Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
|JACOB HUBER, M. D., who for twenty-seven years has engaged in
the practice of his profession in Pana, was born April 11, 1840, in Logan County, Ohio, and is a son of Emanuel and Barbara (Sellers) Huber. The family lived upon a farm, and in the usual
manner of farmer lads his early boyhood days were passed. At the usual age he entered school, easily mastering
the common branches.
At the age of fifteen, he began teaching school, and although so young he met with success and was thus employed for four years. He then completed his literary education in the seminaries at DeGraff and Bellefontaine, Ohio, which ended his regular school days.
On making choice of a business which he wished to follow through life, he determined to enter the medical profession, and began the study of medicine under the direction of T. L. Wright, M. D., of Bellefontaine. He afterwards entered the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati [ed., probably the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine], and was graduated from that institution in March, 1862, with the degree of M. D., and still later graduated from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, N. Y., in the Class of '79 and '80.
The Civil War was now in progress, aid for the wounded and suffering was needed, and, prompted by patriotic impulses, Dr. Huber, the day following his graduation, entered the Forty-seventh Ohio Infantry, March 11, 1862, as Assistant Surgeon under Stephen P. Bonner. He enlisted in Cincinnati in what was called the Wilstack Regiment, named for the Mayor of the city.
He did service in West Virginia and at the siege of Vicksburg, being with his regiment in field service. From the 19th of May to the 4th of July, 1863, during the siege of Vicksburg, his regiment lost about half its force. Dr. Huber was with the Army of the Tennessee, and was present at the battles of Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain under Gen. Sherman. He accompanied the expedition to the relief of the troops at Knoxville, Tenn., and spent the winter at Larkinsville, Ala. He veteranized in March, 1864, and returning from a veteran furlough joined Sherman's army at Alabama, then just starting on the Atlanta Campaign. He was in all the battles of that campaign and on the memorable march to the sea. On reaching Savannah, the Surgeon of the regiment having resigned, Dr. Huber was appointed to that position. His last service was in Little Rock, Ark., and on the 1st of September, 1865, he was honorably discharged.
When the war was over, Dr. Huber returned to his home in DeGraff, Ohio, where he remained a year and a-half, when he came to Pana, where he has since been in active practice. For fourteen years, he served as local surgeon for the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad Company, and has been a member of the Pension Board for twelve years. He is also a member of the Central District Medical Society [ed., Illinois State Medical Society] and the American Medical Society. He is well versed in the science of medicine, keeps abreast with everything connected with the profession, and well deserves the high reputation which he now enjoys.
On the 23d of October, 1867, in DeGraff, Ohio, the Doctor was united in marriage with Miss Amanda Harbor, of Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio. They lost two children in infancy and have now no family. This worthy couple, throughout the community where they are so widely known, rank high in social circles. The Doctor is a Democrat in politics, has twice served as Alderman of Pana, and in 1890 was elected Mayor. While on the Council and in the Mayor's chair, his faithful performance of duty and his painstaking service won him the commendation of all. The Doctor is secretary of the Electric Light Company, and takes an active interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails