Harvey Marion Trimble
Rock Island Argus (Rock Island, Ill.), May 22, 1902
Career of New Commander
Harvey Marion Trimble, the new commander of the Illinois department G. A. R., who resides at Princeton, Ill., was born near Wilmington, in Clinton County, Ohio, January 17, 1842. His father's name was Mathew Trimble and his mother's name was Lydia Thatcher. The family home was removed from Ohio to Illinois and located on a farm near Princeton, in Bureau County, Illinois, October 25, 1843 and remained there until 1867, when it was changed to Princeton.
The subject of this sketch was the sixth son. He has two sisters and one brother younger than himself. His education was obtained in the common schools, supplemented by a partial course at Eureka College, Illinois. He quit college to enter the army.
While executing orders received from his commanding officer, on Jan. 13, 1863, while on a scout, he was captured by the enemy, near Ridgeway, Tennessee, and remained a prisoner fourteen days, being released on Jan. 27, 1863, which was the twenty-first anniversary of his birth. He rejoined the regiment Jan. 30, 1863, near Memphis, Tenn.
During the entire period of his service, he was on every march, (except about ten miles, when he was a prisoner) and in every battle and skirmish in which the command participated.
In August, 1863, Col. Putnam recommended him to the governor of Illinois for promotion to a captaincy. He had no intimation of the recommendation until several days had elapsed after promotion, and so wrote to Gov. Yates and the commission was not issued.
On his return home in the employ of the clerk of the circuit court, he arranged and indexed all the cases previously disposed of in that court.
Dec. 4, 1865 he was appointed deputy clerk of the circuit court of Bureau County and served in that capacity until Nov. 20, 1867, when he resigned.
Oct. 9, 1866 he was married to Miss Margaret S. Dakin. They have five sons, viz.: Winfred K., Cairo A., Robert C., Harvey D. and Perry D., and three grandchildren, viz.: Winfred E., Margaret V., and Cairo W., children of the three oldest sons, respectively.
Immediately after the close of the war, he resumed the study of law and was admitted to the bar, licensed as an attorney and counselor of law Nov. 20, 1867, and has been in regular practice continuously ever since, at Princeton.
He was master in chancery of the circuit court of Bureau County, by successive appointments, made by Judge Edwin S. Leland, from April 1, 1868, until Dec. 26, 1877, at which latter date his resignation of the office, dated Dec. 3, 1877, was accepted.
He was four times elected County judge of Bureau county, to-wit, Nov. 7, 1882, Nov. 2, 1886, and Nov. 6, 1894. He was commissioned as county judge, Dec. 1, 1877, to date from Dec. 3, 1877, and Dec. 1, 1882, and Dec. 6, 1886, to date from then, and Nov. 21, 1894, to date from Dec. 3, 1894. He served continuously as county judge from Dec. 3, 1877 until Dec. 4, 1890, and again from Dec. 3, 1894, until June 18, 1897. He resigned the office June 8, 1897, and the resignation became effective June 18, 1897, when he was commissioned as circuit judge.
He was elected president of the Bureau County Soldiers' association at the date of its organization on July 8, 1896, and reelected, at the first annual reunion, Oct. 15, 1896, for the term of one year.
He was elected commander of Ferris post No. 309, Grand Army of the Republic, department of Illinois, located at Princeton Dec. 9, 1896, and was installed Jan. 13, 1897, (just thirty-four years after he was captured by the Confederates), for the term of one year.
June 7, 1897, he was elected circuit judge, in the Thirteenth judicial circuit of Illinois, composed of the counties of Bureau, LaSalle and Grundy. He was commissioned as circuit judge June 18th, 1897, for the term of six years, and took the oath of office on that day.