Bureau County Illinois  
Village History

 

 

Arlington

Arispe

Bourbonnais

Buda

Bureau
(Bureau Junction)

Cherry

Cottage

Dalzell

DePue

Dover

Hollowayville

Ladd

La Moille

Limerick

Indiantown
(Tiskilwa)

Lone Tree Corners

Malden

Manlius

Milo

Mineral

Neponset

New Bedford

Ohio

Princeton

Providence Colony

Seatonville

Sheffield

South Milo

Walnut

Whitefield (Corners)

Wyanet

Yorktown

West Hennepin


Arispe

The first settler here was Amos Leonard, then Michael Kitterman and Dave Jones, then Cyrus Watson, Dr. A. Langworthy, Mr. Argrove, Alexander Holbrook, Ferrill Dunn, Joseph Beeler, Joseph Booker, Elijah Searle, Alanson Benson and Elder J. B. Chenoweth. A very complete account of all these early settlers will be found in preceding pages. Dr. James Swanzy came in 1836; Oliver Milling, same year; A. M. Sheldon, 1837; Henry Obermier, 1840; David Brown, 1841, and Peleg R. Brown, 1842.

[
History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Page 436]



Limerick

Limerick
Limerick was laid out in 1857, by George Limerick. A small place, generally one store and a post office. Mr. Limerick put up the first store and soon Levi Hansel and William Townsend blacksmith shops.
[Source: History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885]

Yorktown
Yorktown was commenced in 1846 by W. and S. Dow, R. H. and S. W. Sheldon and the McKinzies. M. A. Myers, H. Hays, D. Baitz, W. H. Chase, Alden Booth and Henry Thackerberry were of the early settlers.
[Source: History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885]



Bourbonnais

In March, 1864, John H. Robinson began sinking a shaft on his land, and soon afterward the village of Bourbonnais was platted, and the year following a switch was built at the village, and it had a post office known as Lovejoy. The mining operations were continued till in the fall of 1881, when they were discontinued. Mr. Robinson after continuing the business for some years sold out to Charles Barney, who leased the coal interest except the last two years of their operating, when he continued the business himself. During Mr. Robinson's connection with the mines he was associated with different parties-first with Binks & Bradbury, of Kewanee, and afterward with Binks & Higman. Robinson was a farmer and not a miner, and so did not run it successfully; but some of the other parties were experienced miners and made money. Other parties also opened shafts in this vicinity - six shafts in all. Higman & Akar opened two shafts, one on John Owen's land, and then on Elbridge Stevens' farm, and ran it four years. The depth to which they had to go was about seventy-five feet, and thus reached the second vein, which is about five feet thick. The most to contend against was the great abundance of water. About 1876 the post office was discontinued.
The business of the village was done by one store, which was first started by S. Parks and Robinson, and then Charles Shepard was in it for two or three years, when Binks, Higman & Co. bought him out, and then the firm of J. H. Morgan & Co. took charge of the store in 1874, and discontinued in 1877.
[History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Concord Township Page 434]



Cherry
The Cherry Coal Mine Disaster



Dalzell
News From the Past  



Manlius
Local News Items - Bureau County Republican, April 7, 1881. - Donated by Mike O'Neal
Sheffield

It is a miner's town in a rich agricultural country. It was laid out by the Sheffield Mining & Transportation Company, in 1852. The company and town were named after Joseph E. Sheffield, of New Haven, Conn., who was one of the original owners of the tract of 1,000 acres of land purchased of John G. Reed by the company. The other chief men in the original company were Ebenezer Cook, Henry Farnam, and Charles Atkinson The original scheme was to develop the coal in their land. The company erected the Sheffield Hotel, and opened their first shaft in Mineral Township, near the village of that name. They paid $10,000 for the land alone. The account of the mines as now operated is given in the preceding chapter.

In 1852 E. Smith opened a store in a building afterward occupied by B. M. Howard. Mr. Alex Ruthven was the first Secretary of the Mining Company. In 1855 the railroad put up the elevator. In 1860 A. G. Scott erected another. H. C. Porter succeeded Ruthven in the coal company, and he is now remembered as one of the most public spirited men ever in the place. He left in 1875.

I. G. Reed was the first settler here. The Mining Company put up a frame building in a very early time, and hauled the lumber for it on wagons from Chicago. This company certainly did a great work in developing the county's coal interests, and building up one of its most thriving towns.

History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Concord Township Page 434-435
Ohio

History of the Village of Ohio
West Hennepin

Lewis Lurley, A. S. Needham and G. T. Gorham laid off this place in 1836. From 1842 to 1852 it was quite a shipping point, and hence was a considerable pork and grain market. It had several large warehouses. The railroads destroyed the place. A ferry was established here in 1831, at the time Hennepin was made a town.
History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Page 437

Cottage

Obituary of Henry Howe Allen (pioneer settler of the Cottage Community)

The Cottage ME Church Sunday School Records - Includes Officers for the years 1893 - 1902 and Officers & Class Rosters for the years 1909, 1910 and 1912

The Cottage Methodist Episcopal Church Epworth League Records - Records from 1898 to 1901

Cottage News Items (Added News Items from 1915)

 
 

Hollowayville

1877 News Items (local gossip column from March 1877)

 Hollowayville Cornet Band Photos - Contributed by John Luken (Austrian Park Entrance and the Hollowayville Cornet Band, Jospeh Luken's Tavern and the Holloway Cornet Band)

Hollowayville Village Hall - Contributed by Jim Piacenti
 

Ladd

The History of Ladd - Contributed by Jim Piacenti

Ladd Photos - Contributed by Jim Piacenti  

La Moille

History of the Village of Lamoille (Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois. Chicago: Pioneer Publishing, 1906)

Local News Items - Bureau County Republican, April 21, 1881. - Donated by Mike O'Neal

Lone Tree Corners

History

Lone Tree Post Office
News

Miscellaneous News (Taken From the Henry Republican)

Andrew Anderson and Lone Tree (Taken from the Henry Republican November 1875)
Photos

1910 Lone Tree School, Wheatland township, Bureau County, Illinois (Includes photo and names of students, teacher and directors)

Milo

A Trip Out of Town - Taken From the Henry Republican, September 29, 1870

Local Gossip from Milo (May 13, 1880, June 3, 1880, January 26, 1882, April 17,  1882 , July 6, 1882 , March 29, 1883, January 18, 1934)

George Longman Killed by Roger Phelps in Dispute over $1.50


South Milo

Local Gossip from South Milo, July 22, 1915  

New Bedford

Photos of New Bedford - Contributed by Jim Fuhr
(Also I included a short history - if anyone has anything else to add, please email me.)

Photos of New Bedford - Contributed by Jim Fuhr

Princeton

Business Directories

1845 Business Directory Taken From the Hennepin Herald and Advertisement, August 23, 1845)

1876 Princeton Directory - H section (courtesy Chris Hanson and the Bureau County Genealogical Society)

1897 City Directory - Princeton partial p. 120 and 121  (Courtesy Chris Hanson and The Bureau County Genealogical Society)
History

Religion At The Time Of Early Settlement  (Short sketch by N. Matson printed in the Marshall County Republican in 1867)

Princeton and the Underground Railroad (Short sketch by N. Matson printed in the Marshall County Republican in 1868)

The Smith Family of Princeton, Illinois (Donated by Jeff Thorn, descendant of this Pioneer Family)
News

Description of Princeton (Alton Observer - 1837)

Local News Items From the Past

Seatonville

History

The History of Seatonville By Mrs. Will Witherspoon  - Donated by Dawn Champley

Photos

 Photos of Seatonville - Donated by Dawn Champley (Photo of Seatonville from the slag pile; the company store; looking southwest from Lucan's corner; Pipers and Fletchers, agents for Hudson Auto in Bureau County)

The Seatonville Town Hall  - - Contributed by Jim Piacenti  

Photos of Seatonville - Donated by John Luken

  • Page 1:  (Austrian Park Baseball Team; 1905 Austrian Park Baseball Game; ; Austrian Park Entrance )

  • Page 2:  (Coal Mine Shaft #4, Seatonville, IL, Star Union Block, Seatonville, IL, Rail Road Station, Seatonville, IL, Downtown, Seatonville, IL, Looking North, Seatonville, IL)

  • Page 3: (Looking South, Seatonville, IL; Seatonville Lake, Seatonville, IL; Mine Workers, Seatonville, IL)

  • Page 4:  Joseph Luken's Tavern

  • Page 5:  Austrian Park Entrance and the Hollowayville Cornet Band, Jospeh Luken's Tavern and the Holloway Cornet Band

  • 1918 Seatonville Illinois High School Graduating Class

Whitefield (Corners)

Disasters

 
June 1868 Storm in Whitefield  (by J.P. Swift taken from the Marshall County Republican)
News

Local Gossip from Whitefield Corners (
Dec. 25, 1873, May 7, 1874, Jan. 25, 1877, Dec. 5, 1878, April 17, 1879, August 5, 1880 July 6, 1882, March 29, 1883, January 21, 1915, June 7, 1915)

Fire at G. W. Snell's Store - June 3, 1880

1922 Grocery Store advertisement
Photos

Photos of Whitefield Corners and Whitefield Corners Grocery - Contributed by Norman Horack

Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page



Back to Genealogy Trails