To The
Carroll County Biographies


Rev. Marvin Root, who had the distinction of being the first Congregational minister to preach in what is now the city of Lanark, is closely associated with the early history of Carroll county and although he has been dead many years, is still tenderly remembered by many who know and esteemed him in life. He was a native of Connecticut, born in 1802, a son of Nathaniel and Candice (Hammond) Root, and a descendant of Thomas Root, one of three brothers who came to America with land grants from King George of England, from whom most of the Roots in the United States today are descended. Nathaniel, father of Marvin Root, was a soldier in the Revolution, crossed the Delaware on that historic trip, when he was an occupant of the same boat as Gen. Washington, and later was one of the captors of Captain Andre. Later he served terms as member of the Connecticut legislature.

During his active labors in Lanark and vicinity Rev. Root was regarded as a leading member of society, and won the personal regard of all who knew him. He received his education in Williams College and Yale Theological Seminary, and his first charge was at Wapping, Conn., but in 1855 he removed to Illinois, spending five years in McHenry county, after which he came to Ogle and Carroll counties, dividing his time and labors among a number of small congregations in those counties. He was of the Congregational denomination and brought inspiration to many and a wish to live better lives.

Mr. Root was married Loxea Bushnell,, of Connecticut, and they had children as follows: Daniel, who is of Missouri; Charles, who died in Lincoln, Neb., in 1908; George A.; Thomas, who was a member of Company K, Fifteenth Illinois, died of typhoid fever during the Civil War; Eleazer, who served in the Sixty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; Elizabeth, Mrs. M. D. Welch, of Omaha, Neb. Rev. Root died June 7, 1880, and is buried at Lanark. His widow died about 1890, at the age of eighty-four years, and is also buried at Lanark.

Transcribed by Carol Parrish
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Carroll County, Vol. II, Munsell Publishing Company, 1913, p. 879 - 880.

Back home