Bureau County Illinois  
History and Genealogy
Biographies
A

 
Clement W. Abbott

Clement W. Abbott, a retired farmer living in Sheffield, but still owning good farm property in Bureau county, was born in Ogden, Monroe county, New York, December 13, 1825, his parents being Calvin and Charlotte (Clement) Abbott, both natives of Vermont. At the usual age Clement W. Abbott began his education in the country school at Ogden, New York, but his advantages were largely limited to instruction in the "Three R's." After leaving school he worked at the carpenter's trade for ten years in the east and in September, 1854, came to the middle west, settling in Henry, Illinois, where he spent the winter working in a wagon shop. In the spring of 1855 he removed to Mineral township, Bureau County, and took up his abode upon a farm, continuing actively in agricultural life for forty years or until 1894, when he removed to Sheffield, where he now resides. In 1854 he purchased his farm, becoming owner at that time of one-half section, to which he afterwards added one hundred and fifty-five acres about twenty years later. He made stock-raising and feeding the principal features of his business and became well known as an enterprising and successful stockman, readily and correctly estimating the value of stock so that he was enabled to make judicious purchases and profitable sales. Thus he prospered year by year and rose from a humble financial position to one of affluence, so that now, with a handsome competence, he is enabled to live retired in the enjoyment of the fruits of his former toil.

On the 6th of May, 1857, Mr. Abbott was married to Miss Martha M. Battey, at Sheffield, who is represented elsewhere in this work, a daughter of Major Silas Battey, and their children are: Fred W., who was born May 23, 1859, and died January 26, 1886; Calvin B., who was born August 1, 1863, and died April 28, 1882; Herman E., born May 10, 1865; and Hattie C., who was born December 19, 1870, and died February 5, 1888.

Mr. Abbott is a member of the Unitarian church at Sheffield and was first identified with the Whig party, later becoming one of the founders of the Republican Party. He was assessor for the town of Mineral for five years and was elected and served on the county board of supervisors for six years, his capability and fidelity indicating his keen interest in the welfare and progress of the county as conserved by its public officials, while in other ways he has given his support to those matters which constitute civic virtue and civic pride. He is a self-made man and still takes an active interest in business affairs.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 (Page 539-540)]
Herman E. Abbott

Herman E. Abbott, of Sheffield, manager of a large and valuable estate, and agent for various fire insurance companies, was born May 10, 1865, in the city which is still his home, a son of Clement W. Abbott. He pursued his preliminary education in the public schools of Sheffield and afterward attended the Dixon Normal College, at Dixon, Illinois and Cornell College, at Mount Vernon, Iowa. He was reared to farm life and devoted his energies to general agricultural pursuits until 1892, when he became connected with commercial interests as a dealer in lumber, agricultural implements, carriages, wagons, etc. The firm was known as Battey & Abbott, and so continued until 1898, when Mr. Abbott disposed of his interest. He then removed to Tiskilwa, where he remained a year, after which he returned to Sheffield to look after his farming interests and his father's estate. He now has a good farming property which yields to him a gratifying income and in the management of the Abbott estate he displays keen business sagacity and understanding. He is also agent for different fire insurance companies.

Mr. Abbott fraternally is connected with Ames lodge, No. 142, A. F. & A. M., of Sheffield, and Sheffield lodge, No. 808, I. O. O. F., of the same place, while religiously he is a member of the Unitarian church. He is a young man of enterprise and his good qualities have made him popular with a wide acquaintance.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 (Page 596)]
Mrs. Augusta E. (Wood) Abell

Mrs. Augusta E. (Wood) Abell, living upon a farm in La Moille, her native township. was born on the 25th of August, 1858, her parents being Ellis B. and Amanda (Martin) Wood. Her father was born in the state of New York, September 22, 1830, and came to Illinois in 1854, locating in Bureau county. He was married in 1856 to Miss Amanda Martin and they became the parents of two children. of whom Mrs. Abell is the elder. The mother is still living but the father died in 1899, at the age of sixty-nine years.

Augusta E. Wood spent her girlhood days in her parents' home and attended the public schools of the neighborhood. In early womanhood she gave her hand in marriage to Lorenzo Abell, who was born in Lee county, Illinois. December 23, 1858. Attracted by the discovery of gold in Alaska and the business opportunities thereby promoted he went to the Klondike, where his death occurred. Four children were left to share with the wife in her loss, these being Ellis C., born November 2, 1881; Scott E., born August 3, 1884; Nellie A., December 17, 1885; and Edna F., May 22, 1887.

Mrs. Abell is a member of the Eastern Star lodge at La Moille and she and two of her children hold membership in the United Brethren church. She is now the owner of an excellent farm of one hundred and sixty acres of choice land, to the supervision and improvement of which she devotes her time and energies. She has lived upon this farm for three years and is active in its management. All of the hay and grain raised are fed to the stock and her stock-raising interests are an important branch of her business. Mrs. Abell is a lady of good attainments, of marked enterprise and keen discernment. She has kept her family together upon the old home place, carefully rearing her children to manhood and womanhood and well qualifying them to fight life's battles. She has nobly earned the high esteem in which she is held as a friend and neighbor and is widely recognized as a lady of many excellent traits of character and Christian virtues.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 (Page 398-403)]
James Wyman Adams

James Wyman Adams, a representative of the farming interests of Bureau county, was born near Augusta, Maine, on the 28th of August, 1840, his parents being Rodney M. and Liddie (Stover) Adams. The father was a farmer by occupation and on removing to the middle west in 1842 settled in Chicago, but soon afterward made his way to the Fox river and established his home in Oswego. There he lived for three years, when he removed with his family to Concord township in 1847. He made the journey with wagon and a team of oxen and purchased two hundred and forty acres of land. With characteristic energy he began its cultivation and improvement and throughout his entire life he continued farming, making his home in the same neighborhood until he passed away on the 20th of January, 1860. His widow survived until August, 1862, when she was also called to her final rest.

James W. Adams was only two years of age when brought by his parents to Illinois. His education was acquired in the country schools and he received practical training at farm labor through the assistance which be rendered in the improvement and cultivation of the home farm. He was only twenty years of age when his father's death occurred, after which he purchased the interest of the other heirs in the old home property, upon which he has since lived. He has here erected a good residence and substantial outbuildings and in fact has added all modern equipments and accessories, making the place a model farm property.

On the 25th of December, 1866, Mr. Adams was united in marriage to Miss Louisa White, of Webster, Iowa, a sister of Fred E. White, who is a congressman and a member of one of the old and influential families of Iowa. The father, Godfred White, came from Germany to America when Mrs. Adams was only six months old. Unto our subject and his wife have been born six children, who are still living: Frederick E., a resident farmer of Plymouth county, Iowa; Charles E., who follows farming in Concord township, Bureau county; Elmer E., a bridge builder for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company, living at Buda; Percy E., a farmer of Kewanee, Illinois; Ida L., the wife of Alfred Hartsell, of Princeton; and Louis E., living at home.

Mr. Adams gives his political allegiance to the republican party, and is one of the active workers in its local ranks. He is a member of the Wesley Methodist Episcopal church, and his interest centers in those lines of thought and activity which work for honorable manhood and for substantial improvement in the county. Almost his entire life has here been passed, and m an active business career he has at all times been found thoroughly reliable and trustworthy.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 (Page 499-500)]
Fred Albrecht

Fred Albrecht, owning and operating two hundred and eighty-two acres of valuable farming land on section 5, Ohio Township, Bureau County, and also having extensive landed possessions in Wisconsin, where he owns thirteen hundred and sixty acres, was born in the township which is still his home, on the 6th of January, 1859. His parents were Jacob and Barbara (Ringerberg) Albrecht, both natives of the east, whence they came to Illinois at an early day. In their family were five children, of which the subject of this review is the youngest. By a previous marriage the father had four children.

Fred Albrecht was reared to farm life and acquired a common-school education. Although he inherited some of his property he has through industry and integrity added thereto until he is now the owner of two hundred and eighty-two acres of very valuable farm land, situated on the southeast quarter of section 5, Ohio Township, Bureau County. He has added many modern improvements to his place, uses good farm machinery in carrying on the cultivation of his land, and by practical and modern methods has enhanced the value of his farm until it is worth from one hundred and fifty to two hundred dollars per acre, and is one of the best tracts in Ohio township, and in fact in Bureau county. He is engaged in general agricultural pursuits, and annually harvests excellent crops of grain, his products finding a ready sale on the market, where they command the highest prices, owing to their good quality. Besides this farm on which Mr. Albrecht makes his home, he also owns a tract of thirteen hundred and sixty acres in Wisconsin.

Mr. Albrecht was married on the 25th of October, 1885, to Miss Anna B. Bumgardner, who was born in Bureau County, July 9, 1866, a daughter of Henry C. and Anna M. Bumgardner, the former born in Switzerland, whence he came to America in the '50s. The mother was born in Bureau County. Unto our subject and his wife have been born seven children: Christian H., born July 20, 1886; George F., September 11, 1887; Albert D., January 23, 1889; Amelia M., February 4, 1891; Sadie, January 11, 1893; Pearl C., January 27, 1902, and Florence E., January 4, 1903.

Mr. Albrecht gives his political support. to the Democratic party, having firm faith in its principles, and he and his family are identified with the German Evangelical church. Although our subject came into ownership of some of his property through inheritance, he has been industrious and persevering, carefully managing his business interests, so that year by year he has added to his financial income and he has been enabled to make additional purchases until he is today in possession of a handsome competence, being numbered among the most prominent and substantial farmers of Ohio township. He and his family are excellent Christian people, possessing sterling qualities, which have won for them warm and lasting friendships.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 (Page 955-956)]



Joseph Albrecht

Joseph Albrecht, a prominent merchant of Ohio, Bureau County, where he is engaged in the hardware business, having conducted his store for the past fifteen years, is a native son of Bureau County, Illinois, his birth having occurred on the 11th of August, 1856. He is a son of Jacob and Barbara Albrecht, natives of Bavaria, Germany, and our subject is the sixth in order of birth in a family of seven children born of the father's second marriage. By a previous marriage there are four children.

Joseph Albrecht, whose name introduces this record, was educated in the schools of his native town and at Princeton, and after putting aside his text-books started out to make his own way in the world. He had no capital, but possessed a strong will and a determination to succeed, and that he has not been thwarted in his plans is indicated by the fact that he is today conducting a prosperous business in Ohio, dealing in all kinds of hardware and farm implements, in which he has built up a large and increasing trade. He has studied the needs of his patrons and carries a large and well selected line of goods to meet the general demands of the public. He is ever straightforward in his business methods, and has by honesty and fair dealing won the good will of all with whom he comes in contact. In addition to his hardware business Mr. Albrecht also owns three hundred and twenty acres of land in Wisconsin, besides a house and lot and a store building in the village of Ohio and one hundred and sixty acres near the town.

On the 23d of May, 1878, Mr. Albrecht was united in marriage to Miss Emma Knuth, who was born in Bureau County, December 21, 1859, a daughter of Ludwig and Louisa Knuth, both natives of Germany, whence they emigrated to America in the early '50s. In their family were nine children, of whom Mrs. Albrecht is the sixth in order of birth. She has lately come into possession of a part of the estate left by her parents, who are now deceased. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Albrecht has been blessed with five children, of whom one died in infancy. Those surviving are: Maria L., born February 23, 1880; Peter J., November 13, 1883; Lee R., April 16, 1891; and Mabel J., born February 7, 1897.

In politics Mr. Albrecht is a republican, although he does not adhere strictly to party ties, often casting an independent ballot, supporting the men whom he regards best qualified for office, regardless of party affiliation. He holds membership with the Mennonite church, and fraternally is connected with camp No. 17, M. W. A.; lodge No. 47, Mystic Workers; and lodge No. 627, I. O. O. F., in which he has passed all of the chairs.

Mr. Albrecht is a self-made man, for he started out in life with nothing save industry and perseverance, and with the possession of these qualities he worked his way upward year by year until he accumulated a comfortable competence. Later he inherited some property from his father's estate, and to this he has added until he is now numbered among the wealthy and prominent citizens of Bureau county, having for the past fifteen years conducted a hardware business in the village of Ohio, which is one of the leading enterprises of the town, and in addition to his interests here he also owns a fine tract of land, constituting three hundred and twenty acres, situated in Wisconsin, and one hundred and sixty acres near the village of Ohio, and also owns a store building and a nice home, which he occupies. He is an enterprising business man, ever watchful of opportunities that will lead to success, and he has many business and social friends, all of whom speak of him in terms of highest praise and commendation.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 page 849]

 Henry Howe Allen

Mortuary Record - November 1906

News Clipping taken from the Research of Elsie Piper.  This is the great-great-great grandfather of my husband. - Nancy Piper

Another pioneer of our prairie state, after rounding out a long and useful life, has joined the throng enrolled up yonder. Henry Howe Allen was born at Littleton, New Hampshire, December 20, 1827, and died in Henry, at the age of 78 years, 10 months and 26 days. He was the oldest child of Albe C. and Martha Allen. There were eight children of his father’s family, all of whom have preceded him to the other world, but two, a brother Rev. Horace Allen of Hollard Patent, and Mrs. Helen Ellinwood of East Pembroke, N. Y., - both of whom, together with his stepmother of Honeoy Falls, N. Y., visited him recently, a visit that seemed to be especially enjoyed by the deceased. His parents moved to New York in 1835, where he lived until 1850, when he came to Illinois.

In 1854, Mr. Allen was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Hunter of Milo township, this county. To them were born eight children, all of whom are living except the oldest daughter, who died in December 1873. Mr. and Mrs. Allen celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on December 12, 1904.

At the age of 27 he gave his heart to Christ and has lived a consistent Christian life, one that has been well worthy of emulation, and we believe he has gone “home” to his “reward”. He was a devout man, took great interest in church work, and promoted all that was for the best welfare of the community where he lived. His life was an exemplification of good words, and his children can ever cherish his memory.

His last illness was only of a few hours. Several months ago he sustained a paralytic stroke, but had in a large measure recovered from its effects. Thursday evening, November 15th, at about 8 o’clock, Mr. Allen fell in a faint, and survived until the next morning, when life passed out. He was conscious until the last and ready for the summons of a “well done, good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.”

The funeral was held at the Presbyterian church, Sunday afternoon at 1 o’clock, Rev. H. W. Burger, the pastor, officiating. Singing was by the choir. The selections were of a special order - “One Sweetly Solemn Thought”, “They Shall Hunger No More” a selection from the cantata of “The Prodigal Son,” and “There Will Be No Dark Valley When Jesus Comes.” The pall bearers were five sons of the deceased, and a son-in-law, as follows: Frederick Allen of Winchester, Andrew of Chapin, Louis of Lacon, Albe of Seneca, and Hiram Allen and John W. Farley, of the old home neighborhood at “Cottage.” The attendance of the relatives and friends from the country was very large, and nearly filled the auditorium of the church. The sermon was a masterly effort, and was founded on the text as in Matthew 24:466: “Blessed is that servant whom his lard when he cometh shall find so doing”. There was a wealth of beautiful floral pieces, one a blanket of pink roses and smilax covering almost the entire casket was from loving friends of Cottage and Tiskilwa. Interment at the henry cemetery.

Mr. Allen was a farmer and until moving to Henry several years ago lived on his farm in the Cottage vicinity south of Tiskilwa, where he prospered and was one of the most valued and influential citizens.

AN APPRECIATION

of the pen of the CHIEF’S able Cottage correspondent, who writes feelingly and pays a high and just tribute to a worthy Christian, citizen and friend:

For more than thirty-eight years Mr. Allen lived on the farm near Cottage school. A man of unbounded hospitality and benevolence - the sorrows and perplexities of others and those in distress only bound him more closely to them. Always active in church and Sunday school work, and in expounding the lesson to his class he always imparted some thought that was a real help the preceding week. In his long and useful life every one who came in contact with his beautiful Christian character was benefited. He taught school in Milo several years and was director at Cottage many years; was secretary of the Milo, Wheatland and Indiantown Insurance Company 26 years. Mr. Allen had always enjoyed comparatively good health until last spring. While returning from church he suffered a slight stroke of paralysis. At his recovery he found he had been deprived of one of his greatest comforts, that of reading. When asked by a former Sunday school class in Henry, he laughingly replied: “Oh no, I can’t read now, and when I get ready for Sunday school mother (Mrs. Allen) reads the lesson to me and I get it that way.” Through it all he was patient and uncomplaining.

The dear wife and companion of over fifty years, five sons, two daughters - Mrs. Huldah Vail and Mrs. Addie Farley - twenty-five grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, beside a host of loving friends, deeply mourn the loss of a dear friend and counselor. To the heart sore of this dearly beloved one the tenderest sympathies are extended. Your good and kind husband and father are gone. His tired body has found its long resting place, but ah! the spirit knows the joys of a heavenly home and stands complete before the countenance of God. Farewell, loved one, your faithful wife and children will miss you, but the thought that you are safe in the kingdom of the Master whom you so delighted to serve is a most blessed consolation.

Of the deceased the editor of Bradford Republican says:

Nearly fifty years ago there lived in a house at the corner three miles east of Bradford a young man by the name of Henry Allen. Boys fifty-five or sixty years old will remember his teaching school in district No. 1 at the head of Boyd’s Grove, Milo township, and the jolly good times that teachers and pupils had playing ball, snow balling from behind snow forts north of the school house on the hand sleds. Though a jolly good fellow with the pupils at recess and on occasional quarter holidays, yet he made every boy and maiden walk chalk during school hours. What times of good fellowship those were and how few there are now to whom these memories will come. Henry Allen and family moved over east of the Grove into the Cottage neighborhood where his industry and economy were rewarded by a competence. His children married and made homes of their own and he and his aged wife removed to Henry. There last week our aged friend and former school master passed away - ripe in years, in upright manhood and good citizenship, leaving to posterity the inheritance of the memory of a well spent life.

------

Card of Thanks

Prompted by a deep feeling of appreciation we extend to the friends of Cottage and Tiskilwa a heartfelt thanks for the words of consolation and the many floral tributes. All these shall be remembered during the length of our days.

Mrs. H. H. Allen and Children



Joseph B. Allen
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 page 316-319]

Joseph B. Allen, of Dover Township, has a beautiful home in the midst of a fine farm equipped with all modern conveniences and accessories. The place comprises one hundred and fifty-five acres pleasantly and conveniently located about four and a half miles from the courthouse in Princeton and his attention is devoted to general farming and stock-raising with the result that his enterprise and business capacity have made him one of the prosperous and prominent agriculturists of his community.

He was born in Princeton September 2, 1848. His father, Charles S. Allen, was a native of Bernardston, Massachusetts, born February 3, 1801, and represented an old New England family. He came from New York to Illinois in 1838, arriving in the month of June and, being pleased with the country and its prospects, he returned in the fall of the same year and brought his family. In his boyhood days he had gone from Massachusetts to the Empire state, where he was reared to manhood and married Emily D. Smith. On arriving in this state he settled in Princeton, where he followed the blacksmith's trade until 1853, when he purchased the farm_ upon which his son Joseph now resides, spending his remaining days there, his death occurring on the 19th of May, 1867, while his wife survived until August 5, 1875. He was the father of ten children, two of whom are now living: Joseph B.; and Marcia M., who makes her home with her brother. Mr. Allen was an abolitionist in early days and his home was a station on the famous underground railroad, whereby many a fugitive slave was assisted on his way northward to freedom. Later he became a republican when the party was formed to prevent the further extension of slavery and in Bureau county in pioneer times was known as an influential and representative citizen.

Joseph B. Allen, reared under the parental roof, continued his education, begun in the common schools, as a student in Dover Academy. He has always followed farming and from his boyhood days has resided on the old homestead which he now owns. He has here one hundred and fifty five acres of land that is rich and productive and he carries on general farming and stock-raising. His home is pleasantly situated about four and a half miles from the courthouse in Princeton, so that the advantages of city life are easily obtainable and at the same time the family enjoy those of a rural existence. The residence is a beautiful one, commodious and attractive in its style of architecture, and there are very fine buildings upon the place. In fact this farm is one of the most attractive features of the landscape with its excellent improvements and richly cultivated fields, all indicating the care and supervision of a progressive owner. There is a natural gas well which has been sunk to a depth of one hundred and fifty feet and which furnishes light and heat for his home. He also owns six hundred and forty acres of land in western Nebraska and has been very successful in his business interests.

Mr. Allen was married to Miss Florence K. Nichols. of Dover township, a daughter of Deacon T. W. Nichols, of the Congregational church at Dover, who came to Bureau county in 1838 from Vermont, where he was recognized as a prominent representative of his church and an influential citizen. He lived in the village of Dover, was a mason by trade, and also owned a farm which he cultivated for a number of years. He died in the year 1887, while his wife, who bore the maiden name of Abigail A. Kidder, is now living in Dover, having attained the age of ninety years on the 25th of May, 1906. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Allen was born a son, Parish C.; who died when nineteen and a half years of age. He had attended the Moody school in Massachusetts for three years, also spent one year as a student at Oberlin, Ohio, and was just ready to enter upon a collegiate course when he was called from this life in 1896.

Mr. Allen is an ardent advocate of the Republican Party but without aspiration for office. Both he and his wife are members of the Congregational church. in the work of which they take a very active and helpful part, doing all in their power to promote its growth and extend its influence. Their upright lives have won for them the esteem of all with whom they have been associated. They are numbered among the valued and representative citizens of Bureau county, where Mr. Allen has spent his entire life and where he has so directed his labors as to gain a position among its most substantial residents.



William Carey Allen
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 page 816-817]

When the tocsin of war sounded men from all walks of life flocked to the standard of the nation. They came from the offices and the shops, the counting houses and the fields, all imbued with the same purpose of defending the Union cause. Among this number was William Carey Allen, who proved a loyal soldier, and the same spirit of faithful citizenship has characterized his life in days of peace. He is now living quietly upon a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Manlius Township, where in connection with the tilling of the soil he devotes considerable attention to the raising of Hereford cattle and other stock.

A native son of Bureau County, he was born September 21, 1838, and is a son of William and Nancy (McCarter) Allen, who came from Brown County, Ohio, to Illinois in 1834. The father was one of the early settlers who took up government land at a dollar and a quarter per acre and aided in transforming the wild prairie into cultivable fields. He devoted his entire life to farming in this county, where he remained a resident until called to his final rest at the age of sixty-three years. His wife, surviving him for some time, died at the age of eighty years.

William Carey Allen, born and reared upon the old home farm, began his education in the district schools and continued his studies in the public schools of Princeton. On completing his education he took up the business of farming, but at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war he put aside all business and personal considerations and offered his services to the government, enlisting as a private of Company K, Fifty-seventh Illinois Infantry, in the fall of 1861. The regiment was sent to Cairo, Illinois, and thence by steamer to Fort Henry and on to Fort Donelson, Tennessee, where Mr. Allen participated in the engagement. He also took part in the battles of Corinth, Mississippi, and the siege and capture of that place, remaining there for nearly a year. He was also in the second battle of Corinth and afterward, with his regiment, was ordered to Tennessee. He took part in the Atlanta campaign and the battles of Dalton, Resaca, New Hope Church, Altoona Pass, Kennesaw Mountain, Chattahoochee, and, in fact, all of the military movements of the Atlanta campaign. Later the Fifty-seventh Illinois was ordered to Rome, Georgia, and was there when General Sherman started on his march to the sea. They joined his command and remained with Sherman during the entire march from Savannah through South Carolina and on to Goldsboro, to Raleigh, North Carolina, and to Washington, D. G., where they participated in the grand review on the 22d of March, 1865, when the victorious army, numbering thousands of loyal troops, marched down Pennsylvania avenue and passed the reviewing stand upon which the president greeted the return of his victorious soldiers. In the meantime Mr. Allen, his first term of service having expired, had re-enlisted as a veteran and was discharged at Louisville, Kentucky, on the 7th of July, 1865. He had been promoted to the rank of first lieutenant of his company, and at the battle of Shiloh he was slightly wounded in the left arm, but otherwise he escaped personal injury, although experiencing the usual hardships and privations meted out to the soldier.

Returning to Bureau County when his military life was ended, Mr. Allen once more took up the occupation of farming, and as a companion and helpmate for life's journey chose Miss Jennie Shenkle, of Clermont County, Ohio, whom he wedded on the 11th of March, 1875. They now have five living children and lost two in infancy. Those who still survive are: Nancy, the wife of Robert Fox, a farmer of Manlius township; Ralph M., who married Ida Hurt, and is a farmer of Manlius; Iva A., the wife of William Ohda, of Greenville; Edwin H., who is farming with his father, and Edna P., at home.

Mr. Allen today owns and operates an excellent place of one hundred and sixty acres in Manlius Township. His farm is well improved, the fields being richly cultivated, and he also raises registered Hereford cattle and good horses and hogs. He operated a thresher for a number of years, having the first traction engine and thresher in the community. Politically he is a democrat and socially he is connected with the Grand Army post at Sheffield, thus maintaining pleasant relations with his old army comrades.



Charles F. Anderson

The growth and development of a community depends not only upon its farmers but upon the men who are at the head of its commercial and industrial interests and who bring to bear in its public life the spirit of enterprise which dominates them in the private business interests. Charles F. Anderson is a worthy representative of this class of citizens and is now successfully conducting a grocery and meat market at 820 and 822 North Main Street in Princeton. A native of the western part of Sweden, he was born in Vestergotland, June 16, 1866, and is a son of Samuel Anderson, who came to Bureau county with his family in 1871, at which time he took up his abode near Princeton, there engaging in farming for some time, when he removed to the county seat, where he has since resided. His wife passed away in February, 1894. In the family were two children: Miss Mary, who is living at home, and Charles F., now residing at 714 North Church Street.

Charles F. Anderson was a lad of only five summers when brought by his parents to the new world, and his education was acquired in the Princeton schools to the age of thirteen years, when he began providing for his own support as a clerk in a Princeton store. He first clerked for Swan Linn & Company in the northern part of the city and he eagerly availed himself of every opportunity of gaining an intimate knowledge of the business and for advancement along commercial lines. In 1890 he took a position with Kingsfords & Sons as traveling salesman and continued with them for nearly two years, after which, with capital saved from his own earnings, he began business on his own account, opening a grocery store in the north end of the city, where he has since remained. In 1904, at his present location, he erected a store building two stories in height and one hundred and twenty-five by thirty-two feet in size. The front part of the upper story is used as a dentist's office and the rear part of the second story is occupied by the Shabbona Club of Princeton. Mr. Anderson has secured a good trade and has a well-appointed grocery and market, which in its neat and tasteful arrangement and the excellent line of goods carried attracts a large and growing patronage.

Mr. Anderson was united in marriage October 16, 1895, to Miss Evelyn M. Larson, who was born July 19, 1872, in Princeton, and is the daughter of P. G. Larson, an old time furniture dealer and undertaker of Princeton, who passed away in February, 1902. In the family were three children: Earl P., Minerva E. and Evelyn M., the latter now Mrs. Anderson. Mrs. Larson since his death is still continuing the business in Princeton. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson has been blessed with one son, Lloyd F., born August 13, 1899. The family are members of the Lutheran church in Princeton and Mr. Anderson belongs to the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges. Politically he is a republican and is now a member of the board of education, in which he takes a very active interest. He was a member of the city council as alderman for eight years, and at one time was nominated for mayor of Princeton; has twice been a delegate to the state convention, once when Governor Yates was nominated at Peoria, while he and Senator Washburn were delegates when Governor Deneen received his nomination at Springfield. He is a leader in business and republican circles and has wielded a wide influence for progress and improvement along all these lines. Dependent upon his own resources from the age of thirteen years, he has made steady advancement in his business career and his life record proves the value of force of enterprise and diligence in overthrowing obstacles and wresting fortune from the hands of fate.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 page 766]


Fenwick R. Anderson

Fenwick R. Anderson, the other member of the firm of Scott & Anderson, was born in Lee county, Illinois, September 16, 1854, and is a son of Fenwick and Jeannette (Peek) Anderson, a sketch of whose lives will be found elsewhere in this volume. The educational privileges of our subject were such as the district schools afforded, and upon the home farm he early became familiar with agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty-four years he began farming on his own account, and continued to engage in that honored calling until 1896. In July, 1895, he had purchases an interest in the livery business now conducted by Scott & Anderson. They have succeeded in building up a good trade, are men of known reliability, and the success which has attended their efforts is well deserved.

In 1879 Mr. Anderson led to the marriage alter Miss Emma Wilson, adopted daughter of William S. Wilson, one of the representative citizens of Ohio, whose sketch also appears in this work. They have become the parents of three children - Nancy Maria, William F. and Verdin. The wife and mother is a consistent member of the Methodist Protestant church. Fraternally, Mr. Anderson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and, politically, give his earnest support to the republican party. He keeps well posted on current events, is wide-awake and industrious, and occupies a good social position among the successful business men of Ohio and vicinity.

[The Biographical record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois., Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1896 , Page 63]



John G. Anderson

Among the citizens of foreign birth living in Bureau county is numbered John G. Anderson, a native of Sweden. He first opened his eyes to the light of day on the 17th of March, 1863, and is a son of Swan and Sarah (Johnson) Anderson, both of whom were natives of Sweden, in which country they were married in October, 1858. The year 1866 witnessed their arrival in Illinois, at which time they took up their abode in Princeton. Mr. Anderson worked at farming and railroading, continuing a resident of the county seat up to the time of his death, which occurred February 15, 1867, at the age of thirty-three years. The mother of our subject is now living in Buda in her sixty seventh year, having been born May 3, 1839. By her first marriage she had five children, but only two are now living, the elder being Matilda J., who was born March 25, 1860, and is the wife of Herman Lundgren. Having lost her first husband, Mrs. Anderson was married to Samuel A. Johnson, who was born in Sweden and died February 26, 1900, at the age of sixty-five years. There were six children by that marriage, of whom four survive, namely: Hilma, Nellie, Ida and Minnie. The parents were members of the Congregational church, and for thirty-two years Mr. Johnson was in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, acting as section boss for twenty-two years.

John G. Anderson was only three years old when brought by his parents to Bureau county, Illinois, and he attended the public schools until ten years of age, when he began earning his own living by working in a grist and planing mill at Galva, where he remained for about three years. He then secured employment as a farm hand during the summer and attended school during the winter months, being was engaged until twenty years of age, with the exception of a period of a year and a half, which was passed in the Hoxton steam heating works at Kewanee. He began farming on his own account about the time he attained his majority, and when his labor and economy had brought him sufficient capital he bought seventy five acres of land in Macon township. He is now cultivating one hundred and fifty acres of excellent farming land near Buda, and derives therefrom a desirable income.

On Christmas day of 1889 Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Annie E. Crisman, who was born in Macon Township, July 22, 1865, a daughter of William and Elizabeth Crisman. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson now have two children: Ruth E., born April 22, 1893, and William G., April 23, 1902. The parents are members of the Baptist church, and politically Mr. Anderson is a republican. Almost his entire life has been passed in this county, and the success he has achieved has come as the direct reward of his own labors. Starting out for himself when only ten years of age, he has been the architect and builder of his own fortunes, and deserves much credit for what he has accomplished.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 page 627-628]



Palmer E. Anderson

Palmer E. Anderson, engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business with offices on Main Street, is numbered among Princeton's native sons, born on the 29th of March, 1874. His parents were Jonas and Elizabeth (Nelson) Anderson, both of whom have now passed away, the father having died on the 1st of March, 1899, while his wife's death occurred February 1, 1890. Mr. Anderson was a carpenter and house mover and came to Princeton in 1853. A native of Sweden, he established his home in St. Charles, Illinois, on coming to the new world, and subsequently removed to Bureau county, where he was closely associated with industrial interests as a carpenter and house mover. He possessed many of the sterling characteristics of the Swedish race, including unfaltering industry, adaptability and integrity, and these qualities rendered him a valued resident of his adopted city. He took an active part in politics and served as collector and in other local offices.

Palmer E. Anderson was indebted to the public school system of Princeton for the educational privileges he enjoyed and entering upon his business career he become connected with the dry goods trade as a young man and so continued until 1904. He was for some time a junior member of the firm of N. W. Isaacson & Company, with whom his business connection continued for several years. On withdrawing from commercial pursuits he become connected with the real estate, loan and insurance business and now has well-appointed offices on Main street. As representative of fire insurance he is associated with H. A. Clark, but he handles the other departments of his business independently. He has secured a good clientage, is thoroughly acquainted with real estate values, and is thus enabled to make judicious investments and profitable sales for his clients.

Mr. Anderson was married in Princeton to Miss Winnie Mae Spake, also born and reared in this city, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Spake, now deceased. Her father was born in Djursdala, Kalmar Lau, Sweden, March 20, 1839, and when ten years of age came with his parents to America, the family home being established in Chicago, whence two years later they came to Princeton. Mr. Spake was engaged in the drug business in this city for many years, the leading representative of commercial circles here. He married Miss Mary Stern, who was born in Sweden, December 8, 1840, at Asby Loken, Linkoping Lau, and came to the United States in 1852, accompanied by four sisters and a brother. They settled in Princeton and on the 10th of November, 1870, she gave her hand in marriage to John L. Spake. Two children were born of this union: Darlena Louisa, the wife of George E. Case; and Winnie Mae, the wife of Palmer E. Anderson.

Mr. Anderson exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and in 1903 was elected town clerk, since which time he was twice been re-elected, so that he is now serving for the third term. He is a member of the board of education of the Union school of Princeton, to which he was elected in 1906, and he manifests a public spirited interest in all that is of value to the community in the promotion of those measures and movements which have direct bearing upon the welfare and prosperity of town and county. In his public service and business life he is alike alert and energetic and is justly accounted one of the best known and enterprising young business men of Princeton.
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 page 937-938]



William Anderson

Rev. William Anderson, pastor of the Dover Congregational church, was born in the parish of Clatt, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, November 2, 1853, a son of William and Margaret (Maconachie) Anderson. For forty years the father cultivated a rented farm which his father had rented before him. He took an active interest in the cause of education and for many years filled the office of chairman of the school board. He was also an ardent worker in behalf of temperance and in the Sunday-school and his services were much in demand as a speaker at local, social and religious gatherings. He conducted a Sunday school in his own home for over forty years and was long a deacon in the Congregational church at Rhynie. His life was honorable and upright and he may well be termed one of nature's noblemen. He was married October 15, 1850, and continued his residence in his native country until 1889, when he came to the United States, making his home with his son, first at Imlay City, Michigan, and afterward in Dover, Illinois, to which place he removed in 1894. His wife died in Dover in October, 1897, at the age of eighty three years. Three children were born unto them, two sons and a daughter, all born in Scotland. The eldest, Alexander J. Anderson, was married in Scotland, had five children before coming to America, while three were added to the family in this country. He died at Greencove Springs, Florida, September 2, 1899, leaving a widow and eight children. The daughter, Margaret Anderson, was born in Scotland, October 28, 1856, and lived with her parents until 1889, when she came to America to make her home with her brother. She died at Greencove Springs, Florida, January 10, 1900. She possessed many lovable traits of character, was an earnest church worker and was active in behalf of many other good causes.

William Anderson, the second son, inherited Celtic and even royal blood on his mother's side, being recorded as the lineal descendant of King Donahugh, one of the early tribal kings, whose fame was mighty among his loyal Highland subjects at a time when history was somewhat uncertain. On the father's side Rev. Anderson is of Anglo-Saxon descent. He acquired his early education at the parish school of Clatt and afterward pursued a. classical course in the grammar school at old Aberdeen. He then entered the University of Edinburgh and subsequently the Theological Seminary, from which he was graduated in 1880. He had many famous teachers, studying Greek under John Stuart Blackie; physics under Professor Tait; psychology under Henry Calderwood; mathematics under Philip Kendall; and English literature under John Masson. He also studied theology under Dr. William Lindsay Alexander. Following his graduation in 1880 he received a call to the Congregational church at Newry, Ireland, where he was ordained in February, 1881. He remained for two and a half years and in 1883 emigrated to the United States, after which he accepted a call from the church at Laingsburg, Michigan, in July of that year. He remained in charge there for five and a half years, on the expiration of which period he accepted a call to the church at Imlay City, Michigan, where he labored for nearly six years, and then came to Dover on the 1st of September, 1884, remaining there to the present date.

The Dover Congregational church was organized March 24, 1838, by the Rev. Lucian Farnham, of Princeton, from whose church came by letter the nine persons who were the charter members of the Dover church, namely: Eli O. Thorp, Lydia Thorp, Lyman and Amanda Stowell, Sylvester, Eliza and Joseph H. Brigham, Wealthy Poole and Oramel A. Smith. The first resident minister of the church was Rev. Asa Donaldson, whose labors began about one year after the church was organized. Other pastors have been: Rev. Ami Nichols from 1846 to 1849; Rev. Allen Clark, 1850; Rev. E. G. Smith, 1850 to 1857; Rev. F. Bascom, D. D., 1857 to 1864; Rev. S. G. Wright, 1864 to 1866; Rev. Otis F. Curtiss, 1867 to 1874; Rev. W. T. Blenkarn, 1874 to 1877; Rev. M. F. Howe, 1877-78; Rev. W. E. Holyoke, 1878 to 1879; Rev. A. Ethridge,, 1880; Rev. Israel Brown, 1880 to 1888; Rev. Roger M. Sargent, 1888 to 1891; Rev. J. F. Ellis. D. D., 1891 to 1892; Rev. Wm. R. Hench, 1893 to 1894; Rev. William Anderson, commenced September 1st, 1894. The following have been deacons of the church, namely: Sylvester Brigham, Isaac Delano, R. A. Leeper, George Wells, Asahel Wood, T. W. Nichols, Jonathan Hoyte. The following deacons are at this date in active service, namely: Aaron Dunbar, J. B. Allen, Alfred Westover, C. J. Pierce, J. C. Field and William Geisweller. The trustees are Henry G. Wells, George F. Carter, C. J. Pierce, Warren Poole and George Steele. The Sunday-school was organized by Isaac Delano soon after the church was formed and the present superintendent is Henry G. Wells, who has filled the office for a number of years. The church roll contains the names of over two hundred members, who are recognized as an active working force in the various departments. Besides supporting a Sunday-school and a weekly prayer meeting the church has a large and vigorous Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor, a strong woman's missionary society and a men's league. It is in close touch with the various lines of benevolent work of the denomination, for which it contributes liberally every year from its funds-the amount varying usually from six hundred to seven hundred dollars. The Deaconess Home at Dover was organized mainly through the efforts of the church and its pastor and has afforded an opportunity for practical philanthropy, of which the members have not been slow to avail themselves.

Rev. Anderson was married at Laingsburg, Michigan, August 25, 1885, to May Eliza Hollister, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles E. Hollister. She was born and reared in Laingsburg, acquired her early education in the public schools and was afterward a student in Olivet College at Olivet, Michigan. Her father was one of the first graduates of the Michigan Agricultural College at Lansing and was a life-long member of its board of trustees. Mr. Hollister was a surveyor and civil engineer and owned several farms. At one time he had a government contract for clearing a portion of the Bed River in Louisiana. He was a deacon and trustee of the Congregational church at Laingsburg and for many years superintendent of the Sunday-school. He was one of the most active supporters of the church until the time of his death, which occurred in 1900. He enlisted in the army and served until the end of the Civil war. His wife, Minnie A. Alverson, a woman of rare gifts, was a school teacher at the time of her marriage in 1863. She survived her husband only about two years. Their only son, Oliver Cary Hollister, is also a graduate of the state agricultural college and now occupies "Seven Oaks," the old homestead near Laingsburg. He enlisted and served in Cuba during the Spanish American war and was promoted to the office of chief clerk in his regiment.

Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have two children: Marguerite, who was graduated from the high school at Princeton in 1906; and Minerva, who is a student in the public schools of Dover. Beside their own family, the father, William Anderson, Sr., and a niece, Wilhelmina Anderson, of Greencove Springs, Florida, made their home with them. Mrs. Anderson has been a most active worker with her husband in their several fields of labor, her efforts being more particularly directed in missionary, Sunday-school, young people's society and deaconess' lines, beside having charge of the church music and the training of the children for public exercises. The work which Rev. and Mrs. Anderson are doing is most effective and far reaching and under his guidance the church has made rapid and substantial growth, while his influence is a most potent element in the moral development of the community.

[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, By George B Harrington, Chicago, IL, USA: Pioneer Publishing, 1906 page 171-172]
 

Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page



Back to Genealogy Trails