MRS. KATHERINE SCHNELL-KAUHLE
Mrs. Katherine Schnell-Kaule, who resides at 401 E. 2nd street, will be 94 years old on Christmas day, December 25, 1929, and has resided in the same home at 401 E. 2nd St., for the past fifty-five years, the home having been built by her husband that many years ago. She was born in Hessen Darmstadt, Germany on December 25th and came to America at the age of seventeen years, coming straight to Beardstown, arriving here on July 1st, 1853. On August the 10th, 1853 she was united in marriage to Mr. Frederick S. Kaule, who was at that time conducting a harness shop on State Street between Main and Second. They resided in an apartment adjoining the shop as their first residence. Mr. Kaule later moved his shop to a location at 2nd and Monroe streets.
Mrs. Kaule is the mother of four children, one, Louis Alfred, dying in infancy and Otto passing away a few years ago. The two children still living are Mrs. John Warnke, with whom Mrs. Kaule makes her home and Francis Kaule of Jacksonville. She spends most of her time in a chair as she fell during the past winter, injuring her back, but her mind seems quite alert and she enjoyed discussing the old time incidents, many of which she could recall.
Mrs. Kaule was the only one of her family who came from Germany on the ship, which left Germany on May 8th, 1853, except a cousin who did not come on to Beardstown. The parents of the late Mrs. Fred Schweer were traveling companions of Mrs. Kaule who also came to this city at that time. The crossing on the ship covered almost two months and while the time was long she states that they had good times after recovering from sea-sickness. Each person or family was provided with a kettle with which to prepare his food and the passengers had provided enough supplies for this purpose before leaving Germany. The kettles were hung over fire places along the sides of the vessel, provided for the travelers where they cooked their food. Mrs. Kaule said that she did not stop in New York City because they were under the impression that Beardstown was a much larger city with greater opportunities, so they came on, by way of Chicago, which was then a small place. They took a boat at LaSalle and finished the journey to Beardstown by water, arriving here July 1st.
The letter which she sent back to inform her mother of her arrival cost 40 cents to mail.
[Source: "The Illinoian Star" - Tuesday, July 23, 1929]
MRS. MARY HANSMEYER
Mrs. Mary Hansmeyer, commonly known as "Grandma" Hansmeyer and who resides at 1009 Jefferson street will be 93 years old on November 23rd, and has resided in her present home on Jefferson street for the past 40 years.
Mrs. Hansmeyer was born in Germany, November 23, 1836 and came to America at the age of 17 years, coming directly to Cass county settling near Bluff Springs. She was united in marriage to Bernard Hierman. There were nine sons, five of whom have died. After the death of her husband, 52 years ago, Mrs. Hansmeyer moved to Beardstown to the home which she now occupies and in which she lived all of these years. Later she was united in marriage to Fred Hansmeyer, who passed away some 25 years ago.
Mrs. Hansmeyer, while bent with the weight of years is still able to perform the simple duties of her home, her one great regret being that she is unable to attend the services at the church she loves so well, having been a Methodist for many, many years. [Source: "The Illinoian Star" - Tuesday, July 23, 1929]
MRS. J.D. DOWLER
55 YEARS IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Mrs. Johanna G. Dowler, for 55 years an instructor in the Beardstown School system, was a resident of Beardstown from 1852 when she came to this city with Mr. J.S. Barwick from Jacksonville. She died in her home in this city at the age of 93 years on March 18, 1927. Mrs. Dowler was born in Frostburg, Md., in 1834 and her maiden name was Wall. In the early forties her family moved to Danville and from there to Quincy. She came to Beardstown with Prof. J. S. Barwick and began her long teaching career in 1852.
Her fifty-five years of service to the Beardstown school system terminated in 1907 under the superintendency of J.C. Hutton, having served in local schools under the twenty superintendents.
She began her teaching in the "old Brick Building" at the location of the Central school now and during her fifty-five years of teaching, had under her three generations of Beardstown folks.
Funeral services were held for her on March 21, 1927 in the local Methodist church with Rev. C.R. Booth in charge.
She resided on Fifth between Jefferson and Monroe streets, and the large age-old Elm tree in front of the house, preserved through the efforts of her loyal friend and former pupil, Mrs. L.W. Goodell, has for years been known as the "Dowler Elm". ["The Illinoian Star" - Tuesday, July 23, 1929]
JOHN R. SHAW
OLDEST NATIVE SON NOW LIVING
J.R. Shaw, of 1001 State street, who is nearing his 83rd birthday, is the oldest resident of this city who was born and raised in Beardstown and who has resided in this vicinity all of his lifetime.
Mr. Shaw is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Shaw and was born in November the 8th, 1846, in a house on Second street. His parents came from Springfield to this city, but were originally located in Newton, Ohio.
Mr. Shaw's father came to this city as a distiller and worked at that trade here for some time before buying the farm now known as the Frank Lebkuecher farm in Sangamon Valley.
J.R. Shaw was a farmer by trade having built the two story frame house located south of this city and across from the present yard office of the C.B. & Q. At this place, beore railroads came to this town, Mr. Shaw conducted a truck farm, raising water melons, nutmeg and the like. This he brought to town, then confined to Main street.
Mr. Shaw went to school in the "Old Brick school," four and one-half miles out on the Chandlerville road and hsi first teacher was Richard Dutch. Among the many interesting stories told by Mr. Shaw was the incident in which his father assisted in drafting soldiers for the Civil War. Names were drawn from a hat to find who had to go. In those days those drafted could hire a substitute, the general price being $1.000 for a three-year enlistment. Among the other stories brought out by the active memory of Mr. Shaw was the business occasioned here because of the advantageous location along the banks of the river.
All goods from up the river was boated to this city and hauled to such towns as Jacksonville and Virginia. In this connection Mr. Shaw also told of a plank road from this town nearly to Bluff Springs. A charge of $.10 was made for use of the road.
Mr. Shaw's father attended the Duff Armstrong trial in the local city hall and Mr. Shaw himself was intimately acquainted with the foreman of the jury, Milton Logan. He remembered seeing Lincoln on many occasions and related one incident in particular in which he and his father attended a rally in Springfield at which Lincoln was the principal speaker. "We left the day before the rally in a large spring wagon," siad Mr. Shaw, "and arrived outside the city limits where we camped all night. It was the biggest rally I ever saw." [Source: "The Illinoian Star" - Tuesday, July 23, 1929]
SOME ILLINOIS PIONEER SETTLERS.
It is pleasant to know that we yet have with us a goodly number of the pioneers who came into the State following closely upon the trail of the departing Indians. In Cass county, Mr. Wm. Stevenson observed the ninety-fifth anniversary of his birth, at his farm home near Little Indian creek, on the third of December, with a reunion of his family down to the fourth generation. He was born in Kentucky, December 3, 1813, and in 1829 came to Illinois whose political birth was the same date and month of his own, but five years later. At that time when but sixteen years old he drove with little help, behind his father's wagons, a flock of 300 sheep from his native home in Kentucky to Morgan county, Illinois, and has ever since resided on the farm (now in Cass county) he assisted his father to clear and put in cultivation. [Source: |Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society", Volume 1, No. 4, January 1909; By Illinois State Historical Society]
Illinois' Oldest Farm Bureau Member Lives in Richmond Precinct, Cass County
Thomas Watkins will be 96 years old August 23, 1923. So far as is known, Mr. Watkins is the oldest member of the Farm Bureau in Illinois. In Ohio, there is a farm bureau member who is 102 years old.
Mr. Watkins was born in Green county, Kentucky and came to Illinois when about three years old. One event which Mr. Watkins talks of is the falling stars in 1832. He has lived in Richmond Precinct in Cass county seventy years and has voted in 76 general elections.
When Mr. Watkins signed up for the Farm Bureau, he stated that it probably would not do him a great deal of good personally, but that he was glad to help out in something which would benefit others. [Source: "The Republican Gazette", 13 Jul 1923]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails