Adams County Schools

Early Known Schools

Quincy Schools

Franklin
Jefferson
Lord's Barn

 

Quincy
     The history of the early schools established in the city of Quincy and that of the public schools of the present day, is almost identical, or at least so intimate as not to be separated from each other. The history of these schools commences with the establishment of the first school in 1837, and was held in what was known as the "Lord's Barn," a log church, situated very near the present Washington Park. In speaking of this first school, a writer says: "It contained about thirty scholars, some of them learning their letters and others being able to read and spell indifferently. The school was taught by Mr. Burnham, who had been engaged by Mr. Keyes and a few other public spirited gentlemen, and was paid salary by them, some of the citizens who sent their children to the school being unable to pay anything for the privilege. 
     It had been necessary, meantime, to rent rooms in various places for the accommodation of the scholars, who had been growing in numbers by the increase of population, and in 1843 the first school-house was built by the town authorities. This was a two-story brick building on the Franklin school lot, on Fifth street, which was torn down to make room for the new brick edifice now there. Its dimensions were about 40x60 feet, and it contained two rooms, which did excellent service at the time, and, in fact, continued to be used for nearly thirty years to good advantage to the young people who attended the school. A little over a year afterward a similar building was put up on Jefferson square, and this remained occupied for school purposes until the county purchased the ground and commenced to build a new court-house thereon.

[Source: The History of Adams County, Illinois, Chicago: Murray, Williamson & Phelps, 85 Washington St. 1879 - Transcribed by Debbie Gibson]


 

Richfield Township
The first school was taught in 1836, in a private house, by Mr. Frampton, who followed the Mormons to Utah. The first school house was built on section 19.

[Source: The History of Adams County, Illinois, Chicago: Murray, Williamson & Phelps, 85 Washington St. 1879 - Transcribed by Debbie Gibson]

 


Adams County

 

Genealogy Trails 2002-2011
Debbie Gibson,
All Rights Reserved!
IL Genealogy Trails History Group