Return to Main Page
Source: archive.com - "History of Calhoun County and its people up to the year 1910" by: Carpenter, George Wilbur
There are a number of towns that are shown on maps that were made before the Civil War that are not listed on the recent maps.
One of those. towns was Milan. In 1837 it was described as "a post-office and town site in south Calhoun, fractional section 28, township 13S., one west. The first post-office in Point Precinct was located at Milan and the Postmaster was John Bolter, who was one of the prominent men in the southern part of the county in the early days.
The post-office remained at Milan until 1849, when it was transferred to Deer Plain. Milan was located several miles below the present site of the Golden Eagle.
The land in and about the od town of Milan is now owned by John Schmieder, one of the County Commissioners of Calhoun County.