genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
WILLIAM HENRY HARP, a well-known dentist of Morrisonville, has made his own way in the world from early years, and is self-educated. His success in life is due entirely to his industrious and persevering efforts and his ambition to rise in the world.

His birth occurred in Dayton, Ohio, February 23, 1869, and his early years were passed on a farm near Hillsboro, Ill.

Our subject's parents, Henry and Eliza (Kuhn) Harp, are natives of Ohio. The father was a son of Jacob Harp, also a native of the Buckeye State, and a merchant and successful trader. He died when over eighty years of age, at Dayton, Ohio. Mrs. Harp is a daughter of Benjamin Kuhn, of Ohio, who died at the age of sixty-five years. Henry Harp is a cooper by trade, but of late years has devoted himself to agricultural pursuits. In 1870, he came to the Prairie State and purchased a farm of ninety acres, east of Hillsboro, which has since been his home. He was a valiant soldier in the late war, enlisting in an Ohio regiment and serving for over three years in behalf of the Union cause. He and his wife are devoted members of the Methodist Church.

In a family of seven children, three sons and four daughters, the Doctor is the second in order of birth, the others being as follows: Frank, John, Amanda, Lydia, Alice and Emma. When fourteen years of age, Dr. Harp went to school at Irving, Ill., and remained there pursuing his studies for three years. He afterward attended school at Lincoln, after which he taught school for two terms in Logan County.

After taking the prescribed course of study in the Indiana Dental College [ed., now Indiana University School of Dentistry], at Indianapolis, he graduated from that institution in 1891. He came to Morrisonville in the spring of that year and began the practice of his profession. Though but little over two years have elapsed since that time, he has already acquired an extensive practice, and has made a reputation for conscientious and reliable work.

On the 8th of October, 1891, occurred the wedding of Dr. Harp and Miss Daisy May Voorhees, of Morrisonville. The lady is a daughter of Dr. Charles and Margaret E. (Lindsey) Vorhees, who are well-known citizens of this place.

In regard to the question of politics, Dr. Harp uses his influence and ballot in support of Democratic nominees and measures. He is a young man of promise and the course he has pursued in life thus far is worthy of commendation. It is his constant aim to keep entirely abreast of the times in everything relating to dentistry, and he therefore peruses the best medical journals and keeps up with his studies in that direction. He is a most estimable young man, and has made many friends during the two years of his residence in this place.
 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails