The following information, listed by questions number, was collected
from each respondent:
The following questions were asked of all respondents:
- Relationship to first person listed on the questionnaire
- Age at last birthday
- Month of birth
- Year of birth
- Marital status
- Is this person of Spanish/Hispanic origin or descent
- Since February 1, 1980, has this person attended regular school
- What is the highest grade (or year) of regular school this person
has ever attended?
- Did this person finish the highest grade (or year) attended?
The following questions were asked of a sample of respondents:
- In what state or foreign country was the person born?
- If this person was born in a foreign country...
- Is this person a naturalized citizen of the United States?
- When did this person come the the United States to stay?
- Does this person speak a language other than English at home?
- If yes, what is this language?
- If yes, how well does this person speak English?
- What is this person's ancestry?
- Did this person live in this house five years ago?
- If no, where did this person live five years ago?
- When was this person born?
- Before April 1965 (continue with questions 17 - 33)
- April 1965 or later (answer no more questions)
- In April 1975 was this person-
- On active duty in the Armed Forces?
- Attending college?
- Working at a job or business? If yes, full time or part time?
- Is this person a veteran of active-duty military service in
the Armed Forces of the United States?
- Was active duty military service during-
- May 1975 or later
- Vietnam era (August 1964 - April 1975)
- February 1955 - July 1964
- Korean conflict (June 1950 - January 1955)
- World War II (September 1940 - July 1947)
- World War I (April 1917 - November 1918)
- Any other time
- Does this person have a physical, mental, or other health condition
which has lasted for 6 or more months and which...
- Limits the kind or amount of work this person can do at a job?
- Prevents this person from working at a job?
- Limits or prevents this person from using public transportation?
- If this person is a female, how many babies has she ever had, not
- If this person has ever been married-
- Has this person been married more than once?
- Month and year of marriage or first marriage
- If married more than once, did the first marriage end because
of the death of the husband (or wife)?
- Did this person work at any time last week?
- How many hours did this person work last week (at all jobs)?
- At what location did this person work last week?
- Name of city, town, village, or borough
- Is the place inside the incorporated (legal) limits of that
city, town, village, or borough?
- ZIP Code
- Last week, how long did it usually take this person to get from
home to work (one way)?
- How did this person usually get to work last week?
- Bus or streetcar
- Subway or elevated
- Walked only
- Worked at home
- If the person uses a car, truck, or van- when going to work
last week, did this person usually...
- Drive alone
- Share driving
- Dive others only
- Ride as a passenger only
- If the person does not drive alone- how many people, including
this person, usually rode to work in the car, truck, or van last
- If this person was not at work last week, was this person temporarily
absent or on layoff from a job or business last week?
- Has this person been looking for work during the last four weeks?
- If yes, could this person have taken a job last week?
- When did this person last work, even for a few days?
- From whom did this person work?
- What kind of business or industry was this?
- Is this job mainly...
- Wholesale trade
- Retail trade
- What kind of work was this person doing?
- What were this person's most important activities or duties?
- Was this person-
- Employee of a private company, business, or individual, for
wages, salary, or commissions
- Federal government employee
- State government employee
- Local government employee
- Self-employed in own business
- Own business not incorporated
- Own business incorporated
- Working without pay in family business or farm
- Last year (1979), did this person work, even for a few days,
at a paid job or in a business or farm?
- If yes, how many weeks did this person work in 1979?
- During the weeks worked in 1979, how many hours did this person
usually work each week?
- Of the weeks not worked in 1979 (if any), how many weeks was
this person looking for work or on layoff from a job?
- Income in 1979 from...
- Wages, salary, commissions, bonuses, or tips from all jobs
- Own non-farm business, partnership, or professional practice
- Own farm
- Interest, dividends, royalties, or net rental income
- Social Security or Railroad Retirement
- Supplemental Security (SSI), Aid to Families with Dependent
Children (AFDC), or other public assistance or public welfare
- Unemployment compensation, veterans' payments, pensions, alimony,
child support, or any other sources of income received regularly
- What was this person's total income from 1979?