Charles Zugschwerdt attended the public schools and during the winter of 1883 enjoyed one term in the Mt. Morris College, where he took a business course. He returned then to the home farm and, with his brothers, assisted his father in the large industrial activities carried on, the management of more than 800 acres of land and the raising of cattle and stock requiring constant toil and unremitting care and attention. After his marriage he rented eighty acres of land from his father, situated on sections 8, 12, 13, Fair Haven township, and now owned by Henry Zugschwerdt, where he continued for one year and then removed to the place he now owns, sections 11 and 14, Fair Haven township, 160 acres lying parallel with the public road. At that time a small frame building only was on the place but he began to make the fine improvements and now has a well stocked, well improved and very valuable farm. He is wide awake and progressive in all his undertakings and makes use of first class machinery in carrying on his farming and is very particular also about his stock, his horses being excellent for the uses to which he designs to put them, his cattle being of the Red-Polled brand and his hogs the Poland-China variety. He gives both land and stock intelligent care and this attention is well repaid. He is one of his father's heirs, the large estate having been amicably divided between the five children.
On May 11, 1887, Mr. Zugschwerdt was married to Miss Maggie Gildmacher, a daughter of Carl and Barbara (Queckbeorner) Gildmacher, both of whom were born in Germany and both now deceased. Mrs. Zugschwerdt was born in Fair Haven township, March 14, 1869. Her brothers and sisters are: Frederick; Charles, who is a farmer in Wysox township; Conrad, who is a farmer in Clarke county, S. Dak.; August, who is a contractor and builder, residing at Elgin, Ill.; Katie, who is the wife of George Long, a farmer in Fair Haven township; and Minnie, who is the wife of Charles Hicks, who is engaged in the merchant tailoring business at Peoria, Ill. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Zugschwerdt, namely: Elmer, born July 17, 1892; Allen, born April 10, 1895; Glenn, born August 27, 1897; Grace, born July 11, 1901; and Carl, born September 3, 1903; and two deceased; Clara, who was born September 20, 1889, died September 14, 1891; and one who died in infancy. The living children have been given many advantages, careful rearing, adequate education and social standing and they are thus prepared to meet any situation that life may present for their acceptance, and they appreciate their opportunities.
For forty-eight years Mr. Zugschwerdt has been identified with the best interests of Carroll county. Formerly a Republican and a firm believer in the principles advocated by Abraham Lincoln he is now a Progressive. At times he has served acceptably in local offices but has not been a seeker for political prominence. In addition to his farm he owns valuable realty at Chadwick and has other interests. He was one of the early directors of the Farmers Mutual Telephone Company and is public spirited in everything and way promising to be beneficial to this section. He and family are active in the Lutheran Church at Chadwick and in the Sunday-school and for nine years he has been a church trustee. Some years hence Mr. Zugschwedt may retire from his agricultural labors and build on his lots in Chadwick which he is improving with shade and ornamental trees, which add greatly to the attractiveness of the town.
Contributed by Carol Parrish