Genealogy Trails
Bureau County Illinois  
Milo Township History

 
 Milo Township
History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Page 437

John Dixon was the first settler, and then his brother-in-law, Charles S. Boyd succeeded him. The settlement was made at the famous Boyd's Grove. After Boyd left the grove it was in the possession of the Whipples for years. Boyd was alone here for ten years. In 1840 David Bryant settled on the south side of the grove, and about the same time Barney Hagan and Mr. Clark made improvements on the north side. In 1841 john A. Griswold came and also Isaac Sutherland, on Section 22. The year before Edwin Merrick and A. E. May settled on Sections 2 and 3. In 1842 J. W. Harris and J. V. Thompson settled on Sections 24 and 2. R. Steinhauer, C. R. Cook, H. Griswold, R. Hay and J. Sutherland were early settlers. A full account of these settlers is in the general county history.
A few years ago gas was found here escaping from certain springs, and also in sinking wells at many points at about a depth of thirty-five feet. It would burn and roar with great violence from any wells and often burn furiously. A company was organized in Marshall County to dig for coal oil. They went down several hundred feet and of course found nothing, all of which a slight knowledge of geology would have told them and saved them all their disappointments.
The more recent settlers were W. B. Whipple, Alfred Thompson, J. Reid, Seneca Hunter, A. H. Ford, R. Berry, George Downing, C. Benson, A. J. Nevitt, A. Cook, U. Weidman, H. Rich, N. Pullman, S. G. Butter, J. P. Swift, J. Whittmore, G. W. Ewalt, T. R. Capperrune, B. Brewer, William Musser, J. E. Hayes, J. W. Lea, R. P. Noteman, R. M. Keerns, Walter Galbraith, William Kimball, David Chrisman, J. H. Gudgell, W. W. Pettigrew, Willaim Maclin, O. Robinson, O. C. Berry, J. Demaranville, D. Steinbrook and John Bothan.

Take from the "Map of Bureau County, Ill. with Sketches of its Early Settlement"
by N. Matson, Published by the author, Chicago, 1867.


Page 63

POPULATION 1,219

This town is nearly all prairie, which is of an excellent quality, rolling and sloping towards the south.  Boyd's Grove, before it was cut off, was a beautiful belt of timber, extending out into the prairie, cone-shaped, which gave it quite a romantic appearance.  A large portion of this town was military land, which prevented it from being settled as soon as some other towns in the county.

It's first settler was John Dixon.  In the spring of 1829, he built a house at the head of the grove, on a farm now occupied by Mrs.Whipple; in the spring of 1830, he sold his claim to Charles S. Boyd, and moved to Rock river.  This was the origin of Dixon's ferry.

For fourteen years, Boyd kept a house of entertainment for travelers.  In 1833, a post office was established here, called Boyd's Grove post office.  This office did not pay very largely to the Department, as the nearest neighbor on the south was twenty miles, on the west twelve miles, on the east fifteen miles, and on the north ten miles.

For ten years, no other person settled in this town.  In the spring of 1840, David Bryant settled on the south side of the grove, and Mr. Clark settled close by about the same time, and Barney Hagan made a farm on the north side of the grove; he occupies, and Isaac Sutherland made a farm south of the grove, on Section 22.  In 1840, Edwin Merrick and A. E. May made farms on Sections 2 and 3.  In 1842, J. W. Harris and J. V. Thompson became residents of this town, Mr. Harris settling on Section 24, and Mr. Thompson on Section 2.

Isaac Sutherland, J. V. Thompson, and J. W. Harris, were the first school trustees of this town.  J. Sutherland, R. Hay, H. Griswold, C. R. Cook, and R. Steinauer, were among the early settlers.



Milo News

Milo Township Has Big Crow Hunt
The San Juan Islander. (Friday Harbor, Wash.), November 13, 1902
Had a Big Crow Hunt
Sterling, Ill., Nov. 10
The residents of Milo Township, in Bureau County, had a great crow hunt Sunday. They state that they killed about 2,000 crows. They were out from early morning until it was impossible to see at night. In many places the crows were so thick on the ground that it was impossible to walk without stepping on the dead birds. Crows in Bureau County have been too plentiful, and have been doing great damage to fall seeding and in killing chickens. Another hunt is planned.
 

Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page



Back to Genealogy Trails