KINGSTON OF YESTERYEAR
A SERIES OF ARTICLES
ALICE JACKSON & ARVILLA CHAMBERLIN
KINGSTON PARK CEMETERY
Information from the old records of the cemetery
meeting Nov. 21, 1908.
A meeting was called Nov. 21, 1908, at Kingston, to
organize the new cemetery. David Hofmeister was elected
Ed Kistner was secretary. The first
motion in order was for president; David Hofmeister was elected
president, with Will Meyers as vice-president; Ed Kistner,
secretary; Dr. Davidson, treasurer; and trustees - 1st
Will Williams; 2nd, Louis Atkinson; 3rd,
Herman Kill. The name chosen was Park Cemetery. The committee
appointed to buy the ground and pay for same were: Will Williams
and Ed Kistner.
The State of Illinois granted a petition the 22nd
day of Sept., 1909, for the organization of the Park Cemetery
Sept. 10, 1909 – A motion that Will
Williams take charge of surveying and hire the necessary help
and to seed the ground carried. The record shows that those who
helped survey were: Roy Metz, Holis Cook, Bert Belts and Lilburn
Richardson, surveying and drawing plot.
The record shows Oct. 9, 1909. the
cemetery ground was bouught from Fred Ausmus. In 1933 land was
bought from Oliver P. Buffington for the cemetery. At a later
date more land was purchased from Robert O'Connor for the
A tool house and two restrooms were
built, probable date 1939-1940.
June, 1947 – A special meeting was held
for the purpose of combining the old and new cemetery into one
Sept. 12, 1951 – the State of Illinois
granted a petition to Park Cemetery Association, Park Cemetery
Kingston, for perpetual care.
1955 – Wm. Steckler of Quincy was hired
to build a 42 – crypt mausoleum and walks. In the fall of 1966 a
gravel driveway was made through the cemetery.
In the spring of 1967 several trees
were planted along the road to the cemetery. The trees were
given to the cemetery by Start Nursery of Louisiana, Mo. The
present officers and directors are: Floyd Hofmeister, president;
Ralph Churchill, secretary; Emmett Jackson, treasurer; directors
– Albert Klassing, Ralph Hofmeister, Addison Babcock, and Mrs.
(Recollections of senior citizens.)
One outstanding memory of everyone from
the Kingston community is Decoration Day down through the years.
It was a highlight of the year.
Decoration Day services were started by
the G. A. R. (Civil War soldiers). The parade would assemble at
the Masonic Hall for the march to the cemetery. The Fairweather
Band played in the earlier years. Flags were carried. Girls wore
sashes of red, white and blue. Girls and boys would decorate the
graves with flowers. A program would be given from a platform
built in the cemetery. Sometimes young people gave drills. Songs
and readings were given. It is recalled that Lorle Mellon was
very good at giving readings and Mrs. George Davis and her
children were good with songs and music. Large crowds were
always in attendance.
MEMORIAL DAY AT KINGSTON
Memorial Day, or Decoration Day as it
was formerly called, has been observed at Kingston for many
years. One of the most interesting things to all children of the
community and many of the older folk was the march from the
Masonic Hall to the cemeteries. The children, some of the Sunday
School teachers, and parents met at the hall about 12:30 to help
get the children ready for the march. The children were each to
wear a sash of red, white and blue bunting across their
shoulders and tied at the side and carry either a flag or
flowers to decorate the graves, especially those of the
soldiers. They were led by drummers, Johnny Hendricks and sons
to the cemetery, where at some designated grave military honors
Later that Legion, made up of some of
the members from Barry, Liberty and Beverly, helps with
After services at the graves, a short
program was given, including patriotic songs, readings, drills,
and a speaker. Later the two churches helped with the Memorial
Today people still go to Kingston and
decorate the graves of their loved ones on Memorial Day.