Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
|CHARLES H. HILL, who is Justice of the Peace and Notary Public
of Rosamond, is a native of the old Granite State. He was born in Northwood, N. H, July 10, 1826, and is a descendant
of one of three brothers who emigrated from England to America in 1680 and established the Hill family in the Colonies.
One of the brothers, Samuel, held a grant from King George III. for the entire site of the city of Boston.
From a genealogical history of the Hill family, compiled and published by Edmund J. Lane, of Dover, N. H., we learn that the Hill name runs back to John Rogers, the martyr. Benjamin Hill, the great-grandfather of our subject, was born at Brentwood, N. H. He married Betsey Dudley, of Stratham, N. H., and reared a family of eight children. On the 18th of March, 1752, Benjamin Hill removed with his family from Brentwood to Northwood, N. H, taking up the land which has ever since been occupied by the Hill family. Its present occupant is Frank R. Hill, a lineal descendant of Benjamin, and of the fifth generation from him.
Benjamin Hill was drafted for the Revolutionary War, and his son, Nicholas Dudley, not wishing him to go alone, also enlisted. The father died at Ticonderoga, and the son returned to his home, then being his mother's chief dependence. Nicholas Dudley Hill was born at Brentwood, N. H., and was the eldest of his father's family. He married Mary Crockett, and they also had eight children, of whom John, the father of our subject, was second in order of birth. The latter was born in Northwood, March 21, 1785, and was a farmer by occupation. He married Susan Pearl, who was born in Farmington, N. H, March 31, 1785, and was a daughter of Ichabod Pearl, who was a native of the Granite State, and was of English lineage. His wife, our subject's maternal grandmother, who bore the maiden name of Mary Young, was a native of the same community and her ancestors came from the same family. The Pearl family are lineal descendants of the Earl of Northumberland, who was the father of Lady Jane Grey, who made claim to the throne of England.
The parents of our subject both engaged in school teaching. During the War of 1812, Mr. Hill abandoned that profession and removed to Middleton, N. H., where he opened a store and tavern. They became the parents of eight children, four sons and four daughters, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood. Mary E. died June 17, 1886; John C. died in 1813; Caroline G. died January 23, 1886; Susan L. died in St. Louis, Mo., March 1, 1879; Sophronia E. died in Cambridge, Mass., November 5, 1857; David C., who was a member of the senior class of Dartmouth College, N. H., died August 24, 1849; and George W. resides in Providence, R. I.
The subject of this sketch is a twin brother of George. They are the youngest and the only members of the family now living. Charles remained with his parents for some years, and when quite young accompanied them to Great Falls, N. H., where his father died when he was five years of age, leaving the mother with eight children to support. When a youth of nine years our subject began working for William Shaw, of North
Berwick, Me., with whom he remained for two years, when, at the age of eleven, he went to Farmington, N. H., where he spent two years in the employ of Benjamin Wingate.
On the expiration of that period he went to Milton, N. H., to make his home with his uncle, Joseph Pearl, with whom he remained until twenty years of age. His place of residence then changed, and we find him at Natick, Mass., in the family of Vice-President Henry Wilson, who was reared by an aunt of our subject, Mrs. Temperance Knight, of Farmington. From 1846 until 1849, Mr. Hill there remained, and in September of the last-named year he went to Gilmanton Academy [ed., see Atkinson and Gilmantown Academy Grant], which he attended for three years. He taught school at Stratford, N. H., in the winter of 1849-50, returning to the academy in the spring.
On the 26th of December, 1854, in Gilmanton, N. H., Mr. Hill was united in marriage with Mary F., daughter of Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Smith) Morgan, the former a native of Brentwood, N. H., and the latter of Ipswich, Mass. Both were of English descent. Mrs. Morgan was the youngest in a family of four sons and three daughters and was born in Gilmanton, N. H.
After his marriage, Mr. Hill was employed with the firm of A. G. Farwell & Co., wholesale flour merchants, for ten years, and in December, 1863, was appointed Paymaster of the United States navy, with his headquarters on the steamer Saco for three years. On the 10th of April, 1866, he left that position and was appointed Constable in Massachusetts, serving as such until 1868, when he came to Rosamond, Ill., where he has since resided. He is now serving as Notary Public, and for four years was Justice of the Peace.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hill were born four children, George C.; Charles R., who died leaving a wife and two children, George R. and Bessie W.; Minnie W., wife of Henry P. Denbow, of Pana, by whom she has a daughter, Pearl I.; and Susan E., wife of Howard A. Koogle, of Pana.
Mr. and Mrs. Hill have almost pleasant home and own a fine farm of fifty-one acres. In his social relations he is a Mason, belonging to Pana Lodge No. 226, and he is also a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. In the public duties which he has been called upon to fill, he has ever performed his part with faithfulness and fidelity and to the credit of himself and the satisfaction of his constituents. His life has been an honorable and upright one, and the high regard of all with whom business or pleasure has brought him in contact is his.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails