|Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical
sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the
state, and of the Presidents of the United States. Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p244.
Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
H. T. GARDNER, a genial, popular and highly
esteemed gentleman, who follows general farming on section 16, Buckhart Township, is a native of Maury County, Tenn., born June 12, 1841. His father, Nathan Gardner, was born in the same
State in 1817, and his mother, who bore the maiden name of Frances Harris, was born in Virginia,
in 1818. Their marriage was celebrated in the State of his nativity, where they resided until 1841, which year
witnessed their emigration to Illinois.
They took up their residence in Fayette County, where they made their home until 1856, when they came to Christian
County, locating in Buckhart Township. Here Mr. Gardner carried on agricultural pursuits until his death, which
occurred on the 22d of January, 1889, at the age of seventy-two. His wife still survives him and is now living
The subject of this sketch is the third
in order of birth in a family of eleven children, of whom four sons and two daughters are now living. It was during
his infancy that his parents came to Illinois, so that he has no recollection of his native State as a place of
residence. He remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, and his boyhood days were quietly
passed midst play and work. He attended the district schools during the winter season, thus acquiring a good English
education, while his time in summer months was devoted to farm labor.
In August, 1864, Mr. Gardner led to the
marriage altar Miss Clarinda Doak, who died the same year. For his second wife he chose Miss Harriet Ward, a native
County, Ill., and by their union has been born
a family of three sons, William, Lewis and Frank, who arc still living with their parents and aid their father
in his farming duties. Since 1864, Mr. Gardner has resided upon the farm which is now his home. He first purchased
eighty acres and began its development, but as his financial resources have increased he has added to his landed
possessions from time to time, until he now owns two hundred acres of rich and fertile farming land. In connection
with its cultivation, he also raises some good stock, making a specialty of the breeding of Shorthorn
Mr. Gardner has several times been called
upon to serve in positions of public trust by his fellow townsmen, who have recognized his worth and ability. He
was Road Commissioner for the long period of fifteen years, and is now Trustee of the school funds. Socially, he
is connected with Edinburgh Lodge No. 647, A. F.
& A. M.; and religiously with the Free
Baptist Church. In politics he is an advocate of the Democracy. Pleasant and social in manner, he gains friends
wherever he goes and as a host of them in this community. He is one of the leading and influential citizens of
Buckhart Township, and it is with pleasure that we present to our readers this record of his life work.