Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
EM ALVERSON, M. D., the popular and only physician of Stonington, has been successfully engaged in practice at this point for a period of about fourteen years. He numbers a great many friends and patrons in this community who hold him in high esteem.
He is a native of Schuyler County, Mo., where his birth occurred August 27, 1851. He is the eldest child of L. M. and Margaret (Gates) Alverson. Of their family of five sons and three daughters, only four still survive. M. D. is engaged in farming near Armstrong, Mo.; P. H. is also a farmer of Missouri; and Mary became the wife of William Roswell, an agriculturist of Missouri.
The father of the Doctor, L. M. Alverson, was born in Madison County, Ky., and was taken by his parents when quite young to Howard County, Mo., where he grew up on his father's farm. He remained at home until he was of age, being given a common-school education. After his marriage he removed to Schuyler County, Mo., where he engaged in farming for a few years, later returning to Howard County, where he still resides.
He is greatly interested in politics, using his influence in support of the Democratic party. His ancestors were from Scotland, while those of his wife were natives of England. She was also a native of Kentucky, and is still living.
The early years of Dr. Alverson were passed on his father's farm in Missouri, where he attended the common schools until nineteen years of age. He then engaged in teaching in the district schools for two years, after which he for a year pursued higher studies in the State Normal School [ed., now Missouri State University] at Kirksville, Mo. After teaching for three years longer in order to obtain sufficient means to pursue the study of medicine, the Doctor entered the
Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, from which institution he was graduated in 1879. He at once located in Stonington, and has continued in practice up to the present time, and as he is the only physician in the town, has the field all to himself.
On the 4th of October, 1881, Dr. Alverson wedded Miss Amelia Weiser, of Stonington. They have had four daughters, namely: Grace, Eva, Maud and Verna. The mother is a member of the German Reformed Church, and is a lady who is universally beloved.
Like his father before him, the Doctor supports the Democratic party, and is an active worker in the ranks. For a number of years he has been a member of the Democratic Central Committee, representing Stonington Township. For two terms he served as Supervisor of the township, and has been City Clerk for about five years.
He is interested in educational matters, as he has always been from early years, and has acted as School Director. Fraternally, he is associated with the Odd Fellows, belonging to Lodge No. 695, of Stonington. He is examining physician, and a member of Camp No. 334, M. W. A. [ed., probably the United Mine Workers of America], of the same place.
He is a Notary Public, and also writes up fire insurance. During his residence here the Doctor has made many friends, and is very popular. He is a self-made man, having acquired his medical education and success in professional life by earnest endeavor and perseverance.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails