Cad Allard, the present Postmaster of Beardstown, and editor and proprietor of the Star of the West, was born in Virginia, Illinois, August 31, 1854. His father was Dr. L.S. Allard, one of the pioneer physicians and druggists of Cass county, and was one of the most forcible political writers of Central Illinois. He started and conducted for many years the Cass County Courier and was an active worker in politics. He served his country in the war of the Rebellion, entering it as a Captain and coming out a Colonel; also in the Mexican war as a Lieutenant. He is a Republican and is now a resident of Hot Springs, Arkansas. His mother was a Miss Sarah F. Payne, of Lexington, Kentucky, and is yet living. The complete history of Beardstown could not be given without a brief mention of the paper known as the Weekly Star of the West, a strong Republican paper, and the Evening Star, which is neutral. The energetic editor and proprietor, whose name heads this article, is entitled to the credit of making a success of a daily in so small a city and a weekly paper which is read by an intelligent public throughout a wide territory. The daily Star is but one year old, but has already won the confidence of the people. The Weekly Star has had an existence since 1888, and is now one of the leading Republican sheets of the West. It has just moved into elegant new quarters on Main street, with editorial and counting room on the ground floor. The editor handles every subject ably and without fear or favor; he is a practical newspaper man, a strong and forcible writer; and his life from the time he was fourteen has been spent in newspaper work. He began work in his father's office in Virginia, Illinois, from whom in 1872 he leased it. Young Allard ran this paper for some time and then took a partner named Mat. Summers, changing the name of the paper to the Virginia Gazette. His health failing he went to Arkansas and took charge of the Fort Smith New Era, then the property of the United States Marshal of Western Arkansas and the Indian Territory, which was the oldest and first Republican paper of the State. Two years after he went to Hot Springs, where for six years he ran a paper called the Daily News. There he lost his wife and soon after closed out his interests and went to Kansas thence he returned to Cass county, where he has made some grand strides forward, not only as a newspaper man but as a local politician. His mode of handling the tariff question has attracted attention, and at the late State Convention, at which he was a delegate, he was one of the committee selected to draft the platform, which was accepted without a change or objection. He is the present treasurer of the Illinois Republican Press Association, and is a leading member of the K. of P., Beardstown Lodge, No. 207. It is worthy of remark that he is a newspaper man who neither drinks, smokes nor chews.
He was first married to Libbie Peak, who died at Hot Springs, Arkansas. He was married a second time May 20, 1890, to Miss Annie Jockisch, a well known young lady of Beardstown, who was reared and educated in this city, and is especially skilled in music. Her father is William Jockisch, a retired farmer and one of the directors of the Fourth Nation Bank. Beardstown society would not be complete without them. ["Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois" - 1892; pg.271-272]
ANGIER, Franklin L.
Franklin L. Angier, chief clerk of the Locomotive and Car Department of the St. Louis Division of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, was born in Vermont at Waterbury, where he was reared until twelve years of age. He was the son of Aaron Angier of New Hampshire. His father was American of French ancestry. Aaron was a Baptist clergyman and married in Vermont, Miss Eliza Luther. She came of good family of Scotch descent. After marrying, Rev. Mr. Angier continued his work in the church of his faith until 1850, when he moved to New York State, and after four years moved to Illinois in 1854. He died a few months after his arrival in this State, in Bureau county, while yet in active work, being then only forty-seven. He was a hard-working logical preacher, fluent talker and a worthy citizen. His wife survived him until 1863, and then died at the age of fifty-four. They had ten children.
When Franklin Angier was twelve they removed to Elbridge, New York, and here he was educated until he was sixteen, when the family removed to Illinois, where he has since resided. Except three years in the army, he has been engaged in clerical work. He enlisted from Geneva, Illinois, in September, 1861, in Company B, Fifty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Captain E.A. Bowen and Colonel Wilson in command. The latter named official did not retain his command very long, but was succeeded by Colonel T.W. Sweeny. The regiment was in the Fifteenth Army Corps of the Army of the Tennessee. They fought their first battles at Fort Donelson, Shiloh and siege of Corinth and battle of Corinth under General Rosecrans, and in October, 1863, Mr. Angier was discharged, and in May, 1864, re-enlisted and joined Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, remaining until expiration of service, October 28, 1864. They were garrisoned at Cairo, Illinois. He served, in the capacity of First Lieutenant all the time he was in the One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Regiment.
After coming to this State Mr. Angier lived in Bureau county for a short time, and was married there to Adaline Smith, born in Rochester, New York, in 1838, but was reared in Illinois, where her parents had moved when she was young. Her father, Alonzo Smith, was a farmer and died in Bureau county in 1865, when in middle life. His wife is still living and resides with her daughter Mrs. Angier. She is eighty-four. She has been a worthy member of the Baptist Church for years. Mr. and Mrs. Angier are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Angier is a Republican in politics, and a Master Mason, being a member of Cass Lodge, No. 23, and Clarke Chapter, No. 29, of Beardstown. He has been Master and is now Secretary of the lodge. Is a member of McLane Post, No. 97, Grand Army of the Republic.
They have seven children: Mary, wife of C.E. Sperry, a painter of Aurora, Illinois; Frank is a clerk under his father and married Maude Foster; Florence is at home; Carl and Earl (twins), and Charles and Dana are all four at home. They all have received the advantage of a good education and are refined, intelligent young people. ["Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois" - 1892; pg. 258-259]
ARENZ, Judge John A.
Judge John A. Arenz, now retired from active live and living at his pleasant home on the corner of Sixth and State Streets, was born on the river Thine, near Cologne, in 1810, October 28. He is the only member of the family that came to this country now living. His parents lived near Cologne, Germany, and the father, Francis, died there when past ninety years of age; he was a prominent and successful man and was an officer in the arm of his country, and received a pension for some years before his death. His wife lived to be an old lady over seventy-five years old.
Mr. Arenz came to this country in 1835, on a sailing vessel from Bremen. He landed in Baltimore city and another brother followed Mr. Arenz to this country, and he died in this State some twelve years ago, leaving a family. Mr. Arenz had been carefully educated in civil engineering and other branches; was one of the corps of men that measured the State of Prussia. He was the principal of a public school, and was given a license to practice as an attorney at law. He was admitted to the bar about the time he was elected County Judge. Mr. Arenz had followed his brother Francis to this country, he having come some tine before, being the first member of the family that left the old world for the new. Our subject came to this county in 1835, and the State was still unsettled in great part. His brother's was the only frame house for miles around and wild game of every kind abounded. There were no railroads and but few wagon roads. The people were kind and good hearted. Mr. Arenz had come to the State from Baltimore, crossing the mountains to Wheeling, West Virginia, coming down the Ohio river to St. Louis on a boat. It took fourteen days to make the trip, the boat often sticking on sand bars. After landing in St. Louis he came to Cass county, and after some time he and his brother Francis laid out the town of Arenzville in the southern part of Cass county. There they established a saw mill, gristmill and general store, and ran it for some time successfully. Later Francis died and Mr. Arenz came to Beardstown and has since made it his home. Francis died in Jacksonville, in 1856, in the prime of life, and was considered one of the foremost men of the State. He was one of the State Board of Agriculture and was a Director of the same. He also organized the local board of Cass county, which has continued ever since. The State Board pass commendable resolutions on the death of Mr. Francis Arenz, for his earnest, hard work.
Mr. John Arenz became prominent as soon as he came to the county and was soon elected Justice of the Peace, and has held other local offices. He was elected to the office of Probate Judge, being the second elected in the county. He held the office for many years. He was elected first Mayor of Beardstown, in 1850, and has filled the office twice, subsequently. He has been city Alderman and Treasurer, and served for many years. He has been an admirer of the principles of his party, Republican. He was a Whig until the dissolution of that party and he then ardently espoused the cause of the new party from the time of its organization. He has always been regarded as a representative man. He was married, in Beardstown, to Mary Miller, of Kentucky, and she died at her home in this city in 1886, aged seventy years. She was the daughter of Captain William Miller, of Kentucky, a soldier in the Black Hawk war, having served as Captain of a company from Jacksonville, Illinois, where he was a pioneer, but later he came to Beardstown, where he died at an advanced age. He was a prominent man. Judge Arenz and wife had three children; Francis W. died when young; Maria L., wife of Philip Kuhl, a merchant of this city, who have two children; and Anna, wife of Omer S. Spring, of Peoria, Illinois, a wholesale grocer and confectioner; they have one daughter, Mary L. ["Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois" - 1892; pg. 236-237]
JUDGE ARENZ - ONE OF CITY'S FIRST BOOSTERS
Judge John A. Arenz, the first mayor Beardstown, and brother of Francis Arenz who was the close friend of Thomas Beard, was born October 28, 1810, in Blankenburg, Province of the Rhine, Prussia. After having received a good school education, he was sent to an institute where he received instructions in languages, drawing, engineering, surveying and music. Then he was employed for a year in a corps of surveyors working for the government. He then entered a seminary at Kruhl, near Cologne, where he studied for two years. After having passed his examination, he received an appointment as teacher, and after serving in that capacity one year, he was promoted to the office of principal with three assistants. He held that position until 1835 when he resigned and came to the United States, the solicitation of his brother, Francis Arenz, who was already located at Beardstown. He came on a sailing vessel from Bremen in 1835. He landed at Baltimore, crossed the mountains to Wheeling, West Virginia, and came down the Ohio river to St. Louis on a boat. It took fourteen days to make the trip, the boat often sticking on sand bars. After landing in St. Louis he came to Cass county. For the purpose of perfecting himself in the English language and acquiring a knowledge of the mercantile business, he entered a store at Springfield where he remained until 1838.
He and his brother, Francis, laid out the town of Arenzville in the southern part of Cass county. There they established a saw mill, gristmill and general store, and ran it successfully for some time. In 1844 he became editor of a campaign paper published at Springfield, advocating the election of Henry Clay for the presidency. The paper was published in the German language and was called "Illinois Adler Und Democratischer Whig." It was edited by Arenz, and published by I.F. Ruhe, Jr., in the summer and fall of 1844.
Arenz had been engaged in various business enterprises and held many different offices. His first commission as Justice of the Peace was dated August 21, 1843. His first commission as Notary Public was dated May 1, 1850, which office he held until his death.
He was the first mayor in Beardstown in 1850, and was twice elected to the office of county judge. He was admitted to the bar, March 13, 1865, and also holds a diploma from the German National Society for trade and industry, dated February 22, 1850 at Leipzig.
He never followed the practice of law before the courts; but he had settled up more estates, and of more value, than any man in Cass county during his life time. In the memorable county seat contest, in 1867, between Beardstown and Virginia, he was the Justice chosen by Beardstown, and selected by the other two justices as presiding officer. The citizens of Beardstown were so well satisfied with his services, that when the decision had been made, they serenaded him.
In 1849 he married Miss Mary L. Miller, daughter of Capt. William Miller of Kentucky, a soldier in the Black Hawk war. He served as captain of a company from Jacksonville where he was a pioneer, but later he came to Beardstown where he died at an advanced age.
Judge Arenz and wife had three children: Francis W., who died when young; Marie L., wife of Philip Kuhl of this city; and Anna, wife of Omer S. Spring of Peoria. [The Illinoian Star - Tuesday, July 23, 1929]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails