genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
JOSEPH N. EMERSON, who is engaged in general farming and stock-raising on his well-equipped and ably-conducted farm, located on section 32, Stonington Township, is a native of this county, having been born March 4, 1856, in the same township where he still makes his home. He is a son of Richard N. and Ann E. (Keiser) Emerson, whose sketch may be found in another portion of this volume.

Our subject is the second child in a family of eleven, and passed his boyhood on his father's old homestead, which was his birthplace. He was only a youth of fifteen years when death deprived him of a father's care, and he therefore continued to live with his mother, rendering her dutiful assistance on the home farm, until he was twenty-eight years of age.

The marriage of Mr. Emerson and Miss Angie O'Brien, also a native of Stonington Township, was celebrated April 8, 1884. Two children have been born of their union, a son and a daughter, namely: Ila G. and Clarence W. Mr. and Mrs. Emerson are well received in the social circles of the neighborhood, where they are well known, having made their home here since their births. Mrs. Emerson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Like his father before him, our subject is a true-blue Republican. He has always been interested in promoting the cause of education, has served as School Director for several terms, and is now School Trustee of his district. His desirable farm comprises one hundred and sixty acres of fertile and well-cultivated land. It is well adapted for general farming and stock-raising, to which it is devoted. The greater portion of the farm represents our subject's own earnings and is the result of his years of industry. The place is located only two and a half miles southwest of Stonington, and is considered one of the best farms in the township. In his business enterprises Mr. Emerson has been abundantly blessed with success, and it is eminently fitting that such should be the case, for his transactions are marked with justice and fair dealing. He bears an enviable reputation in the county as a man of honor and strict observance of his word and contracts.

 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails