Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
DR. ANDREW F. HAMMER, of Taylorville, who is engaged in the practice of the medical profession, was born in the city which is now his home, December 7, 1849. His paternal grandfather, Frederick Hammer, was a native of Kentucky, and was a blacksmith and farmer by trade. Having emigrated to Illinois in an early day, he served in the Black Hawk War. Locating in Christian County, he here carried on agricultural pursuits for a number of years, and his death occurred on his farm two and a half miles from Taylorville, at the age of seventy-three years. He was laid to rest in the Stonington Cemetery. The maternal grandfather of our subject, who bore the name of Josiah Langley, was also a native of Kentucky, and he too was a farmer. He died at his home, three miles west of Taylorville, at the age of fifty-five years. The parents of our subject, Addison W. and Rebecca Adeline (Langley) Hammer, were both natives of Kentucky. The father was a blacksmith by trade, but after emigrating to Illinois became a tiller of the soil. He came to this State in 1827, locating with his parents in Sangamon County. In 1837 the family removed to the eastern part of Christian County, and lived near the present site of Moweaqua until 1847. In the mean time Mr. Hammer learned the blacksmith's trade from his father, and then removed to Taylorville, where, in connection with his brother Lucian, he carried on business along that line for some years. He now resides in Custer, Sangamon County, and is at present serving as Postmaster of that place. His wife, who was a member of the Christian Church, died in the fall of 1865, and in 1868 Mr. Hammer married Miss Millie Woods, who was also born and reared in Kentucky. He is a member of the Universalist Church, and is a highly-respected man.
The Doctor is one of a family of eight children, numbering
five sons and three daughters, of whom the daughters and two sons are now living. They are Andrew F.; Hugh L.;
Margaret, wife of Isaac B. Jordan, a lawyer of Kingman County, Kan.; Laura B., wife of T. H. Johnson, of Taylorville; and Lura M., wife of John S. Neal, of Springfield, Ill
We now take up the personal history of the Doctor, who was reared in this city and vicinity and acquired his early
education in the Taylorville public schools. He remained at home with his parents until twenty-seven years of age
and aided in the labors of the farm. With a desire to make the practice of medicine his life work, he entered upon
a medical course in the Hahnemann Medical College, of Chicago, from which institution he was graduated in 1877.
He then located in Custer, formerly known as Berry, and opening an office began practice. For fifteen years he
remained in that place, receiving a liberal share of the public patronage. He then determined to return to his
native city, and in 1892 took up his residence in Taylorville, where he has since made his home. On the 14th
of June, 1878, the Doctor was united in marriage with Mrs. Alice A. Allen, widow of John W. Allen, and a daughter
of John S. and Mary J. (Bell) Dickerson. Two children grace their union: Stella P. and Lena J. The Doctor and his
wife are members of the Christian Church, and, socially, he is connected with Mound Lodge No. 122, A. F. &
A. M., and Berry Lodge No. 26, I. O. O. F. He also belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails