Bureau County Illinois  
History and Genealogy
Biographies
B

 

 BANSCH, AUGUST, SR.

August Bansch, Sr., came from Germany in 1884 and was a miner. His wife was Theresa Stiefel, daughter of Albert Stiefel. August Bansch, Jr., was born in Germany in 1878 and came to DePue when a young boy. He was married to Katie Enyart who died in 1949. After her death he married Theresa Guenther Crolsant. His son, Russell August, lives here.

[Source: History of De Pue Illinois" (1976 Bicentennial Edition) - Contributed by Kim Torp]


BANSCHBACH, MARTIN

Martin Banschbach was born August 1333 at Oberschefflens, Germany. He came to DePue in 1854. The house he lived in (built by B. Newell) is at 318 W. Third St (George Bryant residence). Two of his farms, now known as "The Cornfield" and "The Orchard" (Tinley Ave.) were developed by Mrs. Banschbach for building sites after the Zinc Plant came here. The home was partly a tavern, and once thirty Union soldiers stayed overnight enroute to the South. It was at the Banschbach house that weekly choir practice was conducted by the leader, Edward Tinley. Mr. Banschbach was married to Anna Marie Redlingschofer.

[Source: History of De Pue Illinois" (1976 Bicentennial Edition) - Contributed by Kim Torp]


BAUMER, GUSTAV

Gustav "Bismarck" Baumer came to DePue from Germany in 1884 with his father and seven brother and sisters. His wife was Mable Dunterman, daughter of Ben Newell Dunterman. The tract of lane now known as the Park Addition was owned by the Baumer family. Mr. Baumer served as a fireman and on the town council of DePue. His daughter Marie is the only member of the family living in DePue. Victor Muzzarelli lives in the old family home at 126 E. Fourth St.

[Source: History of De Pue Illinois" (1976 Bicentennial Edition) - Contributed by Kim Torp]


BERNHARDT, JACOB Jacob Bernhardt was born in 1832 at Freilaus-heim, Germany, and came to DePue in 1853. He was married to Rosina Frey. His home, associated in the minds of old timers as "The Green house," stood where the Tom Garage (122 E. Fourth St) now is. He ran a store with John M. Orthel, which stood where the Bosnich Tavern is (113 E. Fourth St). He also had a large warehouse where farmers brought grain to be shipped out by boat The foundation stones of this building, which burned to the ground, can still be seen, and the people who sat on them to watch Labor Day races little realized what an important building they had supported. The entire family moved to Nebraska in 1887 where he was president of the bank at Hastings. He served on the DePue town council many times and was treasurer in 1867. He and his wife are buried in the Hollowayville cemetery.

[Source: History of De Pue Illinois" (1976 Bicentennial Edition) - Contributed by Kim Torp]


BERNHARDT, PHILIP

Philip Bernhardt, a brother of Jacob, was born 1829. He never married, and after the Jacob Bernhardts moved to Nebraska, he made his home with the Robert D. Padens. He served as president of the town board in 1879.

[Source: History of De Pue Illinois" (1976 Bicentennial Edition) - Contributed by Kim Torp]


BEYER, GEORGE

George Beyer was born in Peru, Illinois in 1859 and came to DePue in 1878. His principal business was the grain elevator which was later bought by George M. Bryant. His wife was Johanna Hopper of Bureau. In the early 1900's he lived in Decatur, III. He was secretary of the Illinois Grain Dealers in 1903 and sales manager of McLeod Automatic Grain Scale Co. of Pennsylvania at the time of his death. Mrs. James Meagher, now deceased, was his daughter.

[Source: History of De Pue Illinois" (1976 Bicentennial Edition) - Contributed by Kim Torp]


BROCKHAUS

The name of Brockaus was well known in the early days here. A daughter, Maude, was married to William Smith, Jr., a son of W. B. Smith.

[Source: History of De Pue Illinois" (1976 Bicentennial Edition) - Contributed by Kim Torp]


Louis S. Blachly

Page 64-66

Louis S. Blachly, proprietor of the Blachly general merchandise store, of Spring Valley, has the reputation of a strictly first-class business man, reliable and energetic, and is a highly respected citizen. He was born in Sauk county, Wisconsin, and is a representative of a family that came originally from Maverick, Scotland. The parents of our subject, Louis Seely and Rebecca (McCombs) Blachly were both natives of Trumbull county, Ohio. Our subject is the oldest in the family of three children.

