Carroll County Biographies

JOHN MORRIS

Rock Creek Township

The southeast half of section 32, owned and occupied by the subject of this sketch, is acknowledged to be one of the finest farms in Rock Creek Twp. It has been brought to a h igh state of cultivation and embellished with handsome and substantial buildings, together with all the other appurtenances of the model country estate. Mr. Morris is a man of more than ordinary abilities, and, not only his farming operations, but his business transactions and his moneyed investments have uniformly met with success. As one of the early settlers of this county, who materially assisted in its growth and development, he is looked upon with unqualified respect by not only the residents of his own township, but by a large proportion of the people of this section generally.

The native place of Mr. Morris was in the township of Pike, Bradford Co. PA, where he was born May 25, 1834. He is descended from Welsch ancestry, being the son of David and Elizabeth (Jones) Morris, who were natives of Wales, and the latter of whom died in PA when her son John was a little lad four years of age. David Morris survived his partner many years, and died at his home in PA about 1885, after having arrived at the age of 85 years. The parental family included four children of whom our subject was the second born.

John Morris came to this county in 1854, when a young man twenty years of age, and settling in this township, engaged that first summer as a farm laborer at $20 per month. Later he was occupied at farming, and in due time began making arrangements for the establishment of a home of his own. With this end in view, he was married in 1862, to Miss Sarah Copp. Mrs. Morris was born Oct. 1, 1839, in New Hampshire and is the daughter of Micahel and Anna (Page) Copp, who were also natives of the old Granite State, and of English Ancestry. Mr. Copp departed this life in IL in the year 1882, when 77 years of age. The mother is still living, and is now in her 81st year, making her home with our subject. Of the five children born to them, three are living, having their homes in IL and IA. Mr. and Mrs. Morris became the parents of three children, one of whom died when an infant. The survivors are George and Hattie, both at home with their parents.

Mr. Morris may be most properly termed a self-made man, as he commenced life poor in purse, and has accumulated his property solely through the exercise of his industry and economy. In addition to the home farm, he has 900 acres in all elsewhere, also in a high state of cultivation. The present family residence was erected in 1875, at a cost of $3,500. Mr. Morris has one fine barn, put up at an outlay of $2,500, besides another which cost him $1,100. He also has hay barns, corncribs, and other buildings, which afford ample stabling room for 200 head of cattle, including forty cows, together with thirteen head of horses.

Mr. Morris feeds most of the grain raised upon his farm. His cornfields yield annually between 2,000 and 3,000 bushels. He keeps 120 head of swine and a number of sheep. He has become quite noted for his benevolence, and is uniformly the patron of charitable enterprises, and, in fact, all things calculated to improve the condition of the people around him. In political matters he supports the principles of the Republican party.

Portrait & Biographical Pg 901

Back home