For the 1870 census, enumerators recorded demographic information on the
following topics, organized by column number:
1. Number of dwelling house, by order of visitation from enumerator
2. Number of family, by order of visitation from enumerator
Enumerators could mark "W" for White, "B" for Black,
"M" for Mulatto, "C" for Chinese [a category which
included all east Asians], or "I" for American Indian.
7. Profession, occupation, or trade
8. Value of real estate
9. Value of personal estate
10. Place of birth
State or territory of the United States or foreign country
11. Was the person's father of foreign birth?
12. Was the person's mother of foreign birth?
13. If the person was born within the last year, which month?
14. If the person was married within the last year, which month?
15. Did the person attend school within the last year?
16. Can the person not read?
17. Can the person not write?
18. Is the person deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic?
19. Is the person a male citizen of the United States of 21 years or
20. Is the person a male citizen of the United States of 21 years or
upwards whose right to vote is denied or abridged on grounds other than
"rebellion or other crime?"