Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
MOSES HUTCHINS is the owner of one of Christian
County's fine farms. He resides on section 22, Rosamond Township, where he has one hundred and sixty acres of valuable
land, whereon he has made his home since 1875. In all its appointments the place is complete and may well be numbered
among the model farms of the community. The substantial and pleasant residence was erected in 1875, at a cost of
$2,000. Good barns and other necessary outbuildings stand in the midst of well-tilled fields, and the neat and
thrifty appearance of the place indicates the careful supervision of the owner, who is both practical and progressive.
Mr. Hutchins was born in Edwardsville, Madison County, Ill., on the 10th of January, 1845, and on both the paternal and maternal sides is of English descent.
His father, William Hutchins, was born in St. Mary's, Md., April 20, 1802, was there reared to manhood, and wedded Matilda Dorsey, who was born in 1808, in
County, Md., and was a daughter of William
Dorsey, of that State. They located on a farm in Maryland,
and in 1842 removed to Baltimore, spending two years in that city. In 1844 they came to the West, locating in Madison County,
Ill., upon a farm, where they spent their remaining
days. The father died at the age of eighty-seven, and his wife passed away when sixty-three years of age. They
were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which Mr. Hutchins served as Elder for some time. In politics,
he was first a Whig, and afterward a Republican. Their family of four children numbered three sons and a daughter,
but the latter, Susan, died at the age of nine years; Daniel died at the age of twenty-seven; and David is living
Moses, who is the youngest of the family,
was reared in the county of his nativity until twenty-three years of age, and conned
his lessons in the district schools of the neighborhood. In 1869 he removed to this county and took up his residence
on section 20, Rosamond Township, where he purchased a farm, to which he devoted his time and attention until 1875.
He then purchased and removed to the farm which has since been his home. He now has it under a high state of cultivation,
and in connection with its improvement he also engages quite extensive in stock-raising, making a specialty of
cattle and hogs.
In 1871 Mr. Hutchins was united in marriage
with Sarah J. Estabrook, a native of Madison County, Ill., and a daughter
of John and Nancy Estabrook, who were early settlers of that county, there locating in 1818, at which
time the father secured the land from the Government and began the development of a home on the frontier. Of the
family of ten children, Mrs. Hutchins is the youngest. By her marriage she became the mother of three daughters:
Clara May, Emeline Matilda and Bessie Estabrook, all at home.
As his financial resources have increased,
Mr. Hutching has made additional purchases of land, until he is now the owner of eight hundred acres in Christian
County, all acquired through his good management, diligence and business ability. In politics he is a supporter
of Republican principles. He holds
membership with the Congregational Church of Rosamond, and is now serving as Trustee. He takes an active part in
church work, and gives his support and co-operation to all that tends to promote its growth and insure its upbuilding.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails