Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
|Christopher C. HOLLIER is one of the honored early pioneers of Christian County,
and is a native of the Prairie State, having been born February 13, 1825, in Belleville, Ill. His farm, which he
is engaged in operating, is situated on section 14, Mosquito Township. It is within his recollection when this
county was a wild prairie, having very few settlements upon it, and when he arrived here there were only five families
within a radius of twelve miles.
The country abounded with wolves, deer and other wild game, and our subject has seen as many as sixty deer in one herd. Decatur was only a small town, having one store, and the early settlers had to do their trading at Springfield.
Our subject has resided here longer than any man in the township, and has the acquaintance and friendship of many people in this and adjoining counties.
Christopher C. Hollier, Sr., the father of our subject, was born in England, and on his arrival in America settled in southern Illinois. He was a tinner by trade and peddled, and when our subject was a small child the father left home on a peddling trip, and they have not since heard from him.
His wife, whose maiden name was Clara Osborn, was born in Dayton County, Ohio, and came to Illinois with her uncle when young. She married for her second husband Asa Reed, of Rock Island, and removed to Sangamon County in 1830. Three years later the family settled at the head of Mosquito Creek, in Macon County, where they continued to reside for a score of years.
In 1853, they purchased land in Mosquito Township, where Mr. Reed died only two years later. By the second union were born ten children, who are all deceased but Clara, who is the wife of Al McKinney, a resident of Taylorville. The mother died at the home of our subject, at the age of fifty-five years. One of her sons, Edmond R., was killed at the battle of Ft. Donelson.
Mr. Hollier whose name heads this sketch was only a small child when his parents located in Macon County, their home being just across the line from his present place of residence and only two miles distant. When eighteen years of age he left home and went to Sangamon County, where he worked for farmers for a time, but still continued to return to the old home from time to time. He enlisted in Company D, Fourth Illinois Infantry, under the command of E. D. Baker, during the Mexican War, and was in the service for one year.
On his return to Sangamon County, Mr. Hollier worked on a farm until December 10, 1849, at which time was celebrated his union with Miss Nancy McKinney, of that county. Coming to Christian County soon after, our subject purchased forty acres of raw land, for which he paid $3 per acre. He had previously entered one hundred and sixty acres of land in Macon County, in 1848, on an old Mexican land warrant. His property now comprises two hundred and sixty-one acres, which represent his own unassisted efforts and years of honest industry.
Twelve children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hollier, four sons and eight daughters, but six of the children died in infancy. Samuel is a resident of Bozeman, Mont.; Mary is the wife of Jacob Bliler, a prosperous farmer of Montana; Edmund is also a resident of Bozeman; Alice became the wife of Eli Bliler, a farmer of Mosquito Township; Ida is the wife of William Cormony, who farms a part of the old homestead; and Lucy is Mrs. James Harris, her husband being engaged in farming in the same township.
In his social relations, Mr. Hollier belongs to the Masonic order, and is a member of Lodge No. 682, of Blue Mound, Ill. For a number of years he has been one of the School Directors, and has served as Town Clerk for two years. He stands by the Republican party and nominees in general elections. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and are active in religious and benevolent work.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails