marines, was killed in action March 9 on Iwo Jima. Pvt. Lewis, 19 years old, had attended Morek school and enlisted in the Marine Corps in April 1944. He trained at San Diego and went overseas last November. He is survived by his parents and the following brothers and sisters, all of Weitchpec: Andrew Lewis Jr., Sylvester, Lorraine, Arvada and Marian Lewis, and Mrs. Samuel Young. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Wednesday, 4-4-194. Submitted by KKM]

Gilbert Madsen Killed in Italy—Pfc. Gilbert John Madsen of Eureka was killed in action in Italy on March 3. The War Department has notified his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph B. Madsen, 3125 California Street. Madsen, 24, was born in Norway, where his parents still reside. Before entering the army, he was employed by the Holmes Eureka Lumber Company. He was a member of Sons of Norway, Fram lodge, and of the Eagles. He entered the army in July 1943 and trained at Camp Abbott, Oregon, and Camp Hale, Colorado. Transferred to Camp Swift, Texas, he trained with the 10th Light Division and went overseas in December 1944. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Tuesday, 3-27-1945. Submitted by KKM]

John D. Martin Dies in Battle—Gunner’s Mate 3/c John Dayton Martin, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Martin of Willow Creek, has been killed in action while serving with the Pacific battle fleet, according to information received here. Martin was a brother of Lincoln B. Martin, AAM 2/c, also with the Navy, who enlisted in September 1943 and is presently stationed in Oklahoma. Other relatives are his sister, Miss Doris Martin of San Francisco, and his grandmother, Mrs. Delphia Flower, also of Willow Creek. Martin was born on July 23, 1922, attended the county school and graduated from Arcata High School in the class of June 1942, enlisting immediately afterward. He received his basic training at Camp Farragut and was later stationed at Treasure Island before being shipped out to the battle zone. He was home on a 30-day leave last May. Several aunts and uncles also survive. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Friday, 4-20-1945. Submitted by KKM]

Confederate Veteran, Last Civil War Link in Eureka, Dies—EUREKA, July 7. Daniel Hugh McTavish, 96, last Civil War veteran in northwestern California, died in Eureka yesterday. He was a native of Ireland and came to this country as a boy. McTavish served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and later as a dispatch rider in the Indian War of 1877. His parents lived to the ages of 105 and 101. Military funeral services will be held tomorrow. [Sacramento Bee, Tuesday, 7-7-1942. Submitted by KKM]

Fortuna Man Dies in Action—Private First Class Romolda Natt of Fortuna was reported killed in action in Germany, March 22, according to the War Department telegram received by his wife. Pfc. Natt was born in Arcata where he attended schools. He was employed in the woods for the Pacific Lumber Company for three years before entering the Army in May 1944. He received his infantry training at Camp Roberts, reporting overseas in November to France where he took part in the Belgium drive, receiving the Combat Infantryman pin. His three children, Donald, 3; Dorothy Mae, 2; and Lillian, 3 months old, live in Fortuna. Other relatives are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sandy Natt; two brothers, Robert and Sandy Jr.; and an uncle, Cornelius Natt, all of Fortuna; his grandmother, Mary Natt; and aunt, Lilah Crutchfield of Blue Lake. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Tuesday, 4-17-1945. Submitted by KKM]

Sgt. Pidgeon Is Killed on Luzon—Mr. and Mrs. Frank Pidgeon of Arcata have been notified that their son, Sgt. Jack Pidgeon, 30, was killed in action March 31 on Luzon. Sgt. Pidgeon was serving in the 161st Infantry, 25th Division. He was inducted in September 1942, trained at Camp Roberts, and went overseas to New Zealand for additional training. He had participated in the Philippine invasion and the Lingayen Gulf invasion of January of this year. The soldier had not long ago been awarded the Bronze Star medal. The soldier attended schools in Eureka and Arcata and was for several years employed by the H. H. Buhne Company. Also surviving are Sgt. Pidgeon’s wife, Barbara of Salt Lake City, Utah, and his sister, Frances Thompson of Eureka. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, 4-22-1945. Submitted by KKM]

Mrs. Price Dies; Rites Wednesday—With Rev. J. Eldon Anderson officiating, funeral services for Mrs. Constance Brett Price of 2133 Spring Street, who died Sunday evening at a local hospital, will be held at 3:30 Wednesday afternoon in Pierce Chapel. Interment will be at Greenwood Cemetery, Arcata. Born at Willow Creek 38 years ago, Mrs. Price had resided in Eureka eight years. She is survived by her children, Kenton and Barbara Light Price of Eureka; brother, Rodney Brett of Eureka; sisters, Mrs. John Robinson and Mrs. Howard Melendy of Eureka and Mrs. Ralph Case of Redwood City; and several nieces and nephews. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, 4-17-1945. Submitted by KKM]

H. F. Schetter, 79, Taken by Death—Herman Frederick Schetter, 79 years of age, died in a Eureka sanitarium Sunday morning. A native of San Francisco, Schetter had resided in this area for the past 35 years. He had been in ill health for several years. He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Mary C. Bridges; a nephew, Floyd S. Bridges, both of Eureka; and several other relatives residing in other parts of the country. Private funeral services will be conducted at 2 o’clock today in the chapel at Ocean View Crematorium with Rev. Robert Read officiating. En-nichement will be in Mount Olivet Columbarium in San Francisco. The Sanders Mortuary handled funeral arrangements. [Humboldt Times, Eureka, Tuesday, 4-17-1945. Submitted by KKM]

The Terrible Murders in Humboldt—The Humboldt Times of November 16th has the following particulars of the late murders on Mad River: On the 7th inst. One of the most brutal and terrible outrages was committed by Indians that we have been called upon to chronicle. At Brehmer’s ranch on Mad River, about 20 miles above Arcata, were living Mr. Brehmer, John Stuart, Christian and Henry Lemcke, and another man, engaged in tending and raising stock. On the morning of the 7th, they had all started out to look after their cattle in different directions. Towards evening as Henry Lemcke was returning home, when within four or five miles of the house, he received a rifle shot in the back, just under the right shoulder, which felled him senseless from his horse. In a few moments he returned to consciousness and with his presence of mind. A number of hideous savages were engaged in stripping him of his apparel in no gentle manner, and realizing that his only chance was to feign death, by a powerful effort of the will he succeeded. After the Indian monsters had stripped him naked, they started off; but one immediately turned back, and placing a revolver within a few feet of his head, fired. The ball just grazed his neck, causing the gravel to fly up into it with such force as to cause severe pain. Still he remained perfectly quiet, whereupon the Indians left and were soon lost sight of in the timber. He then jumped up and started for the house, naked as he was, but had not proceeded over half a mile when he met his brother’s horse running without his rider. He then knew that his brother Christian was slain. He succeeded in catching the horse and mounting him, started home; but he grew so deadly faint and sick from his wound that he was obliged to alight frequently. When he got home, none of the party who had started out in the morning had returned; so he was obliged to start for the nearest neighbor’s who lived a number of miles distant. He soon met Brehmer and his companion, who, up to this time, knew nothing of their extreme danger. They immediately returned and afforded the young man what relief they could, but the wound was mortal and he died before morning. On the very next day, Capt. Work was coming through this road, it being the regular mail route between Arcata and Weaverville, accompanied by a small detachment of his company. He says he had just remarked to his men “that he felt very much depressed in spirits,” when, on looking up, he beheld the mangled dead bodies of John Stuart and Christian Lemcke. The body of Stuart bore the traces of having been dragged some distance. The nose was torn off, eyes gouged out, lips and ears cut off, arrows stuck in his flesh, and his body most indecently and inhumanly cut up and mangled. “Never,” says the Captain, “in my life was I so overcome by my feelings, as I was on beholding this terrible sight in this lonely prairie.” John Stuart was aged about 34 years and was beloved and respected by all who knew him. He had considerable property there in stock. The Lemcke brothers were likewise peaceable and good citizens, Germans by birth. They had a number of hundred head of cattle in that vicinity, which they were herding at the time they met their unhappy doom. [Sacramento Daily Union, Friday, 11-29-1861. Submitted by KKM]

DIED. In Eureka, Humboldt county, Feb. 19, Charles Harkin, aged 56 years. Feb. 20, Thomas Logan, aged 36 years. [Source: San Francisco Bulletin (Wednesday, 16 Mar. 1870) transcribed by FoFG mz ]

Northwest Dead Mrs. Lucretia A. Huntington, wife of Rev. C. A. Huntington, well known to all old-times from a several years’ residence in Olympia, along in the ‘60’s, died at Eureka, Cal., November 14, at the age of 79 years. Mrs. Huntington was a lady of exemplary character. [The Oregonian (Portland, OR) Monday, December 14, 1896 -- Jim Dezotell]

In Eureka, Cal., December 24, 1907, Edward Schnitzler, beloved father of Ella and Austin Schnitzler, a native of Germany aged 49 years, member of Eureka Lodge of Hermann Sons. [Source: San Jose Mercury News (Sunday, 29 Dec. 1907) transcribed by FoFG mz  ]

Randolph [Coos Co., OR] Items -- W.H. Ellery, who worked for Mr. Dunham two or three years ago, was accidentally killed by a log rolling over him at Newburg, Humboldt county, California, a couple of months since. He was married a year ago, and was a noble young man. [Coquille City Herald, July 2, 1889 pg. 1 . Submitted by Robyn Greenlund]

EUREKA, Cal., Aug. 11. – James McCartney, one of the 12 survivors of the charge of the Light Brigade at the battle of Balaklava in the Crimean war, died at his home here today, aged 81. McCartney joined the British army when he was 16-year-old boy. Later he served under General Grant in the Civil war. While serving under English colors, McCartney attended the famous banquet given the Light Brigade by Queen Victoria. [Source: San Jose Mercury News (Saturday, 12 Aug. 1916) transcribed by FoFG mz ]

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, at Eversole Mortuary for Vernetta Phillips. Surrounded by her family, the longtime redwood Valley resident died peacefully at her home Friday, Sept. 10, 1999. She was 89.Born April 13, 1910, Ida Vernetta Cantrall was the youngest of her nine brothers and sisters. Her parents, Andrew J. and Ida Brooks Cantrall, raised their family on their cattle ranch in Jess Valley in Modoc County.  Vernetta, or “Vernie” as she was known by many, attended the one room Jess Valley School, graduated from Modoc High School in Alturas and completed business college in Chico. She was employed at the Modoc County Courthouse in Alturas before her marriage to Leslie Phillips in 1935. The couple moved to Ukiah with their son, Jerry, in 1947, and to Redwood Valley in 1956. Vernetta worked as a clerk in the Mendocino County Auditor's Office until her retirement in 1974, shortly before the death of her husband. She was active in the valley's Christian Women's Club and Interfaith Bible Studies and was a member of Redwood Valley Community Church. As an involved grandparent, she was a faithful supporter of Deep Valley Christian School. Family and friends will remember her as an accomplished seamstress and needlepoint worker as well as a great cook and gracious hostess. She is survived by a son, Jerry, and his wife, Louise, of Redwood Valley; granddaughters Michelle Tompkins of Fresno, and Jennifer Fernandes, Geraldine Ramsey and Nicole Phillips, all of Redwood Valley; and grandsons Andrew Phillips of Ukiah and Patrick Phillips of Redwood Valley. Also surviving are step-daughters Billie Dove Vieira of Quincy and Willo Rose of Cloverdale, 10 great-grandchildren, 11 step-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. Eversole Mortuary is in charge of funeral arrangements. Burial will be in Russian River Cemetery. Memorial contributions in Mrs. Phillips' name to Hospice of Ukiah, Inc., or Deep Valley Christian School in Redwood Valley are encouraged by the family.[Source: The Ukiah Daily Journal – Sunday, Sept. 12, 1999. Transcribed by Debbie Gibson]

DIED. In Eureka, Cal., April 14, 1904, John W. Turner, aged 56 years. [Source: Evening News (Saturday, 16 Apr. 1904) transcribed by FoFG mz ]
Friends are invited to attend the funeral tomorrow (Monday), April 18, at 2 o’clock p.m. from the family residence. No. 614 South Second street. Internment Oak Hill cemetery.

Herbert Raymond Bray was born Feb. 6, 1937, in San Francisco. He died Wednesday, Sept. 8, 1999, in Ukiah at the age of 62. Mr. Bray was the son of the late Frances and Clarence “Bud” Siemer of Ukiah and Carl and Lois Bray of Eugene, Ore. He came to Ukiah as a young boy from San Francisco. He is survived by his wife, Marti Bray of Ukiah; daughter. Tamara and Jimmy Chairez of Ukiah; son, Daniel and Louise Bray of Tehachapi; sister, Maryann and Bart Garbocci of Ukiah; brothers, Mark Haines and his companion Shirley Mitchell of Ukiah, and Steve and Jackie Siemer of Idaho, grandchildren, Anna and Emilie Chairez of Ukiah, and Gary Ray Bray of Tehachapi. Numerous nephews and nieces also survive. Mr. Bray took an early retirement in 1998 from Masonite after 43 years of employment. He was known to most Ukiahans as “the ice cream man.” Mr. Bray and his deceased wife, Barbara, owned and operated the Ukiah ice cream vending scooter and truck from 1962 to 1986. His hobbies included fishing, mechanic work and woodworking. He was a “jack-of-all-trades” to most friends and family. Mr. Bray was an active member of Friends of the County Park. Memorial contributions to Hospice of Ukiah, Inc., InHome Health Care, or Friends of the County Park are preferred by the family. Arrangements are under the direction of Eversole Mortuary. [Source: The Ukiah Daily Journal – Sunday, Sept. 12, 1999. Transcribed by Debbie Gibson]


One Drowns, Four Missing Off Bay Jetty
Boat overturns in surf Scotia man's body found

Times Standard Dec 23, 1985
EUREKA — At least one man died and four others were still missing this morning after a small boat overturned in high surf Sunday near the
entrance to Humboldt Bay.
The dead man was identifed as John Henry, 56, of Scotia. The names of the missing were being withheld by authorities this morning while a search continued.
The accident occurred amid 10- to 15-foot waves, about 100 yards from shore just south of the south jetty, according to Coast Guard Petty Officer Mike Johnson.
None of the five men aboard the 19-foot open craft was wearing a life jacket, he said.
The cause of the capsizing was not known at press time.
A nearby fishing vessel notified the Coast Guard of the accident about noon. The vessel's crew could not spot anyone in the water, and
could not get any closer to help because of the heavy surf, Johnson said.
The Coast Guard immediately sent out a 30-foot surf rescue boat, a 44- foot motor lifeboat and a helicopter.
The Humboldt County Sheriff's Department also dispatched a land party and a 20-foot rescue boat to the scene.
Henry was pulled from the water by the Coast Guard and was taken to St. Joseph Hospital, where attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.
The Coast Guard helicopter spotted another person in the water, but could not come in for a rescue because of the surf, Johnson said.
The chopper remained on the scene for an hour and 40 minutes, but was forced to leave when heavy fog rolled in.
The 44-foot lifeboat searched until dark, while the Sheriff's Department continued its shoreline search for several hours into the night.
The Coast Guard helicopter and motor lifeboat and the sheriff's land party resumed the search for bodies early this morning.
Also participating in the rescue effort was the Loleta Volunteer Fire
Search For Bodies Continues
EUREKA - The Sheriffs Department is continuing its search for the bodies of four men who were
aboard a boat that capsized Sunday near the entrance to Humboldt Bay.
"As long as we continue to find debris, we will maintain an active search," said Deputy Brad Smith,
who is assigned to the sheriff's search and rescue unit.
Some debris from the 19-foot vessel was found inside the bay near the Coast Guard station on the north
spit, Smith said.
"Deputies and volunteers from the Sheriff's Posse will patrol the beaches and bay again today. Smith
said. Heavy fog probably will prevent the searchers from heading out to sea.
Still missing are Larry Blaine, 47, of Fortuna; Gary Blaine, 23, of Eureka; Terry Bottoms, 37, of
Eureka; and Jim Guyton, 39, of Fortuna. The body of a fifth man on board, John Henry, 56, of Scotia, was
recover by the Coast Guard Sunday.
Search Continues; four missing men identified
Times Standard Dec 24, 1985
EUREKA - The Humboldt County Sheriff's Department is continuing its search for four of five crab fishermen who were aboard a boat that capsized Sunday in the surf near the entrance of Humboldt Bay.
Missing and presumed drowned are Larry Blaine, 47, of Fortuna;
Gary Blaine, 23, of Eureka; Terry Bottoms, 37, of Eureka; and Jim Guyton, 39, of Fortuna.
The body of John Henry, 56, of Scotia, was recoverd by the Coast Guard Monday near the spot where the 19-foot craft capsized in heavy seas while the men were tending crab pots set close to shore near the south jetty.
The Coast Guard has suspended its sea search for the missing men, but the sheriff's search of the shoreline will continue, according to Steve Cobine, deputy sheriff in charge of the department's marine search and rescue posse.
The accident is still under investigation, but investigators think they have discovered the cause, Cobine said.
"It appears that one of the lines from the crab pots the men were tending became fouled in the boat's propeller and the engine died," he said. "The boat drifted into the surf near the south jetty and capsized."
As far as is known, none of the men was wearing a life jacket at the time they were thrown into the water, Cobine said.
A Coast Guard spokesman from the McKinleyville air station said the formal search by the Coast Guard had been suspended, but air and sea units will continue to look for debris or bodies from the craft during routine patrols.
Cobine said the current is running northward from the spot where the boat capsized and searchers combing the beach are concentrating their efforts in the area between the pulp mills and the community of Manila on the Samoa peninsula.
Coast Guard aircraft covered the area from the Eel River mouth north to Trinidad Head Monday, but Cobine said the current's drift probably would beach the bodies on the peninsula.
Sheriff Department patrol craft will also continue to search the heavy surf off shore, Cobine added.
Ex-Riversiders believed dead in fishing accident
The Press Enterprise
Two former Riverside residents and a third man have been missing since Dec. 22, when their boat capsized in the Pacific Ocean near Eureka in Northern California.
The bodies of two other men have been recovered.
Former Riverside residents Jim Guyton, 39, and Terry Bottoms, 37, were still missing yesterday, but they were presumed dead, according to the Humboldt County Sheriffs Department. Also missing was Gary Blaine, 23, of Eureka.
The five men were crab fishing about noon when one of the lines attached to a crab ring caught in their boat's propeller, causing the engine to stop, the sheriffs department reported. The boat drifted and capsized near the entrance to Humboldt Harbor, near Eureka.
The body of John Henry, 56, of Scotia, was found near the accident Dec. 22, authorities said.
The body of Larry Blaine, 57, of Fortuna, was recovered about 20 miles north of the crash site on Sunday. Scotia and Fortuna are south of Eureka.
A marine posse from the sheriffs department is expected to continue to search for Guyton, of Fortuna; Bottoms, of Eureka, and Gary Blaine, the son Larry Blaine.
Guyton, who lived in Riverside for about 15 years until five years ago, had worked for the city of Riverside in the motor pool, said his sister, Barbara Guyton, of Riverside. He was married with two children.
Bottoms, married to Guyton's sister Donna, had three children. Bottoms lived in Riverside for several years before moving about three years ago.
Guyton's father and stepmother are Francis "Pete" Guyton and Michelle "Mickey" Guyton of Riverside. His mother is Cordie Viano, of Long Beach. He had four sisters and one brother, of whom Dave and Barbara still live in Riverside.
Note: from Submitter Barb Z. Several weeks after the accident two of the four missing men's bodies were found down the coast a ways and the bodies of Jim Guyton and Terry Bottoms were never found
A year later  the Court declared the remaining missing men legally dead.
Article 1  Article 2    Article 3   Article 4
All submitted by Barb Z.

DIED. In Eureka, Cal., January 2, 1911, John Wesley, husband of Lucy Hainline, aged 54. [Source: Evening News (Saturday, 7 Jan. 1911) transcribed by FoFG mz ]

John G. Gilmore, 81 of Eureka California, died in a Eureka hospital, September 8, after a long illness. He was born June 13, 1877 in Kerby, Oregon. He was the son of David M. Gilmore and Mary F. Gilmore early settlers of the Illinois Valley. He lived his early years in the valley and worked most of his life as a miner and a farmer. He also drove stage coast in eastern Oregon and other routes of the west. He is survived by a brother, William E, Gilmore of Eureka and a sister Maude Brown Hedden of Arcata California, nephews Vess Clark of Hayfork California Charles Gilmore, Klamath Falls Oregon Vern Gilmore Happy camp California David Gilmore Eureka, Arthur Brown Kings Bay California and Robert Brown of Honeydew California. Nieces Ethel Wolfe Lodi ca, Katherine Fennimore, Los Angeles Ca., Jessie White Richmond Ca. Marie March, Willetts Ca. Alice Barker Elk Grove Ca. Hattie Hogue Gold Beach Oregon, Pauline Deo, Eureka, Francis Corsetti Eureka, Minnie Hall Gold beach, Ada Johnston, Wedderburn Oregon. 27 Great nieces and nephews 29 great great nieces and nephews Funeral services were held at Cooper Mortuary chapel of the ferns internment at the ocean view cemetery in Eureka California. [( Unknown Source ) - September 1958 Contributed by Sally Yarbrough]

Near San Jose, Nov. 4, 1903 Jacob Nason of Eureka, Humboldt county, Cal., a native of New Brunswick, aged 48 years. [ Source: Evening News (Thursday, 5 Nov. 1903) transcribed by FoFG mz ]

EUREKA, Cal., March 17. – Morton L. Tower, engineer in charge of the government jetty construction work of the entrance to Humboldt bay, died late today from injuries received Thursday when he and three others fell from a high trestle in a track car. He had been in charge of the work since it was begun in March, 1912.   Lieutenant Colonel Thomas E. Rees of the engineering department of the western division of the army, who also was injured in the same accident, was reported as improving today. [ Source: San Jose Mercury News (Sunday, 18 Apr. 1914) transcribed by FoFG mz  ]

On the 26th March, in Eureka City, Daniel Ryan, formerly of Wisconsin, aged about 38 years. [Source: California Farmer and Journal of Useful Sciences (San Francisco, CA) Thursday, 5 Apr. 1855; transcribed by Marla Zwakman  ]

DIED, In Eureka, Humboldt County, Cal., October 23, Emma L., wife of Charles H. Smith, aged 22 years. [ Source: Territorial Enterprise (7 Nov. 1874) transcribed by FoFG MZ ]   

DIED. At Star City, Humboldt county, N. T., March 4th, Henry O. G. Smeathman, a native of England, aged 47 years. [Source: San Francisco Bulletin (Wednesday, 16 Mar. 1864) transcribed by FoFG mz  ]

Bert J. Squire passed away September 26, 1971. A resident of 439 East street Trinidad, Ca. Husband of Frances A. Squire of Eureka, father of Mrs. Juanita Buell of Arcata, Mrs. Virginia McGruder of Eureka, Bert E. and Edwin G. Squire both of Cave Junction, Oregon. Brother of Jesse M. Squire of Earlimart, Ca. He is also survived by 8 grandchildren, 3 great grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. Having lived in Humboldt County for the past 14 years, Mr. Squire homesteaded on property at Thompson Creek in Illinois Valley after he was discharged from the US Army. He was a veteran of World war one aged 77. He was a native of Glendale, Ca. Services were at Chapel of Ferns Cooper mortuary on Wednesday, September 29 at 10:30 a.m. with the Reverend Wendell Ensor of the United First Methodist Church officiating. Private concluding services followed at Ocean View Cemetery in Eureka, Ca. [Illinois Valley News (Cave Junction, OR) - October 7, 1971 Contributed by Sally Yarbrough]

Died – September, 1877, near Springville, Humboldt county, California, Harriette Elizabeth, daughter of N. W. and Martha A. Hawn, aged 5 years, 4 months and 1 day [The East Oregonian (Pendleton, OR) – Saturday, October 6, 1877. Submitted by Jim Dezotell]

- January 26, 1967, 1607 Glatt St., Eureka. Husband of Elvira Breault of Eureka. Father of Mrs. Rose Mary Beckwith of Eureka and Francis J. Breault of Las Vegas. Stepfather of Mrs. Howard Deeter of Seattle. He is also survived by 9 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. Prior to his illness he had been employed at Eureka Woolen Mills. A native of Kansas. Age 77. Rosary will be recited at Sanders Funeral Home, Sunday, January 29 at 8 30 p.m. Services will be held at Sanders Mortuary Chapel, Monday, January 30 at 9:30 a m. thence to St. Bernard’s Catholic Church for Requiem Mass commencing at 10 a m. Pallbearers, Armand Hebert, Kenneth Svenson, Leonard Devoy, David Bradburn, Jack Butcher, Lewis Wilson. Interment will follow at St. Bernard’s Cemetery. [Eureka Humboldt Times Sunday January 29, 1967. Submitted by Maurene Miller]

— Jan. 26, 1967, 112 West Simpson, Eureka. Father of Mrs. Lois Renner of Ferndale. Brother of Albert Cavanaugh of Ferndale. Richard Perry of Fortuna, Fria May Hessen of San Pedro. Grandfather of Ronald, Maralyn, David, Robin and Timothy Renner, all of Ferndale. A native of Portland, Ore. Age 68. Services will be held at Chapel of the Citizens Mortuary Monday, January 30, at 1:30 p.m. with Father Albert Gray officiating. Private interment: Ferndale Cemetery. [Eureka Humboldt Times Sunday January 29, 1967. Submitted by Maurene Miller]

– Jan. 28. Miranda. Husband of Joan Maher of Miranda, father of Russell Maher of McKinleyville, Rodney Maher of Menlo Park, Ronald Maher of Arcata, Pvt. E-2 Raymond Maher, U.S. Army; brother of Mrs. Howard Den Beste of Crawford, Colo., Mrs. Phyllis Schrader of Eugene, Ore., Mrs. Joe Brand of Eugene, Ore. He is also survived by many nephews and nieces and four grandchildren. He was president of the C.S.E.A. A native of Crawford, Colo., age 51. Services will be held at Riverwood Chapel in Garberville Monday, Jan. 30 at 11 a m. with Pastor Edwin Svendsen officiating. Interment in Ocean View Cemetery. [Eureka Humboldt Times Sunday January 29, 1967. Submitted by Maurene Miller]

- Jan. 26, 1967, Rt. I, Box 46, Arcata. Daughter of Mrs. Jennie Gallacci of Arcata. Sister of Josephine, Margaret, John, Donald and Eugene Gallacci, all of Arcata, Mrs. Frank Sobol, Mrs. Wallace Turner and Mrs. Darrell Atkins, also of Arcata, Mrs. Nick Dellabalma of Elk River and Mrs. Leo Pawlus of Eureka. She is survived by numerous nieces and nephews. She had been employed for many years in the office of the Georgia-Pacific Corporation. Member of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, A native of Arcata. Age 53. Rosary will be recited at Chapel of the Redwoods Sunday, Jan. 29, at 8 p.m. Services will be held at Chapel of the Redwoods Monday, Jan. 30, at 9:30 am. Thence to St. Mary’s Catholic Church for Requiem Mass at 10 a m. with Father John Meenan officiating. Pallbearers: Francis Sobol, Gary Sobol, Donald Dellabalma, Raymond Dellabalma, Darrell Lee Atkins and Terry Atkins. Interment: St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Cemetery, Arcata. [Eureka Humboldt Times Sunday January 29, 1967. Submitted by Maurene Miller]

ROBERTS – Florence May Roberts of Rio Del, California, passed away May 7, 1963 in Eureka, California.  She was born February 29, 1876 near Coffeyville, Kansas.  She was preceded in death by her husband, George A. Roberts on December 3, 1926.  She was a former resident of the Marcola-Springfield area for many years.  She was a member of the Springfield Christian Church.  She is survived by two sons: Morris E. Roberts of Rio Del, California, Ernest L. Roberts of Springfield; five children; six great-grandchildren.  She was preceded in death by 2 sons: Sylvan E. Roberts and Walter H. Roberts.  Memorial services will be held on May 11, 1963 at 10:30 a.m. in the Springfield Christian Church.  Reverend James Fraley officiating.  In lieu of flowers, it has been requested that those who wish may donate to the Springfield Christian Church Memorial Fund.  Buell Chapel in charge of arrangements. [The Eugene Register-Guard (Eugene, OR) – Wednesday, May 8, 1963. Submitted by JD]

Copyright © Genealogy Trails 2006 -
All rights reserved for original submitters.