Welcome to Genealogy Trails - Helping you Find Illinois Ancestors


History of Greenville, Illinois

Excerpt from the
"
Historical souvenir of Greenville, Illinois : being a brief review of the city from the time of its founding to date"
by Will C. Carson, LeCrone Press, 1905


Submitted by K. Torp


A Condensed History of Greenville
by Will. C. Carson

COUNTLESS changes have taken place in the ninety years that have elapsed since a lone log cabin, on the brow of the hill at the west end of present Main Avenue, constituted the whole of Greenville. In those good old days of 1815, when Greenville was young, the public road ran past the cabin, and down the hill, and, crossing the creek at the Alton ford, was swallowed up by the forest.

Truthfully to relate how Greenville, from that rudely constructed log cabin, steadily advanced through the years and has earned her place on the map, and how she has been evolved from the forest primeval into a bustling city of twentieth century attainments, is to tell again the story of the unspeakable hardships of the pioneers, and of the determination of the settlers, who followed them.

It was ninety years ago that a sturdy pioneer, by name George Davidson, attracted by the rolling hills and clear spring water, set about to clear the forest and make himself a home, and, camping on the edge of the big ravine that yawns about the western confines of the town, he paved the way for a "Greater Greenville."

The history of Greenville, the third and present county seat of Bond county, is so closely interwoven with the history of the county itself, that a slight digression is here and now pardonable, that we may, at the outset, note the beginnings of the then new country of the Northwest Territory, of which Bond county, and by inference, Greenville, formed no insignificant part.

Wrested from the clutches of Great Britain by the indomitable will of George Rogers Clark, to whom we of today owe a mighty debt of gratitude, the Illinois country became a county of Virginia in 1778 and so remained until the deed of session of 1784, and from that time on the great territory of Illinois was pared down until it reached its present dimensions, and the great, overgrown county of Bond, that then extended to the shores of Lake Michigan, the fifteenth county to be formed, gave generously of its territory to the formation of Montgomery, Fayette and Clinton counties: in fact so liberally that it was finally compelled to borrow from Madison, in sheer self-defense, finding itself shaved down to its present unpretentious dimensions. Beyond a doubt the spirit of broad-mindedness and liberality that now characterizes the county and city was born of that period.

Bond county was organized in 1816 and was named for Shadrach Bond, the first governor of Illinois. It was one of the original fifteen counties represented in the Constitutional Convention of 1818. Thos. Kirkpatrick and Samuel G. Morse represented the county in the convention that formed the first state constitution. At this election for conventioners there were three candidates, Morse, Kirkpatrick and Martin, although but two were to be elected. The issue was slavery or no slavery. Morse and Kirkpatrick were against slavery but Martin was noncommittal. Some lively Tennesseeans concocted a scheme to ascertain Martin's views. They called him to one side and told him that they, as well as some of their friends in Tennessee, wanted slavery admitted so that they might bring their slaves here. Their plan was successful, for Martin said, "Boys, don't say anything, but I am for slavery."

The boys did say something, however, and Martin was defeated. George Davidson, founder of Greenville, was one of the clerks at this election.

In giving of her territory and in being represented at the first constitutional convention, Bond county is justly entitled to be denominated one of the corner stones on which has been laid the superstructure of present day prosperity of the great northwest.

Early Settlements.
PERMANENT settlement of Bond county was made prior to 1811, but the exact date is not fixed. Mrs. Elizabeth Harbour, who lived at Chatham, Illinois in 1890, declared that her family settled near Greenville in 1808, and that there had been white settlers before them. The lady named Isaac Hill, Tom Ratan, Billy Jones, John Finley and Henry Cox as having been here at that time. It is an established fact that settlement was made at Hill's Fort in the summer 1811. This fort covered an acre of ground and was situated on the present farm of John O'Byrne, eight miles southwest of present Greenville. The mother of James H. White, of Greenville, was an inmate of this fort, her father having taken her there for safety.

In early days the Indians made annual incursions into the country in and around Greenville. They usually came in the autumn, because they then could get game and corn on which to subsist. A mile and a half south of Hill's Fort was Jones' Fort, built about the same time. These two feeble bands of settlers, at that time, composed the entire population of Bond county. These forts were not only a place of defense but the residence of the families belonging to the neighborhood. The stockades, bastions, cabins and block house walls had port holes at proper heights and distances. The whole of the outside was made absolutely bullet proof and the fort was built without the use of a single nail or spike.

Some families were so attached . to their farms that they remained on them as much as possible, despite the constant danger of an Indian attack. In the event of the approach of Indians, an "express" from the fort was sent out to arouse the settlers, who at once hastened to the stockade and thus it often happened that the whole number of families belonging to a fort, who were in the evening at their homes, were all in the fortress before dawn the next morning. During the succeeding day their household effects were brought in by parties of armed men sent out for that purpose. Some families were more foolhardy or adventurous than others and in spite of every remonstrance they would remain on their farms, or, if in the stockade, would return prematurely to their property, thus endangering their lives.

"The Cox Massacre"
THE Cox massacre is frequently confused with the killing of Henry Cox and his son, south of Greenville, by the Indians. Henry Cox and his son were killed and by Indians, but the Cox massacre, which is commemorated by a monument in the country west of Greenville, was the occasion of the death of another Cox, and the taking into captivity of a young woman.

The Cox family moved from near Alton and settled north of Pocahontas a distance of two miles. They had been there two or three years and were building a horse mill at the time of the murder, which was on June 2, 1811. Several Indians of the Pottawattomie tribe, having heard a considerable amount of money was in possession of the family went to the cabin while the father and mother were away. They killed the son, cutting out his heart and placing it on his head. They then threatened his sister, Rebecca Cox, who had been a witness of the terrible deed, with a like vengeance, unless she revealed the hiding place of the money. The girl went to a chest, and fumbling around in it, in order to conceal the principal packages, handed them a small parcel, which they accepted. The Indians then stole the horses and taking the girl prisoner, started north up the Shoal Creek timber. Rebecca was shrewd enough to tear strips from her apron and drop them along the trail as a guide for her rescuers.
As soon as the family returned and found the mutilated corpse of their son lying in the cabin, and the daughter gone, they went to Hill's Station, sent messengers to alarm the settlers in Bond and Madison counties and as soon as possible Captain Pruett, Davy White and seven others went in pursuit. The Indians, having had several days start, were overtaken near where Springfield now stands. The girl was tied on a pony. At sight of her rescuers, she loosed her bands, jumped from the pony and started to meet them. An Indian threw a tomahawk. It stuck squarely in her back and thus her saviours found her. The girl afterward recovered, married and moved to Arkansas, where her husband was killed by Indians. Three miles north of Pocahontas is the grave of Cox and above it stands a monument erected by the people of that community a few years ago.
The killing of Henry Cox by the Indians is an entirely different story. Cox was an inmate of Hill's Fort but had built a cabin nearly a mile south of where Dudleyville now stands. One morning in August, 1815, Cox took his son, aged 15, and went, each on horseback, to his cabin. All appeared quiet when they rode up to the cabin. Cox told his son to ride down to the creek and water the horses, while, rifle in hand, he went to the door of the cabin. Pushing the door open, he saw an Indian in the house. Quick as a flash he raised his rifle and fired. He missed the Indian and his ball sunk in the log over the fireplace. At the same instant another Indian, concealed behind a tree, fired at Cox, the ball passing through his body and killing him instantly. Spattering the blood of Cox all over the door, the bullet imbedded itself in the wood. The Indians then ran to catch the boy with the horses and keep him from giving the alarm at the fort. In their attempt to capture him they became alarmed at the delay and finally shot him and buried him without going back to the body of his father. The boy was not found and it was believed that he was taken prisoner until after peace was made, when the Indians revealed the fate of the boy. The bullet holes and the splotch of Cox's blood on the cabin door were seen years afterward, when the property was owned by Abraham McCurley.

There is a tradition, handed down by James Mc. Gillespie, who came to Bond county in 1816, and who, in 1860, made written report of his reminiscenses to the Old Settlers' Association, that one Benjamin Henson came to Bond sometime before the war of 1812. Living in a hollow sycamore tree in Shoal Creek bottom, he feared no man and was content. It is related that at one time during the war of 1812, the forts were all abandoned on account of the Indian hostilities and Henson alone was left in his 8 by 10 sycamore tree, the only white inhabitant of the county. When the hostilities were over the settlers returned to find Henson unmolested. Henson is said to have piloted people across Shoal Creek at the foot of Mill Hill, Greenville, until the state, in 1824, gave $200 for a bridge to be placed across the stream at that point.

Near Jones' fort, in those early days; an Indian concealed himself in the dense foliage of a tree and picked off five men before he was discovered and shot. In August 1814, Major Journey, in command of Hill's Fort, flung open the gates and marched forth to look for Indians, leaving the garrison absolutely defenseless and the women milking the cows. The Indians surprised them, killed the Major and three of his men, and wounded the fifth, Thomas Higgins, whose escape was almost miraculous.

These are some of the scenes that went toward the making of Greenville, and, though the graves of the heroes, who fell at Hill's Fort and Jones' Fort, less than a hundred years ago, now go unmarked, the memory of their valorous deeds sticks deep in our minis, for they blazed the way for the founding, only a few miles to the northward, of the puny settlement, out of which our own fair city of Greenville has been evolved.

At the close of our last war with England, a treaty of peace was made with the Indians, the forts in Bond county were abandoned and straggling settlements began to form. The settlers came but slowly however, and in 1816 Bond county numbered but twenty-five cabins.

When Greenville was young.
HISTORY bears evidence that great achievements are wrought through much tribulation, and so it was in the founding of Greenville, for be it known that milk-sickness in Madison county caused George Davidson to sell his farm there and move to Bond county in 1815. The records show that he entered 160 acres of land, where Greenville now stands, September 27, 1816. He obtained the patent from His Excellency James Monroe, President of the United States, April 29, 1825. This land is described as the southeast quarter of Section No. 10, Township 5, north, Range 3, west of the third principal meridian. Mr. Davidson's cabin was built on the primitive style of logs with weight poles to hold the clap-board roof in place. The puncheon floor was made of slabs, split and hewn, and the carpenter had no use for nails, glass, putty, nor plaster. Mr. Davidson's cabin was located in the extreme western part of town, near the present residence of H. H. Staub. His family consisted of his wife, Jannet, two sons and two daughters. One son, Samuel, died of consumption, soon after coming here. One daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Caroline Blundell, lived at Healdsburg, California in 1876, and in a letter to one of the Greenville papers stated that her brother and the Reverend Green P. Rice, who followed George Davidson here, laid out some lots in the western part of Greenville. This plat of the old town was never recorded and there is a story to the effect that George Davidson, one day, in a fit of anger, tore the plat up and watched it burn to ashes in the fireplace.

The existence of this plat afterwards made trouble for the people who purchased lots, when the town was finally laid out. This part of the town, then laid out, as the original town, is now Davidson's addition.

Not long after he built his first cabin, George Davidson moved to the lot at the southwest corner of Sixth Street and Main Avenue (as it is to day) directly across the street south of the John Baumberger, Sr., homestead, and opened a tavern. In opening the first tavern in Greenville, Mr. Davidson again proved himself a public benefactor, for it was for many years a mecca for the wayfaring man, as well as a most convenient loafing place for those of the early gentry, who were wont to whittle and spit through the long winter evenings.

About this time the Reverend Green P. Rice arrived from Kentucky. He bought a part of George Davidson's land and, together with Samuel Davidson, opened the first store in Greenville. It is said that this store was only large enough to hold comfortably one wagon load of goods. The store was located on what is now Main Avenue and Sixth Street. Mrs. Blundell, in her letter, stated that Mr. Rice became involved in some trouble about some slaves he brought from Kentucky, and, selling his interests to Cyrus Birge, left the country.

James, Ansel and Cyrus Birge, three brothers, came to Greenville from Poultney, Vermont. Cyrus kept the store until 1824, when he sold his stock to his brother, Ansel, who carried on the business for eight years. Ansel Birge, during this time, married Miss Millicent Clay Twiss, a sister of Willard Twiss, to whom he sold the store in 1833, and moved to his farm one mile south of Greenville. This store was the chief public institution of the town, when Greenville became the county seat in 1821.

Seth, Samuel and Elisha Blanchard came to Greenville in 1820 and entered 1600 acres of land, a part of which is the farm now owned by Mrs. L. K. King, a mile east of town, at the top of "Blanchard's Hill," which derives its name from them. They built a cabin in town and opened a store. Seth managed the farm, Elisha conducted the store and Samuel traded to New Orleans, and they prospered. Soon after Mr. Blanchard opened the store, travel became more general and a tavern was opened in connection. A huge pair of antlers, erected over a sign made of a hewn board, printed with a coal from the hearth, announced the welcome news that here was the "Buck and Horn Tavern." This institution with a few other log cabins formed the original town of Greenville. David Berry later became owner of the tavern and then it passed into the hands of Thomas Dakin, who owned it many years.

There were no saloons in Greenville in those days, but the merchants all kept whiskey and treated the customers, who called for it.

In the summer of 1818, many families, including Samuel White and George Donnell, moved here from North Carolina and Kentucky. The principal families in Greenville then were, in addition to those already mentioned,, the Kirkpatricks, Camps, Goss, Rutherfords, Fergusons and old Father Elam, who lived where the old graveyard is now located. At his home were held the religious meetings, which always ended with the minister shaking hands with everybody during the singing of the last song.

Good Old Father Asahel Enloe was the singing school teacher and the school master, and many a time in early days, did the youngsters of Greenville willingly obey his dictum, as he stood in the doorway of the school house and cried, "Books, books, come to books." His copies were equal to Spencer's best copper plate and his chirography is still well preserved in the county records.

In a letter dated at Paola, Kansas, June 20, 1876, Mrs. Almira Morse, one of the best known women the city has produced, and for whom Almira College was named, stated that the first school house in Greenville was on the northeast corner of the public square. The square was laid out in 1821, and Samuel Blanchard assisted John Russell in making the survey. Mrs. Morse says:
"Once a year came 'Parade Day," when Colonel Stout, accoutered in regimentals, epaulets and white cockade, mounted on a charger, was marshal of the motley company.

"There was one colored family in the place. Old Aunt Fanny, with her three children, bought her freedom of her master in Kentucky, and in Greenville earned a good living by washing and nursing. One day while she was washing at Mr. Blanchard's two men suddenly rode up on horseback, and demanded Aunt Fanny and her children, as runaway slaves. She declared she had her free papers at home, and with prayers and tears, besought them to leave her, but her entreaties were unheeded and Aunt Fanny was bound to a horse and with her children behind them, the men rode away. They were armed with rifles, pistols and knives and no one dared to interfere. When part way to St. Louis, however, a party from Reno overtook them. The family was rescued and returned home.

"Our town once had a visit from Lorenzo Dow, who stopped at the tavern, and old Mr. Twiss went over to argue him out of his religion but the eccentric old saint got the better of him. He preached upon the hill north of town. He sat in his chair, while preaching, for two hours or more."

Greenville Becomes the County Seat.
When in 1817, Bond county, which previous to that time had been a part of Edwards, was established by an act of the territorial legislature, the county seat was fixed at Hill's Fort until a commission appointed for that purpose, could choose a permanent location.

On April 15, 1817, this committee reported that they had selected a site on the west bank of the Hurricane, which on account of its natural advantages, the commission considered a desirable location for the seat of justice. Accordingly the new county seat was platted and named Perryville. Three years later, however, the formation of new counties out of the then pretentious Bond, left Perryville In Fayette county, and unfortunate for the youthful city, with its court house and jail, remote from the geographical center.

The undoing of Perryville, however, redounded to the good of Greenville, and Bond county in 1821, reduced to nearly her present dimensions, turned her eyes to the center of her domain and there beheld, sitting loftily on the bluffs of Shoal Creek, the town laid out in 1819 by George Davidson.

The selection of Greenville as a permanent seat of justice for Bond county came about by legislative enactment and the same legislature that placed Perryville in Fayette county, also appointed James B. Moore, Samuel Whitesides, Abraham Eyeman, Joshua Ogelsby and John Howard commissioners to locate the county seat in Bond, provided the proprietor of the land selected would donate to the county for the purpose specified, at least twenty acres of land. This commission was also detailed to fix the damages sustained by the proprietors of Perryville, in consequence of the removal of the county seat from that place. After due deliberation, the commissioners fixed upon a tract of twenty acres of land in the northeast corner of the original town of Greenville, then belonging to George Davidson. The act provided for the land to be selected in a body. William Russell, Robt. McCord and Jno. Kirkpatrick, then county judges, held a session of the county court on April 18, 1821, and having under consideration the said location, made a demand on Mr. Davidson for the twenty acres immediately around and contiguous to a stake driven by the commissioners. Mr. Davidson, by his attorney, Benjamin Mills, executed a bond to the county commissioners with Peter Hubbard and John Kirkpatrick as securities, agreeing to transfer the land for the purposes selected, excepting therefrom a small tract previously sold to Samuel Whitcomb, and for which Whitcomb held Davidson's bond for a deed. The court declined to act at this time, but at a session held June 5, 1821, Mr. Davidson was permitted to withdraw and cancel the bond previously executed by him to the court, and substitute a new bond for the same purpose with Samuel G. Blanchard, Robert G. White, Samuel Whitcomb, Daniel Ferguson, Milo Wood and Samuel Houston as securities. The court accepted this bond and Greenville was henceforth acknowledged to be, in fact and in law, the permanent seat of justice of Bond county.

The first county court held at the new county seat of Greenville was on June 4 and 5, 1821, William Russell, Robert McCord and John Kirkpatrick being the judges. The first circuit court was held at Greenville on July 12, 1821, with Hon. Joseph Phillips, judge; Samuel Houston, sheriff; and James M. Johnson, clerk. The petit jury was composed of John D. Alexander, John White, George Denny, James Wafer, Andrew Finley, Alexander Robinson, James McCord, Richard Worley, John Prickett, William Gracey, Silas Lee Wait, Abel Sparks Charles Gillham, Jr., Wm. M. Stewart, Philip Moore, James B. Rutherford, Milo Wood, Wm. Black, Samuel Whitcomb, Harrison Kirkpatrick, James Kirkpatrick, Jr., Absolom Watkins, John Loughlan and Wyatt Stubblefield.

By order of the county court part of the land donated by Davidson was laid off into town lots, and on the first Monday in July, 1821, thirty lots were exposed for sale, the town having been surveyed by John Russell the June previous. The proceeds from the sale of these lots was used for the erection of a court house.

Mr. Davidson, in many ways one of Greenville's greatest benefactors, and his wife Jennet, remained in the town until 1827, when they moved to Galena, Jo Daviess county, realizing but little for their property.

In 1821, when the sale of public lots was held, the present public square was covered with a dense growth of cottonwood and sycamore trees. This was all cleared off by Asahel Enloe and his sons, who planted the land in corn. At a session of the county court in September, 1821, it was ordered that a court house for Bond county be let to the lowest bidder and when the bids were opened, it was found that Robert G. White's bid of $2,135 was the lowest. This bid was accepted September 19, 1821, and he gave bond for the faithful performance of his duties. The sale of the town lots brought $1,338 and the judges of the county court entered into bond for the remainder. The court house was made of a poor quality of brick and was badly damaged by storms before it was completed, which was not until 1822. The court room was heated by an old-fashioned fire place. No stoves were in use in Greenville at that time, nor for a long time afterward.

There was little respect for the temple of justice and its custodians were sorely beset for means for its preservation. It was the delight of the small boy, hiding behind tree or bush, to hurl stones through the eight by ten window panes, just to hear the glass fall crashing before their aim. Nevertheless the building of this court house was the first real impetus given the town, outside the start given it by Davidson himself. The population of the county at this time was 2,931 and the village of Greenville contained but a few houses, a hotel and a store or two.

Origin of Greenville's Name
AUTHORITIES differ as to the origin of the name given Greenville. There is a story to the effect that Mr. Thomas White, the oldest man present when the town was first surveyed in 1821, was asked to name the town and thereupon, casting his eyes over the green woods, readily answered:

"Everything looks so green and nice, we will call it Greenville." Others say that Mr. White named it for Greenville in North Carolina. Another legend is to the effect that Greenville took the name of Green P. Rice, the Cumberland Presbyterian minister, who resided here at an early date, and was the first Greenville merchant. Allen Comer, who came here in 1817, is authority for the last story, but Mr. White is commonly given credit for having named the town. At any rate it was well named and to this day, as in the beginning, Greenville is noted far and wide, for the many beautiful trees that surround and interlace it-a city in a veritable green forest.

Taxes and Slavery in 1818
OLD records show that the assessment of tax for the year 1817 was $161.50, which was charged to the sheriff for collection. It is also recorded that one Samuel Hill paid a tax of one dollar on one negro. Of the $161.50 tax, $106 was used to pay for the killing of fifty-three wolves.

The tax of 1818 was $279.50. The first county order ever issued was to Moses Shipman, for a wolf scalp and the amount was $2.00. In 1818 the following tax was assessed on property owned in the county: "For each bond servant or slave, 16 years old, 100 cents; for each young man, 21 years old and upwards, 100 cents; for each Horse creature, three year old, 50 cents."
In 1817 there were seven slaves in Bond county, under the age of 15 years, registered, as provided by law, in the office of the county clerk. They were owned by Martin Jones, William Vollentine, Hardy Vollentine, one each, and H. Kirkpatrick, four. In 1824 a vote on the question of slavery was taken in Illinois and Bond county voted 63 for and 240 against.

Some Early Industries
A SHORT time after George Davidson came here, Paul Beck arrived and located near the present site of the old cemetery. He was one of the first to follow Davidson here and was Greenville's first manufacturer. He built the first mill in Bond county in 1817, near the old cemetery. It is described as a "little band horse mill" and every customer had to hitch his own horse to the mill and grind his own corn. The bolt for the flour was turned by hand. Some people carried their grain in a sack on horseback, a distance of ten miles, to Beck's mill and were compelled, in many cases, to wait for three days "before their turn at the grind. Near the mill was a fine spring, which was named "Beck's Spring."

In 1818 Asahel Enloe settled on the highest point of the present old cemetery, but a short time afterward he and his sons Ezekiel and James moved to a point about eighty rods southeast of the present Vandalia railroad depot, living near each other in separate houses. Samuel Davidson, a son of the founder of Greenville, married Miss Violet Enloe, a daughter of Asahel Enloe.

Wyatt Stubblefield was another early settler. He entered the land adjoining old Greenville on the east and operated a cotton gin and a horse mill.

In those early days Samuel and Thomas White came to Greenville. Thomas White taught one of the first schools, in 1819, in a little log cabin near the tanyard, which his brother, Samuel White put in operation. This was the first tannery in the county and was located in the western part of Greenville. Soon after he and Moses Hinton put in operation a spinning machine in Greenville, but it was soon demonstrated that cotton could not be raised with any success here and the mill was closed down.

In 1822 James Rutherford commenced the manufacture of hats in Greenville, and carried on the business for several years. Edward Elam was Greenville's first blacksmith. He opened a shop in 1819, and was assisted by his younger brother, Joel.

Among the other early residents of Greenville and vicinity although they were not engaged in industrial work, were George Donnell, who came here in 1819 from North Carolina and was the leader of the first Sunday school ever taught in the county; Samuel G. Morse, who was the first sheriff; Daniel Converse, the first county clerk; Francis Travis, the first county treasurer; James Wafer, Daniel Ferguson, Robert Gillespie, Williamson Plant, William Robinson, William S. Wait and others.

Greenville in the twenties
THE ground already covered takes up to the 20's and marks the first epoch in the history of Greenville. With the location of the county seat in Greenville in 1821 a spark of new life was infused into the settlement and more people were attracted to the place, because of the fact it had arisen to the dignity of a county seat town.
The earliest records on file in the county clerk's office bear date of May 7, 1821, and read as follows:
"Agreeable to an act of the general . assembly to remove the seat of justice from Perryville to Greenville, Bond County, the court of probate met at the clerk's office on Monday, the seventh of May, 1821, with Thomas Kirkpatrick as judge." The records show that the probate court held its sessions, or at least some of them, at the dwelling of Seth Blanchard in 1822. Judge Benjamin Mills presided at this time. In 1823 John Gillmore was judge.

The earliest records on file in the office of the circuit clerk bear a date of July 18, 1817, three years before Greenville was the county seat. This record shows that Simon Lindley, of Madison county, transferred 160 acres of land for $100 to John Lindley. The land is described as the northwest quarter of section 32, township 5, range 3, west of the third principal meridian. There were no more transfers until September 2, 1817, when Robert Gillespie sold 320 acres to Jonathan Crowley, of Virginia, for $960.

The census of 1820 gives Bond county a population of 2,931. Greenville was still confined to the extreme western part of the present city, now known as Davidson's Addition, which includes the greater part of Greenville west of Fourth Street, between North and Summer. Present Main Avenue and [??] Street was the business center then and for many years afterwards. During the period of the twenties Seth Blanchard, Cyrus and Ansel Birge, Thomas Long, Samuel White and William Durley operated stores; most of them in the old brick building on the southwest corner of Main and Sixth, which stood south of the John Baumberger, Sr., homestead until a few years ago, when it was torn down. Dr. J. B. Drake was a physician and merchant of this period.

In 1827 Bond county gave but 250 votes, but in the following year immigration from Tennessee and Kentucky increased the population to a considerable extent.

In the twenties Greenville was a typical frontier town, composed of a cluster of log cabins, a tumbledown brick court house and a frame building or two. All east of the present square was "out in the country," and was merely a dense growth of hazel brush.

During the twenties Samuel White sold his tannery to J. Harvey Black and opened a store in 1829, on the northeast corner of Sixth and Main. Thomas Long bought out Mr. Blanchard's stock of goods and for a while his brother, Rev. Peter Long, clerked for him. Mr. Long soon sold out to Dr. J. B. Drake and William Durley, who continued the business where the present Drake House now stands. Dr. Drake, in a few years, bought the entire stock and continued in business for twenty five years.

Cyrus Birge kept a store on lot No. 8, Davidson's Addition from 1819 to 1824, when he sold out to his brother, Ansel, who continued in business for at least eight years.

In 1822, by order of the court, a "stray pen" was built in Greenville. It was 40 feet square and six feet high and was built for the purpose of confining stray stock. On court days and other public occasions the people who had lost stock, would go to the stray pen and endeavor to identify their property.

An abstract of the poll books of an election held in Greenville August 2, 1824, for county officers shows that for Sheriff, Hosea Camp had 151 votes, William White 97, Henry Williams, 47; for County Commissioners, Ransom Geer had 224, Robert McCord, 209; Asahel Enloe, 171; George Donnell, 107 and George Davidson 101. For Coroner, Robert W. Denny had 122, Edwin A. Mars, 8 and James Durley, 6. The returns were attested by Asahel Enloe, J. P. and Leonard Goss, J. P.

Greenville from 1830 to 1840.
THE census of 1830 shows but a small gain in ten years in Bond county, nevertheless the county seat had made some advancement both in point of business and population. The town was now beginning to reach out timidly toward the east. A new frame court house succeeded the crumbling brick structure and was completed in 1832 on the present square. A new jail had also been built.

Greenville in the thirties is best described by Joseph T. Fouke, who came here in 1830, and who is still a resident of Greenville.
Mr. Fouke says that his earliest recollection of Greenville in 1830 was the digging of a public well at the corner of Main and Sixth streets, by "Black" Jim Davis, Royer and Hicks. The men quarreled over a dog fight and finally fought and Miss Hicks came out of the house and threatened to whip all the men and the dogs thrown in. The following is Mr. Fouke's description of Greenville in 1830:

"In 1830 Seth Blanchard kept a hotel across the street south of the old Drake House. The south half of the building was log and the north half frame. It was two stories and a porch extended along the west side of the building. Mr. Blanchard had his log stables on the ground where Sheriff Floyd now resides. South of Blanchard's tavern was a square room where Dr. J. B. Drake ran a store. This square room is still standing with additions built to it, on the same ground, and in my opinion is the oldest house in town. Across the street, west of the tavern, Samuel White's brick residence stood. This building was also used as a store in the early days and was torn down only a few years ago. South of Mr. White lived John T. Walker in a log cabin, near the present residence of Leitle McCracken. Still farther south lived Mr. Benson in a log cabin and opposite the present residence of W. A. McLain lived John Maddux in a log cabin. There was a cabin in the middle of the street in front of the residence of Fritz Streiff, and Mr. Perigen lived in a cabin near the old cemetery. Back of the present residence of Mrs. Agnes J. Mulford was a log cabin, where the school was taught. It was the first school of which I have recollection. Q. C. Alexander was the teacher. Where H. H. Staub lives was the cabin of Harvey Black. This was probably the first cabin ever built in Greenville, the one built by George Davidson in 1815, although this fact is not definitely established. Mr. Davidson, however, built his cabin on this spot and Black's cabin is supposed to have been the same one. Straight west, at the bottom of the hill, Mr. Black had his tanyard.

"Where the present residence of Mrs John H. Jett stands was Berry's tavern, where circuit court was sometimes held. On the site of the present Baumberger homestead, Ansel Birge had his store. The Drake house was not then built. East of the site of the present Drake house lived John Ackeridge, a famous hunter, who scarcely ever went out for a tramp without bringing home a deer. Near the present residence of Peter Hentz, Major Davis kept a tavern and lived across the street east, where Emil Brice now resides. There were no other houses until the west side of the present square is reached and there, in about the center of the block, James B. Rutherford lived in a frame house and to the north had a log house in which he made hats. This hat manufacturing establishment stood on the site of the present post office building. There was a log cabin near the present residence of Mrs. K. M. Bennett and Daniel Ferguson had a cabin at the north end of Fifth Street, as it is today. That constituted the village of Greenville in 1830. Near the present residence of E. E. Cox was the suburban home of Samuel Whitcomb, a frame building, and one of the aristocratic residences of the village. This Whitcomb house was in later years moved to the lot south of the residence of Judge A. G. Henry, where it stood until a few years ago, when it was torn down. The court house stood where the present one stands, but it practically marked the eastern confines of the town. To the east and south, there was nothing but underbrush and a few forest trees. One of the two main roads into town came in on the south, up present Fifth street to present College Avenue and up through the present lawn of Dr. B. F. Coop to Oak street, thence through the middle of what is now Moss Addition and through the south part of S. S. Trindle's eighty striking the main road at the present suburban home of C. E. Cook. Another road came in from the direction of the present farm of Mrs. L. K. King, down Blanchard's hill, past the public school building and on the north side of the old elm that stands near the residence ot George O. Morris and up to the business center and down the hill back of the barn of Samuel White and thence to the spring at the tan-yard, past Wash Lake, to the Shoal Creek ford and westward. There were no hollows and ravines in the west end of town then, as now. Religious services were held in the court house in those days and there were no churches in Greenville until later. Dr. J. B. Drake built the Drake House about 1833, and it was considered the finest house in town by far. In this Dr. Drake lived and kept store for many years. At that time the whole county voted at Greenville and most of the elections were held in the east end of the Berry House. The voting was done by voice and the name of the voter and the party for whom he voted were recorded. Seth Blanchard sold out his tavern and store to Thomas Keyes and William S. Smith, who came here in 1832 from Virginia. Mrs. Keyes kept tavern, while her husband farmed and Mr. Smith remained in the mercantile business in this location for 18 years. Thomas Smith ran a store on the southwest corner of the public square, and conducted it as a branch of the old store until 1845 when the old store was closed and the two brothers joined venture on the square.

"Long rows of wagons could be seen in the thirties unloading at the old store, after returning from St. Louis, laden with goods. Keyes and Smith sold the hotel to Thomas Dakin who kept it many years and it afterward was kept a year or two by Enrico Gaskins, who later moved to the north side of the square into the house built by John T. Morgan.

Later on in the thirties other buildings were erected, among them the Franklin House and in 1842 Charles Hoiles erected the frame building now standing on the south side of the square and used as a barber shop."

Stephen Morse taught school in the court house in the thirties, Miss Prime taught in a log house in the village and Almira Morse for whom Almira College was named, taught in a frame school house two miles south of Greenville. A little frame school house was built in 1832 on the road to Vandalia, and John Buchanan, father of John T. Buchanan, helped build it. It was used minus doors and windows that summer, and snakes and lizards often whisked in close proximity to the bare feet of the children. The old court house, which had been used as a school house, fell down that summer. The next year the little frame school house was moved upon land owned by Daniel Ferguson and the doors and windows put in. Daniel Ferguson's land was on the site of the residence of Dr. W. T. Easley.

During the thirties the leading merchants in addition to those already named were Willard Twiss, L. D. Plant, Morse and Brothers, J. M. Davis and Albert Allen.

The well alluded to by J. T. Fouke was the only well in Greenville in 1830. It was public property and was very deep and was also frequently out of repair. The wells and water system of Greenville are treated in a separate chapter, of this history.

During the thirties the stage route was in operation. It was a common expression of warning in those days to say "Look out for the stage," for the stage would look out for no one. The route came into Greenville along the Old National road and, passing along the north side of the square and down the west side, turned west on Main to the Berry tavern. Frank Berry, son of mine host, was one of the stage drivers. After a rest and change of horses, the lumbering old coach would go clattering out of town on the St. Louis road. There was one stage each way every day, with relays every ten miles. The driver whipped along at a gallop and the ten or a dozen passengers were rocked from side to side with a recklessness born of the early stage drivers.

In 1838, R. F. White cut the trees off the ground where the State Bank of Hoiles and Sons now stands and established a blacksmith shop on the ground. He was a cousin of Prof. J. B. White and a brother-in-law of John S. Hall.
Parker, Keyes and Lansing had a "still house" in 1838 in the hollow northwest of the old graveyard. They piped water from the spring in wooden pipes to the distillery. They made a great deal of whiskey and shipped it away to St. Louis.

C. H. Stephens, an old settler, read his reminiscenses of Greenville as he remembered it in 1834, before the Old Settlers' Association in 1890. He stated that on the west side of the St. Louis road Edward Elam and his father lived. The house stood where the present residence of W. A. McLain now is. They carried on the only blacksmith shop in Greenville and Joel Elam was learning the trade of his brother Edward. Mr. Stephens says that in 1834 provisions were low in Greenville. Hogs sold for $1.50 per hundred, corn for 25 cents per bushel, wheat 37 1-2 cents per bushel " and as for potatoes" he says, "we could not get them for love nor money. I was on the grand jury in the fall of 1835 and the jurors received fifty cents per day and boarded themselves." Mr. Stephens, in his reminiscenses, says there were no buggies in 1834 and very few two-horse wagons. For the most part people traveled on foot or on horseback, and if a young man wanted to take his best girl to church, he would take her up on his horse behind him and trot off four or five miles and think nothing of it.

Greenville in the Forties
IN the forties the business center was transferred from the west end to the public square where it has since remained. The population of the county had jumped to 5,000 but Greenville was still under 300 inhabitants. The slow settlement of the country and the location of railroads on each side of the town held Greenville back. In 184 6 the subject of railroads was agitated. A charter was proposed in the General Assembly for a road from Terre Haute to St. Louis, but the policy of the state, at that time, was to give Alton the benefit of being the terminus of all railroads that terminated on the eastern bank of the Mississippi river near St. Louis, in order to overshadow the latter city. And so it was that the Greenville railroad project was knocked in the head by the mistaken idea of upbuilding Alton to the detriment of St. Louis.

By Judge S. A. Phelps.
"In the fall of 1843, I first came to Illinois and first formed the idea of becoming a settler of Bond county. I came from Mississippi, but was a sort of a York yankee. When I reached St. Louis, I got in a stage coach and was ferried across the river. Where East St. Louis now stands the ferry boat butted itself against the bank. There was no platform and nothing to receive the stage except dirt. The stage went up the bank of the Mississippi and on the road to Edwardsville, we did not see a fence, nor a field of corn or wheat in all that trip. The next day I hired a horse and came to Greenville, putting up at the old stage house, on the northwest corner of the square, where the store of Weise and Bradford now stands. It was the best house in town, two stories high, with a double porch on the front, and withal a fine building for those days.

"East of this hotel on the north side of the square, was a small frame house in which Enrico Gaskins afterwards lived. On the spot where Joy and Co's store now stands, was a blacksmith shop run by Isaac Smith, a brother of Wm. S. Smith. On the corner immediately south was a small store kept by S. B. Bulkley, and afterwards by Alexander Buie. A little way below that was a one story frame building afterwards used as a hotel. On the corner where Masonic Temple now stands was an old two story frame house. It was the headquarters for every unlicensed saloon that was started. These unlicensed saloons always ran until the grand jury met. In a hollow where Dixon's store now stands, there was a small frame house in which D. P. Hagee lived, and had a tailor shop. A blacksmith shop stood on the ground where the State Bank of Hoiles and Sons is now. It was operated by a man by the name of White. Next to the alley on the south side of the square was the frame building, which is still standing and is now known as the Miller building. In this building lived Charles Hoiles, father of C. D. Hoiles, President of the State Bank, and of S. M. Hoiles, now deceased. In the corner room of this building Mr. Hoiles had started a store. Later on he moved to the site of the present Thomas House. There were no buildings from the alley west to the corner. On the corner was a small, one story building which was conspicuously labeled "Allen" but was vacant. On the corner where Hussong's store stood prior to the fire of Oct. 27, 1904, was the store of Morse and Brothers, a one story brick and frame, and a little farther to the north was a story and a half hewed log building used as a furniture store. Still a little farther north was the one story law office of M. G. Dale. On the present Post Office corner was another log house. Dr. J. W. Fitch had his office where Mulford and Monroe's drug store now stands and his house where the Bennett residence now is.

"The people were moral and upright. Very little use was, there for constables, marshals, juries or courts. They had no marshal and no mayor in Greenville in those days, only a constable and a justice of the peace. Of course there were occasional offenses against the law but as a whole the people compared favorably in morality, honesty and intelligence with the people of today.
"When I came to Greenville, I found that the county was a temperance county and there was not a licensed saloon in it. It so continued for thirty, if not forty years. People could vote any where in the county for the judges took it for granted that we would vote but once. That was before the days of "repeaters."

"There were plenty of good springs here and that was the reason Greenville was located here. When I came to Greenville there was a spring, a kind of reservoir at the bottom of the hill and we used to ride down and water our horses. The spring, however, was rather inconvenient and so a public spirited man sunk a well on the south west corner of the square. It was 70 feet deep but was not much of a success on account of quicksand, and the bucket invariably came up only half full. They had just commenced the fad of making cisterns when I came to Greenville.

"The schools scattered throughout the country gave evidence of the intelligence of the country. They had commenced the church building which was torn down in 1903. Subscription papers were circulated for this church, with a school under the basement, and, when I came to Greenville, the church was completed and in use, but they had not completed the school part and there were those who did not relish this action. So in 1842, Deacon Saunders made his trip to the east on foot to raise money to complete the building. He was successful and the basement was finished. The school in 1845 was held in a little brick building that was torn down a few years ago at the west end of Main Street. When the church with the school building under it was completed, the event was properly celebrated with dedicatory exercises. Among others I received an invitation and all the best men and women of Greenville were there. I was called upon to make a few remarks and did so apparently to the satisfaction of those assembled. The school was commenced that fall and was continued in the basement of that church for a good many years. That was not the only case of the public spirit of the people of Greenville. When Wm. S. Wait laid out his land into lots he laid out a large lot as Academy Square. This Academy Square is the site of our present magnificent school building. The same spirit was shown by others.

"Greenville has progressed and is an entirely new town. Greenville of 1844 has passed away; a new town has come.
"Greenville was, however, quite a thriving business place in '44, having four good stores and no saloons. There were no factories, except the blacksmith shops, where they made plows and now and then a wagon. Now we have factories and the volume of business has increased ten-fold or more. In '44 we had an every other day stage. It went east one day and the next day west. It carried all the passengers and the driver had the mail sack under his feet. When he drew near the post office, he heralded his coming with a tin horn. This was our best means of transportation.

"Compare this with the great Vandalia railroad, running its long trains of palace coaches through the city many times a day and you have a proper comparison of the business between the dates of 1844 and 1905. A little stage coach represents 1844 and the Vandalia Railroad represents 1905. This is the kind of progress we have been making and I want you to look forward with me to the future with the same degree of hope and the same degree of confidence. I can see no reason why we cannot look forward to this same continued prosperity; why the coming years may not hold achievements as great or greater than those of the century of 1800, right here in Greenville."

Cholera Epidemic of 1849.
IN 1849, Greenville was visited by a terrible epidemic of cholera and many deaths resulted. The only account of this scourge, the worst that has ever visited Greenville, is preserved by Mr. Jacob Koonce, in the Western Fountain, which paper copied the following from the issue of the Greenville Journal of July 20, 1849.

"The Cholera, this mighty agent of death, has spread destruction in our village since our last issue. Our lively and business like town has put on the habiliments of mourning and sadness.

"The first case of cholera, in our town, was the stage driver to whom we referred last week. He is recovering. The next, we also alluded to last week-a young woman named Sarah Woosley, living with the family of Charles Hoiles Esq. She was taken on Friday morning last and died on Saturday morning about two o'clock. This was the first death from cholera.
"Early the same morning a child of Dr. Sprague's, two or three years old was taken and died in five or six hours. The same day Charles Horton Esq., an infant child of C. Hoiles, Esq., a daughter of Mrs. Kellam's aged 11 or 12 years, and I. N. Reed were all taken. The infant died in the afternoon some time; Mr. Horton died about 11 o'clock and Isadora Kellam about 12 o'clock the same night. Mr. Reed died about four o'clock Sunday afternoon.

"There have been other cases of cholera but these are all the deaths, and these all occurred in less than 48 hours."

In the issue of the Journal of July 27, 1849 the editor says:
"Since our last issue there have been two more deaths from cholera, Mrs. Park and Mr. Hopton, but no cases have come to our knowledge since Monday last."

There were 13 cases of cholera and eight deaths. The Journal says: "Some of our citizens have, perhaps, become unnecessarily alarmed and a number have left with their families. It is due to our physicians to state that they have attended the sick during the present crisis, with an industry and self-denial worthy of all praise. Some of our citizens have also distinguished themselves for their unyielding and disinterested care for the sick and if from this worthy number we were requested to designate, we might speak the names of Rev. Robert Stewart and Elam Rust, Esq."
To these names we may also add the names of J. P. Garland, Wyatt Causey, Isaac Enloe and others.
Greenville had splendid physicians in the forties and fifties, Dr. Drake, Dr. Fitch, Dr. Brooks and Dr. Brown. Dr. Brooks met death by suffocation in 1874 at his home in the brick building that stood across the alley east of the old Baptist church.

Greenville in the fifties
INCREASED business on every hand marks the period from 1850 to 1860. In 1850 the first government census was taken in Greenville, the population being 378. The census of 1860 shows a population of 1000 which tells the story of the growth of this period.

W. S. and T. W. Smith, Morse and Brother, Charles Hoiles and G. W. Hill were still in business and E. A. Floyd, Elliott and Kershner, A. W. Hynes, Barr and Elliott and many others come upon the scene. The hotels had by this time centered at or near the public square. The St. Charles Hotel was kept by E. R. McCord and the Franklin House by Franklin G. Morse, from whom it took its name. From this time on business increased to such an extent that it would be practically an impossibility to note all the changes in detail.

All south of the brick building now used as Plant's Livery stables on Third street was timber and brush in 1857. A few years later R. L. Mudd built a home near the present residence of George O. Morris, and everybody told him he was building so far out in the timber that none of his friends could find him. Some of the big trees that formed the forest of the fifties are still standing on this property. The eastern limits of the town then were about the present site of the Methodist parsonage, and east of that was the farm of Samuel White.

The Drake house was one of the finest, even then, and the present Wirz building on the south side of the square was the largest business house, except the Sprague block, which was built by Dr. Anson Sprague in 1857. The Sprague block was so large that no one had the courage to occupy it, until Charles Hoiles bought it and opened a store therein.
Robert G. Ingersoll came to Greenville with his father in 1851, remaining here a year. His father, the Reverend John Ingersoll, was pastor of the Congregational church. The old gentleman was quite eccentric. One son Clark, was a clerk in G. W. Hill's store and was afterward elected to Congress.

Ingersoll and his father boarded for a time with the family of Wm. S. Colcord. They also boarded with the Reverend W. D. H. Johnson. "Bob" was then seventeen years of age and was extraordinarily bright for one of his age. For six months he was seatmate of E. J. C. Alexander, who now lives on his farm north of Greenville. They attended school in the basement of the old Congregational church, Socrates Smith being the teacher. "Bob" was very devout in those days. He lived in Greenville for about two years and it was while here that he commenced writing poetry, some of which was printed in the Greenville Journal, at the time.

Some of Greenville's citizens were not deaf to the wants of the refugee slaves, who were on their way from the sunny south to Canada. It has been handed down by tradition that the Reverend Robert Stewart gave many a slave shelter and food and helped him on his way. Such assistance in those days was called the "Underground Railroad."
Several times an effort has been made to mark with marble the spot where Lincoln and Douglas delivered their memorable addresses in Greenville. The visits of these intellectual giants were coveted by many towns but were secured by but few. Greenville, however, was one of the favored ones and Lincoln and Douglas spoke at different times in Greenville in 185S, near the residence property of Miss Sallie Colcord.

In the course of his speech Lincoln-said that although Bond county was called the "Widow Bond" and was in the way of territory one of the most insignificant in Illinois, she towered way above many larger ones in the intellectuality of her people. He said he had practiced law all around Bond county but had little occasion to practice in it, for there seemed so little contention among the people, that litigation was scarcely known.

Douglas had ridden twenty miles through the heat and dust and after pushing his way through a throng, such as Greenville never had harbored before, he sought opportunity to refresh and re-clothe himself in his room at the old McCord House, on the east side of the square. But the cries of the multitude were so great and so persistent, that it was deemed best that he should say a few words to them at once. He stepped out on the upper floor of the two story veranda, which adorned the front of the hotel and talked probably five minutes. He was in his stocking feet, bareheaded and in his shirtsleeves. The sight of him and the words he spoke brought forth the most enthusiastic applause and so reassured the surging throng that they were content to disperse until after dinner, when the speaking was held. While here he was the guest of his warm personal friend, Charles Hoiles.

Greenville in the Sixties
THE period of Greenville's history from 1860 to 1870 stands out prominently because of two things, the participation of its citizenship in the Civil War and the great industrial impetus given the city by the building of the Vandalia Line. Both of these subjects are fully treated in separate chapters, in this history.

The early sixties were troublous times in Greenville as elsewhere in this country. The people lived on excitement and news from the front was eagerly sought.

News from the battle field usually came by mail from St. Louis, reaching Greenville with the stagecoach from Carlyle in the afternoon. "Victories were celebrated at night with bonfires in the court yard and the ringing of church bells by the youngsters, until most of the grown people, patriotic as they were, wished there hai been no battle and no victory to celebrate.

One day in 1863 the mail brought the news of a great victory for the Union arms and the patriots were celebrating in the southeast section of the court yard, when a premature explosion of the cannon killed a Mr. Zimmerman, one of the gunners and badly injured a man named Bates.

Every night the streets were patrolled and many were the nights of vigil in the homes of Greenville's citizens. One hundred guns and ammunition were procured and at one time, in December 1864, a military post was established in Greenville, in charge of Lieutenant R. H. Moses, with quarters in the court house. Even in 1861 a company was formed, primarily for the purpose of combating Clingman's Band. Clingman was a noted guerilla and horsethief and operated in Bond, Montgomery and Fayette counties. His real name was said to be Erasmus Wood.

On August 4, 1861, a band of Greenville and Bond county men formed a party to attack Clingman, who was thought to be encamped near Van Burensburg from fifty to one thousand strong. The attacking party numbered six hundred, including those from Montgomery county. Some fifteen or twenty men, said to have been under the leadership of John H. Jett, were scouring the county near its north boundary line, when a squad of some thirty five men, under command of Lieutenant Joel B. Paisley, a veteran soldier, were discovered at a halt, watering their horses. Each party mistook the other for Clingman's Band. Paisley, at once, made a strategic movement upon Jett's party for the purpose of hemming them in the lane and forcing a surrender. It did not take long for Jett's force which was the smaller and was composed entirely of citizens, to decide upon a retreat. Accordingly they put whip and spur to their horses in order to pass out at the mouth of the lane before the others could reach it. They barely escaped and the race continued for seven miles, with the swiftest speed of which the horses were capable. T. S. Hubbard, one of Jett's men was overtaken and asked to surrender and failing to do so was shot twice. Paisley's men, at first, did not recognize Hubbard, and Hubbard, on the other hand, did not recognize his captors. Finally, however, the recognition was mutual and further hostilities were averted.

The Greenville company, under the able leadership of Sheriff Plant made a brilliant campaign but Clingman was never encountered and he finally left the country, but not until he had done considerable damage.

One of the tragedies of this period in Greenville was the murder of Captain Samuel G. McAdams. Among others Captain McAdams was summoned by Provost Marshal Murdock to assist in the arrest of one Jacob Sanner, who lived near Bethel. They went to Sanner's house at nine o'clock the night of December 8, 1864, with the expectation of finding some deserters, as it was said that Sanner harboured such persons. The marshal first approached the door and made his business known, and being refused admittance, the Captain stepped up, and, taking hold of the door knob, said to Sanner that he had better not offer any resistance but comply with the law and he would be treated like a man. Sanner refused and at the same time made some threat. Captain McAdams replied that he was not afraid but that he insisted on what he had a lawful right to do. At that Sanner fired a musket through the door shutter, the entire load taking effect in the Captain's abdomen, making eight holes in his person, there being one ball and seven buck shot in the gun. The Captain fell, but soon arose and helped himself off the porch and then fell again.

Five or six men were seen to pass from the -house at the time, two more than were with the Provost Marshal. Several shots were fired by the marshal and his men but to no effect. Captain McAdams was conveyed to the home of D. B. Harned, where he lived nineteen hours. There was probably not another man so universally loved in the county as was Captain McAdams.

Sanner was arrested four miles southeast of Salem, Ill., January 7, 1862. He started to, run but was wounded and halted. He was brought to Greenville where he was an object of much curiosity. He was later taken to Springfield and his trial was postponed and he was finally acquitted on a technicality. In May 1865 a stranger rode up to
Sanner's house and asked for lodging and without further conversation, drew a pistol and shot Sanner through the head. Three other balls were then fired into his body and the stranger deliberately rode away. It was never known who killed Sanner, although there were various rumors as to the identity of the party.

The bodies of Captain William Colby and Lieutenant Ives, who were killed in battle, arrived in town June 29, 1863. There was a great sorrow because of the death of these two beloved men. The funeral was held at the court house, addresses being made by the Reverend G. W. Goodale and Prof. J. B. White. There were thirty-four pall bearers, and the bodies were laid away with military honors.

Feeling was high in war times and such feeling culminated in the killing of Terrell Reavis by Lawyer J. P. Shields on August 12, 1861. Reavis, who was said to be a southern sympathizer and Shields, who espoused the cause of the Union, met near Wm. S. Smith's store, and after some harsh words, Shields drew a poinard from his cane and stabbed Reavis near the heart. Reavis died in a few hours.

Turning now to the industrial side of this period of the sixties, it may be stated without fear of successful contradiction that from the time the first passenger train was run from Greenville to St. Louis, on the morning of December 8, 1868, the improvement in Greenville was more marked than ever before. The population nearly doubled and the effect of the railroad was very perceptible, as these figures show. The advent of this road gave Greenville an impetus such as it had never before known. As soon as the farmers found here a market for their products, they came here to trade, and merchants soon discovered that a new order of things had been inaugurated. Business increased, brick blocks, replaced frame buildings in the business center and an uncertain and transient trade became augmented and permanent.

The railroad awakened a spirit of enterprise that had been lying dormant for want of opportunity or development. Old stage coach lines offered no chance for an expand of business of any kind. But with the railroad came progress and expansion.
During the year 1869 no less than 75 buildings were erected in Greenville-more than all the improvements of the previous decade. Among the new blocks and buildings were the Morse block, (destroyed by fire October 27, 1904) the J. B. Reid block, A. Buie's addition to his store, Hoiles and Sons' brick bank building, the brick with the mansard roof by Wm. S. Smith & Co., known later as the National Bank building, and many other business houses, besides residences, as well as two new flouring mills, one by McLain and Wafer and the other by C. P. Staub, and J. M. McDowell's elevator.

In these days of the sixties Greenville boasted a county fair, which thrived for several years but finally succumbed. It was held where "Buzzard Roost" now stands.

Among the most important industries in the sixties were Stahl's woolen mill, Lansing and Ostrom's flour mill, Elam's carriage factory, the sorghum molasses mill of Samuel Colcord on the site of the present post office, and a turning lathe operated by a Mr. Alexander, called Buffalo, and his boys.

Greenville in the Seventies.
THE spirit of public improvement continued through the seventies, although at the beginning of the
decade there was at first a lull, and then a decline, in the city's growth and prosperity. But Greenville weathered the panic of 1873, and though she stood still, she did not retrograde. In the fall of 1873 there was a pressing demand for houses and the town began to go forward again.

In the year 1874 there were so many burglaries that the business men met at the First National Bank and arranged for a night watchman and Greenville has not been without such an official since. In 1876, the centennial year, the Greenville Advocate paid special attention to the early history of the city and county, and through the efforts of the Reverend Thomas W. Hynes, George M. Tatham, R. O. White and others, much of this early history was collated and some of it was published. Toward the end of the decade, in 1877, to be exact, many new residences spoke of increased population. Greenville then had three banks, the First National, Bradford's and Hoiles'.

Greenville in the Eighties.
We are now coming rapidly to the days well remembered by many people who now live in Greenville and as we approach the present there is less to be said, without going into an exhaustive resume of the times.

The eighties opened up in Greenville with a cyclone, the most severe windstorm in the city's history. At eight o'clock Sunday evening April 17, 1880, a terrific wind storm broke over Greenville and great was the damage resulting. The steeple of the Methodist church was blown off, as was also the roof of the National Bank building and many business houses and residences were damaged; in fact but few escaped. The damage was estimated at $20,000. The storm was the third tornado to visit the city within the year, the others being of lesser importance. Fortunately no one was severely injured in the storm but there was great excitement and services at the church were dismissed, while people rushed frantically about searching for their loved ones, and finding all safe, although some were bruised. Several years later when Mt. Vernon was visited by a cyclone Greenville sent $257.30 to the sufferers of that city.

This was a good year for wheat, for the local papers tell us that in one week the last of July 1880, two Greenville banks paid out $84,245 for wheat and this did not include the business of the mills and small buyers.

Greenville in the Nineties
THE opening of this decade marks a new era in the history of Greenville. It is chiefly the industrial spirit that predominates in the nineties, and, in fact, up to the present time. It was in the period of the nineties that nearly all of Greenville's present thriving industries were launched.

As early as March, 1890, the business men organized and subscribed money for the purpose of advertising Greenville in the eastern papers. Up to this time the growth had been slow but steady. After the Vandalia Line had been safely launched, the people sank back on their laurels and the usual course of business was allowed to run smoothly and without interruption. And there was really no especially marked advancement until the industrial period of a few years ago swept over the city and the era of factories dawned in Greenville. Since then the advancement has been by rapid strides and the city is eagerly seeking the rolling lands to the northeast, east, southeast, and south, where modern homes are almost daily being built.

In 1890 the Postal Telegraph came, and the same fall, when dingy street lamps cost the city $250 a year, the agitation for electric lights commenced, nor did it cease until June 1, 1895, when the first electric lights were turned on in the streets of Greenville.

The telephone exchange came in 1894. The factory of DeMoulin and Brother was established in 1896 and the Helvetia Milk Condensing Company, came in 1898. The Greenville Milk Condensing Company commenced operations in 1902, but all these have enlarged and are still enlarging and their history in detail is given elsewhere in this volume.

The growth of Greenville has not been of the mushroom character, nor has it been by fits and starts but
rather its evolution from the log cabin in 1815 to the growing city of today, has been the result of carefully laid plans and persistent execution of those plans.

Greenville of Today
AND now we come to the Greenville of 1905, with its population of at least 3,000, and with its prosperous business houses and hundreds of happy homes. In the institutions of this city and in the many channels of business are each day seen evidences of increasing opportunities for intellectual, moral, financial and spiritual gain and growth.

We all know what Greenville of the present day is and we will use no space in telling present day history, for, as has been truthfully said, the history of any community, is the history of its men and women, and in the pages which follow there is portrayed by pen and picture what Greenville is today.

The Civic History of Greenville
GREENVILLE was one of the first towns in the state to take advantage of the laws to incorporate under special charter. Just fifty years ago, to be exact February 15, 1855, Greenville was incorporated by special act of the Illinois Legislature. The special act incorporating the village clearly indicated that the town of Greenville was already in existence, as a municipality, incorporated under the general laws in force at that time. Section 2, of the act of 1855, provided that "the boundaries of said incorporation shall be those as established by the first ordinances passed by the present board of trustees of said town, which said ordinances are hereby legalized for that purpose."

Section 5, of the same act, provided that "the corporate powers and duties of said town shall be vested in five persons, who shall form a board for the transaction of business, and the persons who may be in office as trustees of said town . under the general incorporation act of this state shall, after the passage of this act, be deemed to hold their offices by virtue of this act until the first Monday in May, 1855, and until their successors In office are elected and qualified, and to discharge their duties in conformity to this act."

There are no records of the doings and acts of the board prior to the act of 1855, and the first three years records of the new board, from 1855 to 1858 have been lost and diligent research has failed to reveal who were the first officers under the special act of 1855, but from old newspaper files the names of the officers from 1856 to 1858 have been obtained and the city records, complete from 1858 to date supply the necessary information from that time to date.

As early as 1856, the first year of the new village government, the question of license or no license was raised and it has been the chief issue at all municipal elections ever since. The first board of trustees passed an ordinance declaring "the sale of ardent spirits a nuisance when sold as a beverage." At the election in 1856, according to the American Courier, 149 votes were cast and the antilicense ticket had a majority of 37.

Treasurer, Samuel Bradford; S. E. Black, J. N. Pogue, Wm. S. Smith, Jr.
1871-President, W. S. Thomas; Clerk and Attorney, W. H. Dawdy;
Treasurer, George M. Tatham; J. C. Gericks, J. Perryman, B. B. White.

1872-President, John T. Barr; Clerk and Attorney, W. H. Dawdy; Treasurer, C. D. Hoiles; A. G. Henry, J. B. Reid, Stephen Wait.

Incorporated As a City.
At a special election held August 13, 1872, Greenville was incorporated as a city under the state law, the vote being 140 for the proposition to 5 against. The first election under this law was held September 17, 1872. The following paragraphs give the names of all elective officers at regular municipal elections from that time to date. In each case the first named alderman represented the first ward; the second named, the second ward; and the third named, the third ward.

Saturday, March 24, 1883. H. Hawley.

1872-(Special Election) Mayor, James Bradford; Clerk, R. K. Dewey; Treasurer, C. D. Hoiles; Attorney, W. H. Dawdy; Aldermen, P. C. Henry and P. C. Reed, first ward; Joseph W. Dewald and C. D. Harris, second ward; W. A. Allen and G. W. Miller, third ward. License 119; Anti-license, 85.

1873-(Regular Election) Mayor, J. S. Denny; Clerk, R. K. Dewey; Treasurer, M. V. Denny; Atto-ney, W. H. Dawdy; Aldermen, C. D. Harris and John T. Barr, Sr.; Wm. Koch and R. L. Mudd; G. W. Miller and P. C. Reed.

1874-Clerk, George Berry; Treasurer, M. V. Denny; Attorney, W. H. Dawdy; Aldermen, C. D. Harris, J. T. Barr, Jr., R. C. Sprague.

1875-Mayor, James Bradford; Clerk, D. B. Evans; Treasurer, M. V. Denny; Attorney, J. H. Dawdy; Aldermen, Lemuel Adams, R. L. Mudd, Stephen Wait.

1876-Attorney, D. H. Kingsbury; Police Magistrate, M. B. Chit-tenden; Aldermen, Ed Birge, Wm. Koch, R. C. Sprague.

1877-Mayor G. W. Miller; Clerk, D. B. Evans; Treasurer, M. V. Denny: Attorney, D. H. Kingsbury; Aldermen, J. L. Wood, R. L. Mudd, J. H. Davis.

1878-Aldermen, J. R. Whittaker, M. W. Van Valkenburg, R. C. Sprague.

1879-Mayor, C. D. Hoiles; Clerk, D. B. Evans: Treasurer, J. H. Davis; Attorney, George S. Phelps: Aldermen, W. H. Williams, J. O. Taylor, W. E. Robinson.

1880-Aldermen, F. Parent, M. W. Van Valkenburg, W.. A. Allen; Police Magistrate, M. B. Chittenden.

1881-Mayor, C. D. Hoiles; Clerk, J. T. Fouke; Treasurer, Joseph Dewald; Attorney, L. H. Craig;

Greenville's Geographical Growth.
The original plat of Greenville was made by John Russell, in June, 1821. The exact date is not known, but it must have been before June 6 th of that year, for on that day a sale of thirty of the lots was ordered, "for the benefit of the county." The land platted by John Russell belonged to George Davidson, the founder of Greenville. In this plat was embraced what is now Davidson's Addition, and was bounded on the north by College Avenue, on the east by Fourth Street, on the south by Summer Street and on the west by the west city limits. It is related that Davidson became dissatisfied with this plat and thrust it in the fireplace.

Then the original town of 71 lots was laid out and stands today bounded on the north by Oak Street, on the east by Mulberry Alley, on the south by the first tier of lots south of South Street anJ on the west by Fourth Street.
The area of Greenville is a mile square, 640 acres, and includes the south half of the northeast quarter of Section 10, the south half of the northwest quarter of Section 11, the southeast quarter of section 10, the southwest quarter of section 11, north half of the northwest quarter of section 14 and the north half of the northeast quarter of section 15. The additions to the city, or original town have been as follows:

Davidson's Addition of 61 lots was made October 7, 1831, by Vance L. Davidson agent for George Davidson, who had moved to JoDaviess county. This was the first addition made to the original town, now city of Greenville.
On May 29, 1839, a plat of the town of Greenville, laid out in a re-survey by Asahel Enloe, county surveyor, was recorded. Then came the additions in order as follows:
East Addition by Timothy P. Eldrege, Ariel Eldrege and Edward Cotton, April 25, 1839; Asahel Enloe, surveyor; 28 lots.
Greenwood's Addition by John Greenwood, proprietor, September 28, 1841, Seth Fuller, surveyor; 40 lots.
Dallam's Addition, by Aquilla P. Dallam, by Richard B. Dallam, his attorney, September 11. 1848; Seth Fuller, surveyor; 29 lots.
South Addition by William S. Wait, April 29, 1854; John Hughs, surveyor; 121 lots.
White's First Addition, by Samuel White, February 14, 1855; Seth Fuller, deputy surveyor; 68 lots.
College Addition by John B. White, Stephen Morse, Seth Fuller, W. D. H. Johnson and William T. Hull, trustees of Almira College, July 29, 1857; Seth Fuller, surveyor. An addition of the lots across the street south of the college was made in a subsequent survey by A. Buie, president of the Board of Trustees; 72 lots.
Smith's Central Addition by William S. Smith and Willam S. Smith Jr., March 12, 1866; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 18 lots.
Stewart's Addition by Robert Stewart, J. F. Alexander and Edward Bigelow April 6, 1869; Ira Kingsbury, surveyor; 14 lots.
White's Second Addition by Samuel White July 21, 1869; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 32 lots.
Railroad Addition by William A. Allen, and Belle E. Holcomt, August 7, 1869; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 65 lots.
Hutchinson's Addition, by Sylva-nus Hutchinson, September 18, 1869, R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 32 lots.
Montrose Cemetery was surveyed by R. K. Dewey April 29, 1877 and was given to the city by the Montrose Cemetery Association.
Evans Addition by Mary A. Evans and Margaret J. Hubbard October 4, 1881; R. K. Dewey, surveyor. Evans addition was vacated January 9, 1886, and is now McLain's Addition.
Justice's Addition by E. P. Justice, W. S. Robinson, G. S. Haven, J. F. Dann, W. H. Dawdy and Caroline Childers, October 4, 1881; John Kingsbury, surveyor; 16 lots.
Koch's Addition by William Koch, April 19, 1883; John Kingsbury, surveyor; 12 lots.
Vest's Addition by T. L. Vest, March 29, 1884; John Kingsbury, surveyor; 40 lots.
McCasland's Addition by John McCasland October 3, 1884; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 17 lots.
Douglas Place by C. D. Hoiles and Ward Reid, April 15, 1887; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 75 lots.
Moss's First Addition by James H. Moss, v.October 13, 1892; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 35 lots.
Moss's Second Addition by James H. Moss, April 21, 1894; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 58 lots.
Moss's Third Addition by James H. Moss, June 2, 1898; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 20 lots.
Colcord's Addition by Hattie J. Colcord and Otis T. Colcord, September 5, 1898; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 29 lots.
"Baumberger's Out Lots," by John Baumberger Sr., August 31, 1899; R. K. Dewey, surv.; 16 lots.
Rutschmann's Addition by Chas. Rutschmann October 8, 1900; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 11 lots.
McLain's Addition by Thomas R. McLain by N. W. McLain, agent, May 2, 1902; John Kingsbury, surveyor; 32 lots.
Sherman's Addition by Washington Sherman, June 6, 1902; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 40 lots.
Hockett's Addition by Oliver Hockett December 8, 1902; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 20 lots.
College Second Addition by the Board of Trustees of Greenville College June 8, 1903; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 12 lots.
Moss's Fourth Addition by James H. Moss August 18, 1903; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 38 lots.
Ashcraft's Addition by Franklin H. Ashcraft, March 17, 1905; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 92 lots.
DeMoulin's Addition by Ed De-Moulin, March 22, 1905; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 34 lots.
Dixon's Addition, by Cyrus C. Dixon and H. Harrison Dixon, April 3, 1905; R. K. Dewey, surv.; 41 lots.
Woodlawn Addition by Dr. B. F. Coop, George V. Weise, Ernest E. Wise, E. W. Miller and Cicero J. Lindly, April 6, 1905, John Kingsbury, surveyor; 123 lots.
Armstrong's Addition by Joseph H. Armstrong, Elizabeth J. Armstrong and Ward Reid, April 20, 1905; Jno. Kingsbury, surv.;20 lots.
Bradford's Addition by Franklin H. Ashcraft, Rose B. Dixon, Cyrus C. Dixon and Otto - Schafer, May 4, 1905: R. K. Dewey, surv.; 68 lots.
Kimbro's Addition by Daniel Kimbro, May 16, 1905; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 10 lots.
College Avenue Addition by F. H. Ashcraft, June 24, 1905; R. K. Dewey, surveyor; 254 lots.

The city of Greenville is composed of three wards, the boundary lines of which have been changed several times. The present first ward is all that part of Greenville east of First Street, the line turning east from First Street down the center of College Avenue, thence east on College to Spruce, thence north on Spruce one block, thence east on Oak to the city limits. The second ward is all south of Main Avenue and west of First Street. The third ward from the west city limits is all north of Main until the intersection of Main and First is reached from which point the line runs north on First to College Avenue and so on through as detailed in the first ward boundaries.

Greenville Census Report.
United States government census reports show that the first census taken in Bond county was in 1820, when the county had a population of 2931, but no government census of Greenville village was taken until 1850. The government census reports here given bear out the statement made in the history of the Vandalia Railroad, that the greatest increase in population was during the building of the road.

1850.................378
1860...............1000
1870...............1989
1880. .............1896
1890 .............1868
1900...............2504

Since the federal census of 1900, there has been material increase in the population of Greenville and today the city shelters, at a conservative estimate, at least 3,000 souls, although the figure is placed much higher by many. The rapid increase in population is due to the fact that many families are moving here to take advantage of the city's superior educational advantages, while, at the same time the city supplies employment to many, through its flourishing and ever enlarging industries. 



Transcriber's Note: First - The transcriber has no genealogical connection to any of these folks nor of the county and I no longer have the source that I was transcribing from.

Secondly... there are quite a few pictures of early and "important" settlers of Greenville, but the quality of many of the pictures in the copy of this work were too dark to be of any use. I tried photoshopping those that weren't all black, which varying levels of success. Either way, I will include the biographical info contained in the pictures' captions and the researcher is urged to find a (hopefully better!) copy of this book if they are interested in having their own copy of the picture.

Remember that the book was written in 1905, so "deceased" or "still living" means as of 1905.



Pictures:

[bad picture]
Old Brick House which, until recently stood at the corner of Main and Sixth. It was the home of Samuel White and the first postoffice was kept therein. One of the first houses built in Greenville.

[bad picture]
Cyrus Birge
Deceased
Greenville Merchant in 1824.

[bad picture]


Scene at the dedication of the Cox monument, west of Greenville. October 9, 1900. The monument commemorated the massacre of Mr. Cox, by the Indians, in 1811.



Seth Blanchard, Deceased.
Who came to Greenville in 1820, after selling the land where the St. Louis court house now stands.


Mrs Millicent Clay Birge.
Dec'd,Wife of Ansel Birge. Greenville's first postmaster, who lived in and near Greenville for 69 Years. She died July 12, 1896.


[bad picture]

Willard Twiss.
Deceased.
A Greenville Merchant of the Twenties, who employed John A. Logan as a jockey on the farm now known as the A. J Sherburne farm.



George Donnell
Deceased
Who came to Greenville in 1818 and who was one of the pioneer residents




Mrs. George Donnell
Deceased


Samuel White
Deceased
Who came to Greenville in 1818 and who built one of the first houses here


John Greenwood
Deceased.
Came to Greenville in 1838, and a
few years later laid out Greenwood's Addition.


Seth Fuller
Deceased
Who came to Greenville in the thirties; an early surveyor and trustee of Almira College.


James Enloe.
Deceased
Who came to Greenville with his
father, Asahcl Enloc, in 1818, and
helped clear off the land where the
court house now stands.

[bad picture]

Mrs. Jane Williford, Deceased,
Who was born in Greenville March 17, 1822, and who resided here all her life. Died May 14, 1905, the oldest native born resident of
Greenville at that time.


Isaac Enloe
Deceased.
Came to Greenville soon after the town was laid out and helped clear the land where the courthouse now stands.

[bad picture]

Dr. J. B. Drake, Deceased,
One of the earliest Greenville Physicians.

[bad picture]

The Drake House,
Built by Dr. J. B. Drake in the early thirties, and dismantled in 1905.


Maj. William Davis.
Deceased.
Who came to Greenville in 1831 and opened a tavern. He died in Greenville.

[bad picture]

Mrs. Lucy Davis, nee Mayo,
Wife of Major Wm. Davis. Died in Greenville in 1891.


Judge Enrico Gaskins.
Deceased.
Twenty years county clerk, eight years county judge of Bond. Came
here in 1835. Died in 1879.


Joel Elam
Deceased
One of the early business men who learned the blacksmith trade from
his brother, Edward Elam, who was Greenville's first blacksmith.


Elder Peter Long
Deceased.
Pastor of Mt. Nebo Church, and one of the best known pioneer preachers in the west. Came to Greenville in 1816, and was in the ministry 59 years.


Kendall P. Morse,
Deceased,
Who came to Greenville in 1834; member of the firm of Morse and Brothers. Died here in 1867.

[bad picture]

[bad picture]

 

Mr and Mrs. William S. Wait, Deceased,
William S. Wait, who came to Greenville in 1818. An early writer and journalist; chairman of the National In-
dustrial Convention at New York City in 1845; in 1848 he was nominated for Vice President on the National Reform ticket but declined. He was the prime mover in the projection of ths Vandalia Railroad and was one of the leaders who drafted much of the Illinois Constitution of 1845. He died in 1865.


Wm. S. Wait, Jr.
Deceased
For many years a prominent resident of the county.


Residence of Mrs. Adele Wait, South Third Street.


Rev. Robert Stewart, Deceased.
Who came to Greenville in 1840 and was pastor of the Congregational church. His home was a refuge for escaping slaves during the Civil War days.


Mrs. L. K. King
A resident of Greenville since 1837

[bad picture]

Residence of Mrs. Louisa Ravold.


Col. Richard Bentley,
Who came to Bond county in 1829 and moved to Greenville in 1847; deputy sheriff in 1848 and sheriff a few years later; one of the first
presidents of the village board in the early fifties; representative in the state legislature with Lincoln
and died in 1873.


Mrs. Richard Bentley.
Born in Virginia in 1799; died here in 1876.


J. P. Garland,
Who came here in 1839 and who lived here continuously until his
death in 1903.


Mrs. J. P. Garland,
Who came here in 1830 and is still a resident; married in 1848 to J. P. Garland.


Wm. Watkins.
Deceased,
A resident in 1860. Former sherriff and ex-member of the legislature, as he looked 41 years ago.


Mrs. Martha G. Watkins,
Dec'd
\Whose father once owned much of the land where Greenville stands.


Alexander Kelsoe
Deceased
Circuit Clerk 1848 to 1860; a prominent character in Greenville for
many years.


W. A. Kelsoe.
A Greenville boy of the sixties, many years a prominent St. Louis newspaper man, manager of the local press bureau of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. Now a resident of St. Louis.

[bad picture]

The Old Mill at the Foot of Mill Hill-


Charles Hoiles,
Who came to Greenville in 1840, and who, with his son, C. D. Hoiles, established the State Bank of Hoiles and Son in 1969. A member of the Illinois Legislature at the time of the Lincoln-Douglas contest; delegate from Illinois to the Charleston
convention. Died at Union Station. St. Louis, May 14, 1884, and is buried at Montrose cemetery.


C.D. Hoiles



THE STATE BANK OF HOILES AND SONS.
[Bad Picture]

What is now the State Bank of Hoiles and Sons was established in August, 1869 by Charles Hoiles and Charles D. Hoiles, under the firm name of Hoiles and Son. Stephen M. Hoiles was admitted to the firm in 1872 and the firm name was changed to Hoiles and Sons. Charles Hoiles retired from business in 1881 ard died May 14, 1884. C. D. and S. M. Hoiles
continued the business under the old firm name and in December 1895, incorporated as the State Bank of Hoiles and Sons with a capital of $25,000. The capital stock was increased in September, 1903, to $50,000. and there is now about $9,000 surplus fund, undivided profits. The present officers are C. D. Hoiles, President; C E. Hoiles, Vice President; G.B. Hoiles, Cashier


Judge S. A. Phelps
Who came to Greenville in 1843. and who has resided here ever since. Ex-County Judge and nestor of the Bond county bar.



Residence of Judge S.A. Phelps



Joseph T. Fouke
Who came to Greenville in 1830, and
who still lives here.

[bad picture]

Hotel Eureka.
Better known as the Franklin House. Lincoln stopped at this hotel when he visited Greenville in 1858, during the Lincoln and Douglas campaign.


Nathaniel Dressor,
Who came to Bond County overland from Maine in October, 1837, and has been a resident of the county ever since. He settled on two and one-half acres of cheap land in a log cabin, and is now one
of the largest property owners of the county. Director First National Bank, State Senator 1897-89. Now in his eightieth year.


R. K. Dewey,
Came to Greenville in April, 1854. One of the two oldest continuous residents of the city. Judge Henry being the other. Justice of the Peace four years, city clerk several terms, bookkeeper and assistant cashier First National Bank for ten years. Notary Public since 1867, Grand Patriarch of the Grand Encampment I.O.O.F. in 1872, Secretary Bond County Old Settlers' Association.

[bad picture]
Samuel Colcord, Deceased,
Who came overland from Maine to
Greenville in 1840. A prominent
resident for 50 vears.


Mrs. Samuel Colcord
Deceased


Rev. Samuel Colcord.
A former resident; now a resident of
New York City.


Otis B. Colcord
Deceased
Who came from Maine to Greenville in 1838 and who lived here more than 60 years.


Wm. S. Colcord,
Who came here from Maine in 1840. Former postmaster of Greenville, and a prominent resident for many years. Now deceased.


Mrs. N. W. McLain.
Aged 87 years, probably the oldest
native born resident in the county.


N. W. McLain
Who came here in 1831 and lived here and at Elm Point since

[bad picture]

Samuel H. Crocker
Deceased
Three times elected Sheriff, and was
Ex-Postmaster.


Joseph M. Donell
Deceased
Who lived in and near Greenville
from 1819 to 1894.


James Bradford,
Founder of the banking house of Bradford and Son. who came to Greenville in 1824 and served in the Black Hawk war. He was circuit clerk and recorder, county clerk, master in chancery, county commissioner, member of the Illinois Legislature, and countv judge. He was the first mayor of Greenville, elected in 1872. He died January 29, 1889.

[bad picture]

Bradford and Son's Bank
The bank of Bradford & Son was founded by James Bradford and
son Samuel in 1867. in the frame building one door south of the present lo-
cation, but moved into the present location soon after the business was
established. At the death of James Bradford on January 29. 1889, Samu-
el Bradford became the head of the institution and so remained until his
death September 14,1891. John S. Bradford, who was admitted to the
firm in 1890. then became the head of the banking house and so remains
at the present time.

[bad picture]

J. M. Miller, Attorney-at-Law and Capitalist, who came to Greenville in 1856, and who has been prominently identified with the city ever since; joined the Federal Army in 1862; was hospital Stewart 130th Ill. Infty.; First Lieut. 93rd U. S. C. L; Vice President First National Bank; Mavor of Greenville 1891 to 1893.


J. H. Livingston,
A prominent business man and
large land and property owner.


William H. Dawdy,
Who came to Greenville in August 1868 and has practiced law here ever since. Was City Attorney from 1872 to 1874; State's Attorney 1872- 80; Master-in-Chancery for six years; Assistant United States Attorney. 1887-9; Member Illinois Legislature 1890-92; Judge Illinois Court of Claims 1892-6; Candidate for Democratic Presidential elector 1896.

[bad picture]

William Morris,
A pioneer real estate man. now de-
ceased.


Robert C. Morris,
A former real estate man, now living
at Toledo. Ohio.

[bad picture]

D. H. Kingsbury,
A prominent lawyer from 1856 until
his death in 1893.


Dr. David Wilkins
Deceased
Who came to Greenville in 1854- and practiced medicine until a few
years prior to his death July 22,
1905.


James H. Moss,
A resident since 1835. Trustee and one of the founders of Greenville College. Owner of large property interests.

Residence of E.V. Gaskins


Dr. W. A. Allen
Deceased
Who came to Greenville in 1855, and formed a partnership with Dr. T. S. Brooks. At the time of his death, March, 1891, he was Mayor of Greenville, President of the Board of Education, and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Congregational Church.


Dr. T. S. Brooks,
Deceased
A Greenville practitioner for
years; a Yale graduate.


Mrs. Dorcas Denny
Deceased
Wife of J. S. Denny, Deceased.


J. S. Denny
Deceased
Village President in 1863: Mayor in 1873.


E. B. Wise.
Deceased
A prominent merchant for many years. Former Alderman and Member Board of Education.

 

 


Back to the Main Index Page for Bond County

©Illinois Genealogy Trails