Welcome to Illinois Genealogy Trails!
Champaign County, Illinois


William F. Carson.
A prominent and successful representative of real estate and loan business in western Oklahoma is Mr. Carson, who maintains his residence at Beaver, judicial center of the county of the same name, where he is in charge of the office and business of the Renfrew Investment Company, the headquarters of which are in the City of Woodward. On other pages of this work is given a review of the career of the president of this important company, Rufus O. Renfrew, and to that article reference may be made for further information concerning the company and its extensive operations.
William Frank Carson, who has been a resident of Oklahoma since 1900, was born on his father's farm in Champaign County, Illinois, on the 23d of June, 1874, and is a son of William G. and Martha Jane (Bales) Carson. His father was born in Vermilion County, Indiana, in which state he was reared and educated and when, in 1855, he removed to Illinois and became one of the pioneer settlers of Champaign County, where he settled on a preemption claim which he obtained from the Government. His entire active career, marked by consecutive industry and unpretentious worth of character, was one of close identification with the great and fundamental industry of agriculture, and through his well-directed endeavors he achieved independence and definite prosperity. He was a staunch democrat of the old school and though he was ever loyal and public-spirited as a citizen he never desired or held political office. Both he and his wife early became zealous members of the Universalist Church, and he exemplified his faith in his daily life, his death having occurred in the City of Champaign, Illinois, on the 10th of November, 1906, after he had been a resident of Champaign County for a full half century.
On the 22d of February, 1854, was solemnized the marriage of William G. Carson to Miss Martha Jane Bales, who likewise was born in Vermilion County, Indiana, the date of her nativity having been August 27, 1834, his birth having occurred in that county on the 29th of June, 1829,—dates that clearly denote that the respective families were founded in that section of the Hoosier State in the early pioneer days. Mrs. Carson, who still retains her home at Champaign, Illinois, is a daughter of Caleb and Emily (Spangler) Bales, natives of Virginia, and of her ten children—two sons and eight daughters—four daughters died in infancy,—Maria, Ella, Elizabeth and Laura. Emily Josephine, who was born December 20, 1858, became, in 1881, the wife of Eugene A. Ford, and they have four children,—Amos Carson, William Van Pelt, Martha Belle, and Eugene Bartholomew. Caleb W., who was born December 10, 1860, was reared and educated in Champaign County, Illinois, and in his native state he continued his residence until July 5, 1885, when he removed to Ashland, Kansas, where he accumulated a very large estate and where he was the largest individual taxpayer in Clark County at the time of his death, which occurred August 13, 1915. He served eight years as postmaster at Ashland, during both administrations of President Cleveland, and was a leader in the ranks of the democratic party in that section of the Sunflower State. He attained to the thirty-second degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite.of the Masonic fraternity, besides being affiliated with the. Mystic Shrine. In March, 1886, he wedded Miss Martha Congeleton, who survives him, as do also their four sons and one daughter,—Paul C., William G., Frank Lee, Caleb W., Jr., and Hazel Ellene. Ellen A. Carson was born August 11, 1864, was united in marriage on the 27th of February, 1890, to Hon. John I. Lee. Their only child, Irving Allen, died in infancy. Mr. Lee, who died at Cordell, Washita County, Oklahoma, on the 25th of December, 1914, was editor and publisher of the Clark County Clipper,, at Ashland, Kansas, from 1885 to 1890, and thereafter served until 1892 as clerk of the District Court of that county. From 1894 to 1898 he was register of the United States Land Office at Dodge City, Kansas, and in 1901 he came to Oklahoma Territory and engaged in the lumber and coal business at Cordell, where he passed the residue of his life. He was influential in democratic political activities in Kansas and likewise after his removal to Oklahoma. Mary Marc Carson was born August 9, 1867, and on the 20th of August, 1886, she became the wife of Dr. David P. Sims, their only child being a son, Carson, and the family home being maintained at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Miss Luvilla B. Carson, who was born January 22, 1870, remains with her widowed mother.
William Frank Carson, the second son and youngest child in the above mentioned family, passed the period of his childhood and early youth upon the homestead farm which was the place of his birth, and after duly availing himself of the advantages of the public schools of Champaign County, Illinois, he pursued a higher course in what is now the great Valparaiso University, at Valparaiso, Indiana. He continued to be associated with the work and the management of his father's farm until 1899, when he removed to Ashland, Kansas, where he served as deputy clerk of Clark County. In that city he was thereafter associated with his only brother in the mercantile business for a period of two years, and upon coming to Oklahoma, in 1900, he established his home at Curtis, Woodward County, where he continued in the same line of enterprise four years. He had entered claim to a tract of Government land in that county and in 1904 he perfected his title to the property. In 1910-11 Mr. Carson held a clerical position in a mercantile establishment in the City of Woodward, and in 1912 he there assumed the position of bookkeeper in the head office of the Renfrew investment Company. In October of the same year he was assigned to the management of the company's office at Beaver, where he has since continued the alert and efficient incumbent of this position, in which he has done much to extend the business controlled from this office.
Mr. Carson is found aligned as a staunch supporter of the cause of the democratic party, is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and both he and his wife are specially zealous and valued members of the Presbyterian Church at Beaver, in the Sunday School of which he has served three years as superintendent. It is worthy of incidental note that this is the oldest exclusively Presbyterian Church in the state, its organization having been effected in 1886, when Beaver County was still a part of the region commonly designated as No Man's Land,—prior to the creation of Oklahoma Territory. Mr. Carson is secretary of the Beaver Gospel Team, and also secretary of the Beaver County Sunday School Association.
At Reinbeek, Grundy County, Iowa, on the 14th of April, 1901, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Carson to Miss Grace B. Klein, daughter of Herman E. and Katherine (Kline) Klein, both natives of Iowa, where their respective parents settled in the early pioneer days. Mrs. Carson was born on her father's homestead farm in Grundy County, Iowa, on the 4th of September, 1876, and in her youth she received excellent educational advantages, through the medium of which she prepared herself for service in the pedagogic profession. For eight years prior to her marriage she was a successful and popular teacher in the schools of her native state and in Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Carson have five children, whose names and respective dates of birth are here noted: Francis Klein, March 26, 1902; Ellen Belva, June 1, 1905; Ernest Lee, September 1, 1906; Willis Spangler, July 26, 1910; and Luvilla Grace, July 22, 1912.
[Source: “A Standard History of Oklahoma” Volume V; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]

Amos Jackson Dickson
The press is undoubtedly one of the leading educators and most influential potencies in molding and directing public opinion in the modern world, and it is more or less useful according as it is wisely and lucidly, forcibly and honestly conducted or otherwise. Among the agencies in the expression of public though and the enforcement of a proper public desire in the western part of the state, in the realm of journalism, is the Glenwood Post, one of the best and most influential newspapers on the Western slope, edited and owned by Amos t J. Dickson, who purchased it in January, 1898, of C.L. Bennett, and since that time has greatly enlarged its popularity and circulation, increased its power in the community and placed its affairs on a sound financial basis. Mr. Dickson hails from Champaign county, Illinois, where he was born on May 6, 1861. His parents are Andrew S. and Henrietta (Boggs) Dickson, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Ohio. They located at an early day in Illinois, where the father was a prosperous farmer until 1869, when the family moved to Kansas and after a residence of twenty years in the Sunflower state came to Colorado and located at Colorado Springs, moving from there to Glenwood Springs in 1902. The father was a soldier in the Civil war and bore his full share of the burdens of the momentous conflict, losing a leg at the battle of Kenesaw Mountains, Georgia, and spending a year of awful privation and distress in Andersonville prison. He was a member of Company H, One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Illinois infantry, a regiment that did good service on many a hard-fought field and won distinction throughout its term of service. There were four children born in the family, all of whom are living, Amos J., at Glenwood Springs; Oscar F., at Calhan, Colorado; Sarah J., wife of Charles D. Foster, at Ness City, Kansas, and William S., at El Paso, Texas. The father supports the Republican party in political affairs, and belongs to the order of Odd Fellows. Both parents are Methodists. Their son Amos was educated in the public schools and reared on the farm, remaining at home until he reached the age of twenty years. He then began to earn money with which to secure a more advanced education, and afterward attended the State University of Kansas for two years. Next he devoted several years to teaching school in that state, and in 1886 opened a book and stationery store at Ness City, Kansas, which he conducted successfully for one year. At the end of that time he was appointed deputy clerk of the district court of Ness county and served in that position two years. After coming to Colorado he located a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres near Arlington, in the eastern part of the state. Later he abandoned this and moved to Colorado Springs, and soon afterward, in 1889, settled at Glenwood Springs. Here he soon became deputy clerk of Garfield county, and after holding the position five years started a real-estate and insurance business in 1895, which he continued until January, 1898, when he bought the Glenwood Post, of which he has since been the proprietor and editor. The business of the paper seems to have been badly managed before this and the enterprise was run down to a low state of prosperity and influence. He began at once to build it up vigorously, and has continued his efforts in this direction with such energy and capacity that he has made the paper one of the most prosperous, potential and admired in the western portion of the state. The plant is equipped with fine appliances sufficient to meet all the requirements of up-to-date journalism within the scope of this paper and of a first-class job printing business in all its departments. Mr. Dickson is an active and earnest advocate of every form of judicious public improvement, and always willing to do his part in the promotion of every good enterprise for the advancement of the interests of the community. He is one of the five irrigation division engineers of the state, the territory in which he works being the whole northwestern part of the state, having under his supervision fifteen water districts, each in charge of a water commissioner. In fraternal life he is a prominent Odd Fellow, standing at the head of the order in this state, having served in 1904 as grand master of the jurisdiction of Colorado and now grand representative to the sovereign grand lodge. In politics he is a firm and faithful supporter of the principles of the Republican party. In the councils of his party he has a place of commanding influence and is an attendant at all its party conventions, county and state. On March 29, 1891, he was married to Miss Imelda J. Phillippi, a native of Pennsylvania, daughter of Louis N. and Mary (Weaver) Phillippi, Pennsylvanians by nativity who settled in Illinois soon after their marriage and later moved to Kansas. The father is a merchant and farmer, a staunch Republican and a loyal and earnest Freemason. The parents are living at Milan in Sumner county, Kansas. Both are Methodists. They have four children, John, Mrs. Dickson, Edgar and Bert. In the Dickson household two bright and interesting children have been born, Eldie Ray and Genevieve Lucile.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

John C. Freeman
John C. Freeman has gained distinctive precedence as a citizen and business man at Butte, where he has maintained his home and business headquarters since 1892. He is financial secretary of a number of different fraternal organizations, has money invested in various business projects at Butte and has extensive mining interests in the close vicinity of this city. Mr. Freeman has ever manifested a deep and sincere interest in community affairs and his loyalty and public spirit in all matters affecting progress and improvement are of the most insistent order.
A native of Illinois, John C. Freeman was born at Sidney, Champaign county, on the 24th of March, 1865. He is a son of William Freeman, who was born in Fayette county, Ohio, in November. 1831, and who was summoned to the life eternal at Butte, December 20, 1906. During the strenuous period of the Civil war William Freeman was engaged in railroad work and after the close of hostilities was justice of the peace at Sidney, Illinois, for a number of terms. He came to Montana, settling in Anaconda, in 1890, and for the ensuing eight years was engaged in the general merchandise business in that place. He came to Butte in 1898 and from that time until 1904 was engaged in the retail bakery and grocery business with his son, John C. For two years prior to his demise he lived in virtual retirement. William Freeman married Hannah Clark in 1859 and they became the parents of three children, of whom John C. was the third in line of birth. Mrs. Freeman was born and reared in Ohio and she passed to the life eternal in 1865, at which time John C. of this review was an infant of but a few weeks of age.
John C. Freeman received a good common-school education and at the age of eighteen years he became a school teacher. He was engaged in the pedagogic profession for two years and at the expiration of that time decided to try his fortunes in the west. In the early spring of 1886 he went to Greely county, Kansas, where he pre-empted a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of land. In the following spring he homesteaded another quarter section of land and by May, 1888, had paid for both tracts. On the latter date he came to Montana, locating in Anaconda, where he was identified with an uncle in the dairy business for the ensuing two years, at the expiration of which he entered the employ of the Carroll Lumber Company, remaining with that concern until January, 1892. After resigning his position with the Carroll Lumber Company of Anaconda, Mr. Freeman came to Butte, where for a time he was with the Western Iron Works. Subsequently he became a clerk in Edward Condon's grocery store in south Butte and in 1896 began to work in Gunderson Brothers' general store at Meaderville, Montana. In 1897 Mr. Freeman rented the Johnson Hotel, which he conducted with fair success for one year, at the end of which he purchased a general grocery and bakery store, located at 701 Utah avenue, Butte. He disposed of the latter business in 1902 and then became district deputy for the Modern Woodmen of America. He retained the latter position until January 1, 1905. He was made financial secretary for the Modern Woodmen of America at organization of South Butte Camp in 1899, for the Fraternal Union of America in 1898, the Modern Maccabees in 1903, the Fraternal Brotherhood in 1905, and the Royal Court in 1906. He continued as secretary of different ones of above organizations until 191O and at the present time, in 1912, is financial secretary of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Modern Maccabees and the Fraternal Brotherhood. He has been trustee for the Royal Order of Moose and financial secretary for the Ancient Order United Workmen from 1892 to 1908, of the select Knights and Ladies from 1896 to 1903, of the Order of Pendo from 1896 to 1907 and of Chosen Friends from 1892 to 1896.
Mr. Freeman is financially interested in the Butte Typewriter Exchange and he was the organizer of the Butte Krisp Company, of which he is part owner, in 1911. He is part owner of the Santa Anita mine, located near Radersburg, Montana; holds stock in the Gold Bar Mining Company, of Granite county; and is secretary of the Valley View Mining Company of Madison county. In politics he is an uncompromising Republican and he has been a delegate to a number of important Republican conventions. He has been a notary public for the past nine years.
In January, 1897, Mr. Freeman married Miss Esther Kerr, who was born in Canada in April, 1864, and who was a daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Armstrong) Kerr. Mrs. Freeman was summoned to the life eternal December 31, 1899, and is survived by twins,—Willie C. and Mabel B., whose birth occurred October 9, 1898. The Freeman home is at 415 South Idaho street, Butte.

[Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]

Residence,196 North Chester avenue,Pasadena; office, 619-21 Laughlin building, Los Angeles. Born January 29, 1858, in Champaign, Ill., son of Rev. Lester Janes and Sarah Hall (Smith) Janes. Married April 5, 1882, to Mrs. Hattie Wilkins. Received his early education in the schools of his native place, and graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Ill., A. B., 1878; M. A., 1881. Studied law in Quincy, Ill., and was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of that state, June 18, 1880; engaged in practice in Quincy with brother, George M. Janes, until 1885, when he moved to Norton county, Kan.; local attorney for Missouri Pacific Railway in Kansas, for several years; later moved to Missouri, where he remained until 1905, when he located in Los Angeles. Served as delegate to Republican State Conventions in Missouri four times. Member Masonic fraternity, and Quincy Illinois Society (Los Angeles). Republican.
[History of the bench and bar of southern California
By Willoughby Rodman, 1909 -Sub. by K.T.]

Harold H. Eads
EADS, Harold H, Minneapolis, Res 315 W 15 st, office 811 N Y Life bldg. Architect. Born August 18, 1872 in Champaign Ill, son of Anderson and Mary L (Johnson) Eads. Married 1900 to Mildred A Buss. Educated in public schools Minneapolis and U of M 1882. First employed in architect's offices in Minneapolis and St Paul; formed partnership as Downs & Eads 1903 which continues to date. Member Masonic fraternity.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]

David L. Houston
Prominent among those who may rightly be termed pioneers of Neosho county is the Houston family which is worthily represented by the subject of this personal sketch. He is a son of James Houston, the late esteemed founder of the family in this western mecca of civilization, and was born July 11, 1851 in Rockbridge county, Virginia, where his ancestors for several generations were born, lived and died. James Houston was born in 1804, and was a son of Thomas Houston, who passed his life in the Old Dominion state as a planter and there reared a family of four sons and a daughter. The former were John, who died in Indiana; James, our subject's father; Samuel, who died at Larned, Kansas; William, who is supposed to have enlisted for the Mexican war, but has not since been heard from; and Mrs. Harvey, of southern Illinois. James Houston was educated limitedly in the schools popular in his day, and to his station, was married in his native state to Margaret Leech, who survives at the age of eighty-six years, and was engaged in the cultivation of the soil there till the year 1859 when he migrated to Champaign county, Illinois, and there remained till his departure for the prairies of Kansas in the spring of 1866. On the 5th of May of that year he crossed the Neosho river just above Chanute and immediately selected for his claim the farm which his son, our subject now resides on. For a time he remained in undisturbed and peaceable possession of his land, but, as it was one of the "odd sections" within the limits of the grant to the railroad he eventually became involved, with hundreds of others, in a legal contest which dragged along for several years and was finally decided in favor of the settler. The uncertainty of the outcome of the lawsuit did not seem to disconcert or discourage him for Father Houston continued the improvement and domestic development of his farm, preparing it for his comfortable residence, which it remained during his declining years. He lived a quiet Christian life, revered by his friends and at his death, mourned by all.  His marriage occurred in 1836 and his death in September, 1890. His children were Daniel, Thomas, Samuel and John, all deceased; Eliza J., wife of S. S. Dickinson, of Larned, Kansas, and David L., our subject.
Mr. Houston of this review, was twelve years of age when he came to Neosho county. The education he obtained was of a country school character and the years of his youth and manhood were passed in the atmosphere and under the influence of the homestead on the Neosho. Farming and stock raising has received all his attention and the old home of two hundred fifteen acres, a part of which was his original entry, and an eighty acre tract in the proved oil belt of the river bottom constitutes the realty holdings which have resulted from his life of successful effort.
March 9, 1881, D. L. Houston married Allie E. Cole, a sister of Lemuel H. Cole, reference to whom is made in this volume. The children of this union are Ethel E. and Hazel. The politics of the Houstons is double-distilled and concentrated Republicanism. It comes to our subject from both his paternal and maternal ancestry and nothing political short of the party which bears the genuine brand has any attraction for him. He has served his township as trustee and has contributed his liberal portion toward Republican success in Neosho county. Fraternally he is an Odd Fellow and he holds membership in the Ancient Order of United Workmen and in the Knights and Ladies of Security. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails