FLETCHER HAINES, one of the prominent stock-raisers
and farmers of Bear Creek Township,
whose residence is on section 5, where he owns a valuable farm, has lived in the Prairie
State since 1829. He was born in Kentucky, near the village of Scotsville,
November 5, 1824, and was therefore only about five years of age when he arrived in Illinois.
The parents of the gentleman of whom we
write were Christopher and Myra (Gatewood) Haines.
The former was a native of Virginia, while the latter's birth
occurred in Georgia. The mother was a daughter
of Roland Gatewood, of that State, who married and removed to Kentucky, where he died in middle life.
Christopher Haines was for many years engaged
in farming in Barren County, Ky., where he was
one of the early settlers. In 1829, he removed with his family to Illinois,
settling near the Torrence Mill, in Sangamon County, where he was
one of the pioneers. There he continued to reside until his death, which occurred about 1851, at the age of fifty-three
years. His wife survived him until 1860, dying when about sixty years of age. They were members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and
were devoted Christians.
In the family of ten children who grew to
maturity, our subject is the fifth in order of birth. Only six of the family are yet living, the others being as
follows: John G., Samuel, Frances A., Benjamin K. and William F.
The boyhood of Fletcher Haines was mainly
passed in Sangamon County on his father's
farm, in the cultivation of which he assisted until attaining his majority. He received a good common-school education
for those days, and obtained a practical experience in carrying on a farm.
On the 14th of September, 1848, Mr. Haines
wedded Miss Lucinda Jane, daughter of James Hatler, of Kentucky. By that union were born two children: J. Will and Sarah M. The latter
died in infancy, and the mother passed away in 1851.
The son wedded Miss Susan Kessler, and is
a resident of Taylorville. Their family comprises
two children: Fred K. and Floy A. The present wife of Mr. Haines was formerly Miss Lydia Ann Anderson, and her
marriage with our subject was celebrated November 4, 1852. Her parents were Thomas and Nancy (Laughlin) Anderson,
By this union were born eight children,
the two elder of whom, Thomas T. and Edgar D., are now deceased. Millard C. was united in marriage with Miss Annie
M. Young, by whom he has three children: Dwight D., Glenn and Lyman. Nancy Elizabeth became the wife of S. W. Hayes,
and has two sons: Francis Clyde and Lester Calvin. Mary J. became the wife of Jacob Schnepp, and has four children:
Roy, Harry, Charlie and Fred. Sherman H. married Miss Henrietta Kauriff, and has one child living, Russell Fletcher.
Edith M., now Mrs. George Schnepp, is the mother of two sons: Ernest F. and Carroll D. One child who died in infancy,
unnamed, completes the family.
In February, 1855, Mr. Haines removed to
this county, becoming the owner of three hundred acres of land, a portion of his present farm, which at the present
time comprises over eight hundred acres. Though he has engaged in general agriculture, he has paid particular attention
to raising stock, cattle and horses, mules and hogs. When he first came to the county few fences had been placed
on the land, and there were no houses in sight of his home.
He is numbered among the early settlers
of this locality and is one of its representative men. During the late war he held the office of Justice of the
Peace, and has also serve in several local offices. He was in the Mexican War, and four of his brothers participated in the War of the Rebellion.
In politics, he espouses the measures of the Republican party, and is active in its success.