| Wyanet Township
History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Page 435
As fully told elsewhere, the very first settlement made in the county was at Bulbona Grove, by old Bulbona and his Indian wife and half-breed children. Then John M. Gay settled on Section 4, on Bureau Creek. Gay sold to Abram Obrist and he to J. Allen. In 1831 Thomas Washburn made a claim in Section 23, just west of the County Farm and here L. Triplett lived some years; he transferred his claim to Benjamin Lamb and he sold it to James Triplett in 1834. John Phillips settled on Section 10 in 1833 and about the same time E. Chilson on 35. This was afterward D. Herriott's farm. Thomas Finley settled on Section 21. George Coleman made the first improvement where the County Farm now is, and Edward Triplett just south of the farm. In 1834 Aquilla Triplett came. In 1835 Solomon Sapp, Leumel and Rufus Carey settled here.
Milton Cain, William Allen, Thomas Clark, William Frankerberger, Ellis and Edward Mercer were all early settlers.
Ellis Mercer built a saw-mill in 1837 on Big Bueau, Section 36. He put up another mill on Section 27. Amos Leonard built the first flouring-mill on Section 35. In 1835 Amos Leonard built a mill south of this in Indiantown.