Bureau County Illinois  
Wyanet History Index

 

Wyanet Village was laid out in 1856, by Henry King. William Moffatt put up the first house. Franklin Crittenden was the time before Crittenden did, but remained only a short time and left. John Stubbs was the first blacksmith. Mr. Crittenden built the Wyanet Hotel in 1858. The railroad did not erect depot buildings until 1857. A warehouse was put up in 1855. William Moffatt shipped the first car-load of grain from here in 1854. The village was regularly incorporated in 1857. Andrew Sapp, George Douglas, Isaac Dysinger, F. A. Robinson, L. F. Houghton were the additional early prominent men of the place.
[History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Page 435]

 Photo of the CB&Q, CRI&P track crossing

Photo of the Wyanet Canal

 

Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page



Back to Genealogy Trails