To The
Carroll County Biographies

JACOB MOORE

Jacob M. Moore, son of George A. Moore, one of nine children, was born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, and was brought to northwest Illinois at the age of six weeks in a covered wagon. During the long journey, his mother cradled him in her arms sitting in a rush-woven rocker built for the occasion by the father. The last stop for the wagon train was at Knox's Mill (now Milledgeville) to rest and to feed and water their teams. They settled in Carroll County just north of the former Harry Brudi farm where

George A. purchased a large tract of land from the government. He donated a parcel of the land to the Apple River Mission, later known as the Mt. Carroll circuit, and now known as the Woodland United Brethren Church, with provisions that a fence be built and maintained around the cemetery. Jacob attended the Common Schools in Mt. Carroll along with his brothers and sisters.

In 1861, during the call to arms for the Civil War, Jacob and his brother, Harlan, played the fife and drums at the Court House Square to arouse the patriotic fervor of other young men. They became so enthusiastic they ran away to Galena (the County Seat of JoDaviess County) to enlist; only to find they were much too young. Before returning home, they purchased a statuette of a soldier to give their mother as a peace offering. George A. Jr., a brother, who was seven years older than Jacob enlisted in 1864 and served his Country. He was honorably discharged, then married, and settled in Grundy County, Iowa. Jacob and Harlan remained at home to help their father on the farm.

In 1877, Jacob married Anna Durham, a school teacher, who had attended Shimer Seminary, and taught Henderson School near the Woodland Church. To this union was born two children, George Ernest and Ethel Tone. Tone never married and devoted her life to her parents. She was an excellent seamstress and a fine needlework artist. She was active in the Woman's Relief Corp, the Royal Neighbors of America, and the First Baptist Church in Mt. Carroll of which she was a member.

Ernest was a carpenter-contractor by trade. He built many barns in and around Mt. Carroll and designed and built many homes of the Frank Lloyd Wright style of architecture. An example of his woodwork finishing can be found in the dining hail interior of the Caroline Mark Home in Mt. Carroll. He designed and built the power plant at Shimer College. Later he was employed by the T.D. Hobson & Son, Contractors of South Chicago, who built McKee Hall on Shimer Campus. Mr. Hobson was so impressed by his ability to draw and read blue prints that he persuaded him to assist in building the Dalton School in Chicago and other schools and churches. His hobbies were photography, bookkeeping, truck farming and upholstering.

Ione and Ernest were both accomplisted musicians. In addition to playing for many celebrations and dances, he was pianist for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of which he was a member. He was also first violinist in the IOOF orchestra.

In 1910 Ernest married Cora M. Somerville of Berreman Township, JoDaviess County. They were the parents of six children. Helen and Jeannette, who reside with their mother in Freeport, Mrs. Wayne (Thelma) Frederick of Stockton, Iffinois, Mrs. Don (Irma) Berkbigler of Freeport, Mrs. Thomas (Virginia) Fritz, Mt. Carroll. and Ernest M. Moore of Elroy, Illinois.

Source: A Goodly Heritage Supplement #1 Spring 1975

Back home


Illinois - "Our Way"