After completing the high school course at Lodi, Mr. Blachly, of this review, began the study of medicine, but was compelled to give it up an account of failing health. For one year he then conducted a drug store at Baraboo, Wisconsin, after which he engaged in the same business at Niles, Ohio. Selling out there, he went south, locating at Federal Point, Florida, where he was in the orange business for twelve years, and met with good success. Returning north in April, 1889, for six months he engaged as a commercial traveler, and in November of the same year connected himself with the Spring Valley Coal Company as manager of their store, which position he acceptably filled until November, 1794. He then established his present store, carrying a full assortment of general merchandise, and during the past year did a large and successful business.

On the 29th of May, 1878, Mr. Blachly was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Dalzell, a daughter of Rev. William and Elizabeth Dalzell of Ohio, and their union has been blessed by the birth of three children, Madeleine St. Claire, Marguerite Dalzell and Louis Seely, who are the pride and joy of the household.

Mrs. Blachly is a lady of refined tastes and scholarly attainments, a worthy helpmeet for her husband. They are both active members of the Congregational church, of which our subject is deacon and was for three years superintendent of the Sunday school. He is honorable to the highest degree, and in enterprise, business capacity and fair dealing ranks second to none. He is one of the leading men of Spring Valley and is numbered among that substantial class of citizens who always give character to a community. Socially he is a Mason, belonging to the Blue lodge of that place. While a resident of Federal Point, Florida, he was elected alderman and was serving as mayor of that city when he returned north.

Mr. Blachly was manager of the company's store at the time of the great labor riots in 1894, and endeavored to save it from being looted by the employees of the coal company. While the miners were all friendly disposed toward him, their hatred of the company was intense and, believing they had been wronged, concluded to wreck the store. Mr. Blachly was the last to leave when the mob broke in. When the mob was disposed to destroy the dwelling of Mr. Dalzell, the superintendent of the mines, Mr. Blachly was one of twelve men that stood guard over the premises.

Louis S. Blachly is a representative of a family that came originally from Maverick, Scotland. From England, the ancestors of our subject (Louis S. Blachly) sailed for New Jersey in 1680, and removed to Pennsylvania in 1790. The great-great-grandfather of our subject, Miller Blachly, married Eleanor Boyd, a resident of New Jersey, and to them were born four children: Dr. William; Miller, Jr., Eben and Poly.

Miller Blachly, Jr., married Phoebe Bell, and they resided east of the Alleghany mountains in Pennsylvania. In their family were eight children, namely: Dr. Eben, deceased, who was the grandfather of our subject; Anna, deceased; Dr. Miller, who died in 1895 at the age of ninety-four years; Phoebe, who died at the age of eighty-nine years; Anna, who died unmarried at the age of twenty-five years; Belle, who now resides in Texas; Eleanor, now a resident of Minnesota, and Sarah, the widow of Dr. Bradley, who was a missionary to Bankok, Siam. Dwight Bradley, the second son of the last names, was educated at Oberlin, Ohio, and was interpreter to the King of Siam while he lived. Another son, Rev. Dan Bradley, is one of the leading Congregational ministers of Michigan, now located at Grand Rapids.

Dr. Eben Blachly married Minerva Seely and lived near Niles, Ohio. To them were born five children, Louis Seely, Oscar Eben, Marian Minerva, John Williamson and Dr. Charles Perkins. After the death of his first wife, Dr. Blachly married Jane Trew, by whom he had two children, Andrew Trew and Dr. Frank Chalmers Trew. The former was shot by one of the Dalton gang of desperadoes while defending the bank in Gunnison county, Colorado, of which he was cashier. The coat of arms of the Blachly Family was a copper plate pine tree, on which was engraved on one of the branches a bunch of quills, and at the foot of which was a beaver, a Latin motto, the English of which was: "Use the World."

The parents of our subject (Louis S. Blachly), Louis Seely and Rebecca (McCombs) Blachly were both natives of Trumbull county, Ohio. The father was an able physician and surgeon, a graduate of the Washington and Jefferson College of Pennsylvania and the Cleveland Medical Collage. He began practice at Dane, Wisconsin, was later a physican of Wyandott, Kansas, but after four years returned to Wisconsin and engaged in practice for a year at Lodi. During the Civil war he entered the army as a volunteer surgeon, and was assigned to the One Hundred and Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. While in the service he was taken ill and died in May, 1863, at the age of thirty-seven years. Still a young man, his outlook for the future was very bright until disease marked him as its victim. He was an earnest Christian and an elder in the Presbyterian church. His wife, who died in 1773, at the age of forty-six years, was a member of the same denomination in Lodi, was a woman of eminent piety, doing all in her power for the betterment of mankind, and was very active in church work.

Our subject (Louis S. Blachly) is the oldest in the family of three children. His brother, Eben McCombs, is a practicing dentist at Herinton, Kansas. He married Anna McConnell, of Manhattan, Kansas, and they have three children, Louis, Ella and Fred. The sister of our subject, Ella M., is the wife of Henry Andrews, a leading attorney of Columbia county, Wisconsin, located at Lodi, and they have one child, Ella Grace.

[The Biographical record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois., Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1896 , Page 64-66- Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

David A. Bryant
The subject of this review is a self-made man who without any extraordinary family or pecuniary advantages at the commencement of life, has battled earnestly and energetically, and by indomitable courage and integrity has maintained character and achieved fortune. By sheer force of will and untiring effort he has worked his way upward and the success he has achieved now enables him to live retired, his home being in Erie. He was born in Bureau county, Illinois, November 15, 1856, his parents being David and Margaret (Steinbrook) Bryant, both natives of Pennsylvania, Washington county. The father was a farmer and in pioneer times in the history of Illinois settled in that state. He afterward removed to Wyandotte county, Ohio, thence to Lake county, Indiana, and later he took up his abode in Bureau county, Illinois, and finally settled in Kansas where he died at the age of seventy-seven years. Both the parents of our subject were loyal members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Bryant was three times married. He first wedded Miss Adams, by whom he had two children; Nancy, wife of William Fisher, a banker of Porter county, Indiana; and Isaac, who was married but died many years ago. The second wife was the mother of our subject, who died at the age of thirty-five years. Her children were J. H., a resident of Parsons, Kansas; J. A., who died at the age of forty years; D. S., who died January 24, 1894, at the age of forty-nine; John William, who went to California in an early day; David A., and George W., who died in infancy. Of this number J. A. served as a non-commissioned officer in the Union army for more than four years, belonging to Company C, 42nd Illinois infantry, attached to the Army of the Southwest, and with which he saw much hard fighting. D. S. Bryant became a member of Company G, of the 132nd Illinois regiment and did garrison duty for six months.

In the common schools of Illinois the subject of this review was educated and throughout his active business career carried on farming. In the latter part of April, 1867, he came to Kansas and has since resided in Neosho county. He bought thirty-five acres in the town of Erie and one hundred and sixty acres in Walnut Grove township, all of which is now well improved, having been transformed into a valuable tract of land. On the town property he has a good gas well which affords him both light and fuel.
On the 26th of February, 1878, Mr. Bryant was united in marriage to Miss Laura A. White, a native of Peoria county, Illinois, and a daughter of W. H. White, who followed farming in Neosho county until his death, which occurred when he was sixty-four years of age. He served as a captain of Company E, 77th regiment of Illinois volunteers in the civil war and was a brave and loyal soldier. Mr. White and his wife were members of the United Brethren church and the latter is now living on a farm in Walnut Grove township at the age of sixty-five years. She became the mother of eight children; Joseph, who died in childhood, in Illinois; M. B., a farmer of this county; Mrs. Bryant; Charles W., a resident farmer of Walnut Grove township; Arthur S., who died in Seattle, Washington, and was buried in Bethel cemetery, in Walnut Grove township, this county; Clara M., wife of John Samples, a farmer living near Kimball; Rosa E., wife of Samuel Hendrex, their home being with the mother in Walnut Grove township, and Ora B., wife of J. W. Ermey, a farmer living near Leanna.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Bryant was born one son, Bertie Allen, whose birth occurred August 7, 1879, and who departed this life April 27, 1888. The parents hold membership with the Knights and Ladies of Security and Mrs. Bryant is vice president of their lodge. They also belong to the Methodist Episcopal church and the wife is serving as a member of the board of stewards and as president of the Ladies' Aid Society of the M. E. church. In politics Mr. Bryant is an ardent Republican and at one time served as township treasurer, and has also been on the city council for three years. His business affairs have claimed much of his attention and have been so ably managed, his investments so judiciously made and his efforts so discriminatingly directed that he has won prosperity. His business career will hear the closest investigation for his methods have ever been honorable and have commended him to the confidence of all. . [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]
 

Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page



Back to Genealogy Trails