Albert W. Larimore
| ALBERT W. LARIMORE is the owner of valuable farming property in Payson Township,
Illinois. He was born December 11, 1839, in Hampshire County, West Virginia, and is a son of John W. and Elizabeth Fahs Larimore, both of whom were natives of West Virginia,
born near Romney, in Hampshire County. The first representatives of the Larimore family in America came from Ireland and as far as is known settled first in West Virginia.
There were five brothers who crossed the Atlantic to the new world and one of these became a resident of Ohio. His paternal grandparents were James and Susan Wolverton Larimore.
His maternal grandparents both died in West Virginia. The grandfather was a blacksmith by trade and followed that pursuit throughout his entire business career.
John W. Larimore was a farmer by occupation and thus provided for his family, which numbered six children, Albert W. being the eldest. The others were: Isaac M., James A., Mrs. Rebecca
Price, William and Naomi. The last named died when twenty years of age and was buried in Shiloh cemetery. William was wounded in the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862 and died just a week
later. His father went south for his remains and the interment was made in Shiloh Cemetery, in Adams County, Illinois.
Albert W. Larimore in 1842 accompanied his parents on their removal to Macon County, Missouri, where they remained for three years. His father then started to return to West
Virginia on account of illness but on the way he heard of the Payson windmill and knew that a Mr. Baker lived near that windmill so that when he reached the vicinity of Payson
he inquired for Jacob Baker, who was a cousin of his wife and had settled here some time previous. Mr. Baker induced Mr. Larimore to remain until spring and during the winter the
latter purchased eighty acres of land, which was afterward owned by Hugh Rutter and now belongs to the Seymour estate. On disposing of his original property he bought land where James
A. Larimore now resides. Bringing his family to this county he carried on agricultural pursuits for many years and prospered in his undertakings. At the time of his death he was the
owner of three hundred and forty acres of valuable land. Both he and his wife have passed away.
Albert W. Larimore was only about six years of age when brought by his parents to Adams County and was educated in the Whitcomb schoolhouse, which was a frame building with slab seats,
while desks were around the wall. There were no backs to the seats and the entire building was a crude, primitive structure. Later he attended the Hinckley school and when not engaged
with his school books he devoted his time and attention to the work of the farm. The occupation to which he was reared he has always made his life work and he began for himself on
section 24, Payson Township, where he now resides. Practical and progressive in his methods, managing his business interests with great care, he has through his diligence and
perseverance been enabled to become the possessor of extensive landed interests. He was at one time the owner of seven hundred and twenty acres of land but has given the sons
three hundred and twenty acres so that he now retains possession of four hundred acres.
On May 6, 1862, Mr. Larimore was united in marriage to Miss Julia F. Pottle, a daughter of Brackett and Mary Woodruff Pottle. The father was a native of New Hampshire and the
mother of Connecticut, her birth having occurred near West Hartford. When a boy Mr. Pottle went to Boston, where he worked for six dollars per month and out of that sum he had
to pay for a hogshead of molasses which he had spilled when draying. Not long after this several men spoke to him about coming to Illinois. These were John Wood, Willard Keys
and a Mr. Kimball. Mr. Pottle accepted their proposition and came overland with them in covered wagons to Quincy. They entered land from the government by pre-emption at one dollar
and a quarter per acres. John Wood afterward became governor of Illinois. It was in the year of 1833 that Mr. Pottle arrived in Quincy and in partnership with John Wood and Deacon
Kimball he entered nine hundred acres of land, including part of the town site of the village of Payson, and when the landed was divided this portion fell to Mr. Pottle's lot and he
afterward sold it to Deacon Scarborough, who laid out the town of Payson. Mr. Pottle settled on a farm three miles east of Payson, Illinois and for many years carried on agricultural
pursuits, being one of the pioneer farmers of that county and a man whose labors contributed in large and important measure to the substantial improvement and material upbuilding of
the county. In 1870 he removed to Payson, where he owned considerable property, and his efforts there also proved an important feature in the up building of the town. He was a prominent
and valued member of the Congregational church and was the last surviving charter member among those who organized the society at Payson. Mr. Pottle, who was born May 18, 1804, passed
away January 3, 1893, in the eighty-ninth year of his age He was one of the most respected and honored of the pioneer settlers and his name should be inscribed high on the roll of the
early residents of this part of the state. His wife born the maiden name of Mary Woodruff, and was a daughter of Darius and Ruby Woodruff. They became the parents of four children:
Julia F., Elijah Lovejoy, Rachel and Albert. Two of the number are now living – Mrs. Larimore, and Elijah L. Pottle, who is married and engaged in merchandising in Chicago.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Larimore has been blessed with four children: William O., married Blanch Humphrey and they have three sons and three daughters. Annie died at the age of one
year. Edward N. married Winnie Hartshorn and lives south of the old home farm. Mary N. is the wife of Frank Penick, a lawyer of Quincy, and has one son, Albert Mark, at home.
In his political views Mr. Larimore is a stalwart republican. He is a man of strong temperance principles and is himself a total abstainer, having used neither tobacco nor
intoxicants. His wife belongs to the Congregational church. They u usually spend the winter in the south, largely Florida. Their home property is a well improved place, where
they live comfortably. Mr. Larimore has also visited California, Colorado and Texas, usually leaving Adams County during the inclement weather seasons. He is the possessor of
a handsome competence that has been acquired entirely through his own labors and as the years have passed he has not only won success but has also gained the unqualified regard
of his fellowmen. The greater part of his life has here been passed and he has been a witness of Adams County's wonderful transformation through more than half a century.
[SOURCE: PAST AND PRESENT OF ADAMS COUNTY, ILLINOIS 1905 - Compiled by Donna]
Debbie Gibson, Copyright © 2006
IL Genealogy Trails and History Group!
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights
Reserved for Original Contributor