To The
United Brethren In Christ
Otter Creek Class

This class or church was organized in the Fall of 1864, by Rev. J. D. Brown. It is a branch of the Hazel Green Class, in Whiteside Co., organized on account of the distance of the members here from Hazel Green. There were three members, or three who signed their names the day they made the organization: Mrs. Susan Winters, John Meakins and W. J. Winters. The class organized with twenty-six members. The day being bad prevented their coming out. They organized in the Otter Creek school house, and worshipped there until 1870, when the original building at Hazel Green was donated by that church or society. It was moved here, on its present location, May, 1870. It was built in 1862, at a cost of $1,000. Upon its being moved here, it was repaired at a cost of $650, and was re-dedicated in July, 1870. It has just undergone repairs again at an additional cost of $230.

Ministers of Otter Creek Class:
1. S. D. Brown
2. C. Wendle
3. J. H. Grim
4. J. W. Bird
5. Wm. Coursey
6. E. D. Palmer
7. F. Reible
8. N. E. Gardner

N.E. Gardner, is the present pastor, and lives in Coleta, Whiteside Co. Present church membership, thirty-seven; has a Sunday-school of sixty scholars in a flourishing condition. W. J. Winters, one of the three organizing members, is leader of the class. S. D. Manning, class steward; B. M. Beers, Sunday-school superintendent.

From the History Of Carroll County Pg. 501

home


Illinois - "Our Way"

Copyright Christine Walters All Rights Reserved