To The
Carroll County Biographies

GEORGE MILLER

GEORGE MILLER, a retired blacksmith and public-spirited resident of Shannon, was born in Stephenson county, April 18, 1847, a son of Wendel and Nettie Miller. Both parents were natives of Germany, but came to America in 1842. A son was born to them during their trip on the ocean, whom they named Charles, who now lives at Ashton, Ia. The father passed away when George Miller was eight years old, having been a blacksmith by trade.

When only seventeen years old, Mr. Miller began learning to be a blacksmith with Jacob Kline of Freeport, continuing to work for him until he was twenty-eight years old, when he began in business for himself. Taking a partner, Mr. Miller formed the firm of Spengler & Miller, and did business until 1902, when he retired. In conjunction with this line of work, he handled imported Belgian hoses for thirty years, and was very successful. In addition to his handsome home in Shannon, he owns 100 acres of valuable land north of Shannon.

On October 1, 1873, Mr. Miller was married to Katherine Smith, daughter of John W. and Barbara (Metsger) Smith, natives of Germany. Mrs. Miller was born in New York, July 5, 1854. Mr. Smith was a carpenter by trade, but during the latter part of his life, engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. Miller became the parents of the following children: Adam J. of Plattville, Wis., a merchant; Henry J. who is a partner of Adam; Mrs. Josephine Gemmill, wife of Harry Gemmill of Shannon, Ill. There are two grandchildren in the family. Mr. Miller was reared a Catholic. While residing in Freeport, he belonged to the fire company, and upon coming to Shannon, joined the hook and ladder company. In every way, he has endeavored to do what he has believed to be his duty, and has been a man of reliability wherever he has resided. All his life, he has held the confidence of those with whom he has been associated, and he has always given the candidates of the Democratic party his cordial and efficient support.

Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Carroll County, Vol. II, Munsell Publishing Company, 1913 Pg 852

Back home