The first settler is supposed to be Daniel Dimmick, who laid a claim a little south of the village on May 19, 1830; this claim was on what was known for a long time as the Collins' farm, and the timber near him was known as Dimmick's Grove. In the fall of this year, Mr. William Hall made a claim where La Moille is now located; he lived there a little over one year, when he sold to Aaron Gunn, and moved to Indian Creek, in La Salle county, about twelve miles north of Ottawa where he with part of his family, fell victims of the terrible massacre at that place a short time after his arrival; two of the daughters escaped death, but were carried away prisoners by the Indians. Matson says in his history: "At the commencement of the Black Hawk war, Dimmick left his claim and never returned to it again, and for two years Dimmick's Grove was without inhabinants; the cabin and fences went to decay, and the untilled land grew up in weeds. When Dimmick fled from the grove he left two sows and pigs which increased in a few years to quite a drove of wild hogs that were hunted in the grove years afterwards, and from them some of the early settlers obtained their supply of pork." In 1834, Leonard Roth and David Jones came; in July of this year Jonathan Holbrook and Horace Brown settled at the grove. Perkins' Grove and La Moille settlements were so closely united that it is difficult to separate them.
In the fall of 1834 Joseph Knox, Greenbury Hall, Moses A. Bowen arrived. In 1835, Benjamin Townsend, Robert
Masters and other settlers in and near the immediate vicinity of La Moille. In 1836 Tracy Reeve and Dr. John Kendall
came and bought the Bowen farm and laid if off into lots and gave it the name of Greenfield, but it was afterwards
called La Moille. In 1842 a post-office named Perkins Grove was established, but it was soon discontinued. In 1839
La Moille was excited over a proposed railroad, and some of the grading was done, but the enterprise was never
carried out. Among the men who came on the scene a little later should be mentioned R. B. Frary, Elisha Fassett,
Ellis Wood, John Crossman, Joseph Allen, James J. Hopkins, and Dr. Daniel Jones. All were citizens of character
and ability and will be remembered as men who gave life and stability to that community. La Moille has had several
small manufacturing establishments within her borders.
The village of La Moille was first incorporated as a village under the laws in force prior to 1872, in February 25, 1867, and in 1888 under the laws in force since July 1, 1888. The corporation contained by census of 1900, 576 people. It has a fine brick school building well supplied with modern apparatus. The building contains six school rooms and a fine audience hall and was the gift of Mr. Joseph Allen. La Moille is noted for being in the natural gas belt. Quite a number of her citizens heat and light their houses with this gas. It is a township of thrifty farmers and good homes. The population, including the village of La Moille, according to the census of 1900, was 1,345; the village (page 113) numbered 576. This town has been served by the following supervisors:
Supervisors of La Moille Township
Isaac Norris, 1851; Tracy Reeve, 1852; Timothy Edwards, 1853; Tracy Reeve, 1854; R. B. Frary, 1855; W. B. Howard, 1856; E. W. Fassett, 1857; David Hall 1858-59; Tracy Reeve, 1860; D. Hall, 1861; S. Edwards, 1862-63; A. B. Minnerly, 1864-65; Z. S. Hills, 1866; C. H. Bryant, 1867-70; E. W. Fassett, 1871; R. B. Frary 1872; E. A. Washburn 1873-75; E. P. Edwards, 1876-83; W. S. Martin, 1884-87; A. N. Stevenson, 1888-93; George M. White, 1894-97; Charles Baird, Jr., 1898-99; L. H. Cass, 1900-01; L. M. Perkins, 1902-06.
(Take from the Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois. Chicago: Pioneer Publishing, 1906, Page 112-113 - La Moille Township)
Among the first settlers in the county were Aaron Gunn and Daniel Dimmick, who settled in this township. In 1830 came William Hall, and located where the village of Lamoille now stands. In 1834 Leonard Roth and Dave Jones came; then Jonathan Holbrook and Moses A. Bowen - they purchased Gunn's claim. About the same time Enos Holbrook and R. and P. Argier, Joseph Knox and Greenbury Hall came. Timothy Perkins lived here a short time. In 1835 Benjamin Township, Robert Masters and Joseph Frank came. In 1836 Wilson Daily and Gilbert and Mitchell Clemens came and made farms west of the creek. The same year Zenas Church came. He built a sawmill on Big Bureau, Section 22.
In the spring of 1836 Tracy Reeve and Dr. John Kendall came. They bought the Bowen farm and laid off on it the village of Lamoille. Mr. Bowen had previously made a survey of land but never perfected and recorded his town plat.
In the list of early settlers and long prominent men in the county are Isaac H. Norris, Henry Holbrook, A. Blodgett, Jonathan Holbrook, E. M. Eastman, Ziba Dimmick, Enoch Pratt, Samuel and Abner Edwards, Solomon Roth and E. M. Eastman. Elisha W. Fassett came in 1835, John Hetzler in 1834. Daily settled near the ford on Bureau and it was long known as Dailey's Ford. Zenas Church, O. M. Eastman, Gilbert Clemens, Sol Williams all came in 1836. Dave Perkins, an old bachelor, came in 1834. Dave Jones, we are informed by Matson, was a hard citizen. He went to Indiana and died an ignoble death.
Joseph Search came from Kentucky, a native of Virginia. He improved a farm on Section 6, and in 1844 sold out and went to Texas. He lost every member of his family here except three sons. They lie in the Lamoille Graveyard.
Rev. John Hetzler came from Indiana in 1834. He purchased Timothy Perkins' claim and improved the place and died here. His son, John lived on the old place until 1884, when he went to Iowa. Hetzler was of the persuasion of the Free-Will Baptists.
Brown sold to George Hammer, and he in turn sold to Aaron Stevenson, who was an Englishman and immigrated to this county from New York in his peddler's wagon. He died here having no descendants.
A man named Bevans had a cabin near the center of Perkins' Grove. He dressed like an Indian and looked more like one than he did like a white man. He and his family went West - "or to the demnition bow-wows," and "I don't care which," was the remark of an old settler in his account of the noble Bevans tribe. Robert and John Masters lived here as early as 1835. Robert went to Minnesota; John built a mill on Bureau Creek, Leepertown. A. N. Brown or "Dogs-take-it" Brown, was from New Hampshire. He is mentioned above as having sold to George Hammer.
Horace Bowen is remembered as a very odd character, more Indian than American in many of his characteristics. Timothy Edwards was of an old English family. He came to Bureau County in 1839, a harness-maker, but farmed here until he went to Wisconsin. He married Catharine Clapp. She died here August 24, 1850, the mother of five children.
The most important manufactory in Lamoille is W. & J. McNeill's creamery, spoken of elsewhere. The capacity of this establishment is about 3,000 lbs. per day. Dean's patent corn cutter is manufactured here.
[Source: History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Page 420-421]