Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
DR. GEORGE FRINGER, who is engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in Pana, is one of the well-informed physicians of the county, holding an enviable reputation among his professional brethren. Thorough preparation and study in various colleges have well fitted him for his life work, and his deep researches have gained him a skill and ability that now win him a liberal patronage.
The Doctor was born in Carroll County, Md., March 24, 1834, and his parents, George and Susan (Null) Fringer, were natives of the same State. Their family numbered six sons and a daughter, as follows: Alice Ann, now the wife of Samuel Bowers, of Baltimore, Md.; George W., Nicholas, Michael M., Jacob, Worthington and Ephraim J. The father of this family was a miller by trade and followed that business near Taneytown, Md., where
he died in 1847, at the age of forty-three years. He was a member of the German Reformed Church, and his wife is a Lutheran in religious belief. She is still living, at the advanced age of eighty-four. The Fringer family is of German descent, and was founded in America by the paternal grandfather of our subject, who for many years resided in Maryland, and died at the age of eighty. He reared a family of four sons and two daughters. The maternal grandfather, Michael Null, was also a native of Germany, and died in Maryland when past the age of eighty years.
The Doctor was reared in the State of his nativity and acquired his literary education in its public schools and in the seminary of Taneytown. At the age of seventeen he started Westward and spent one year near Tiffin, Ohio, after which he returned to Maryland. A year later he removed to Indiana, and thence to Shelbyville, Ill, where he made his home from 1859 until 1866. His next place of residence was Tower Hill, where he continued to reside until 1889, since which time he has made his home in Pana.
At the age of twenty-eight, Dr. Fringer began the study of medicine in Shelbyville, where he was at that time engaged in the drug business. He afterward took a course of lectures in the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis, in 1863 and again in 1869.
In 1865, he was a student in Rush Medical College of Chicago, but four years later was graduated from the Missouri Medical College. In 1889, he received a diploma from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of St. Louis. He has ever been a close student of his profession and has done all in his power to perfect himself in the science.
On the 13th of February, 1862, near Gettysburg, Pa., Dr. Fringer wedded Miss Martha V. Cover, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Jones) Cover. Three children have blessed this union: William R., Mollie V., and Erfie S. The elder daughter is now the wife of John F. Cover. They reside in Toulon, Ill., and have one son, Gus D.
During the late war, the Doctor enlisted in the service as a member of the One Hundred and Fifteenth Illinois Infantry, and continued at the front until December, 1862, when he was discharged at Paducah, Ky., on account of physical disability.
He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, and are ranked among the prominent and influential citizens of this community. Besides his pleasant home in Pana he owns two hundred acres of improved land in Shelby County, which yields to him a good income. He is surgeon for the Illinois Central Railroad Company and for Penwell's Coal Mining Company [ed, probably Penwell-Kitchell Coal Mining Company] of Pana. In politics, he is a Democrat. He holds membership with the State and District Medical Societies, and is a member of Pana Lodge No. 226, A. F. & A. M., and the Ancient Order of United Workmen of Tower Hill.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails