Return to Main Page
Source: archive.com - "History of Calhoun County and its people up to the year 1910" by: Carpenter, George Wilbur
In the year 1834 all of the territory now included in Carlin and Crater Precincts was organized into one precinct, which was known as Illinois Precinct , The voting place for the precinct was the home of Jacob Crader, Sr., several miles south of the present site of Kamps- ville. On June 3, 1839 Carlin Precinct was formed and the John Beeman Ferry house was designated as the place where the elections were held. This precinct was probably named inj honor of Thomas Carlin, who had been elected Governor of Illinois in 1838.
Probably the first settler in Carlin Precinct was James G. Tharp, who came to the county in 1829. The Commissioners Records mention the names of Isahel Newell, J. B. Newell, John Beeman, William Beeman, and Thomas Larkin as being residents of the precinct in the 30's. Other early settlers were Jesse Simmons (1838), Thomas Dam- ley (in the early 40's), Israel Piper (in the 40's), Francis Lynn (in the 40's), Greagory Becker (in the early 50's), John Sibley (1854), John S. Lane (1860), and Sebastan Retzer (1860).
Both John and William Beeman operated a ferry at different times. Carlin Precinct never had a large population at any time, and no large towns ever locted there. A post-office had been established at Silver Creek, but when Kampsville became important, the office was moved to that place