Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
|RICHARD LARGE, a retired farmer residing in Taylorville, has lived a busy and useful life, and now in his declining years
is enjoying a well-earned rest. He claims the Emerald Isle as the land of his birth, which occurred on the 19th
of September, 1821, in Queens County, thirty miles from
His father, George Large, was twice married. In 1824 he started with his family for Canada, crossing the Atlantic in a sailing-vessel, and three weeks after reaching his destination died, leaving his widow with six children.
The family located near Niagara Falls, in Canada, where they remained until 1828, when they removed to what is now Noble County, Ohio, where Mrs. Large had a sister living. They purchased a tract of timber-land, and in the midst of the forest hewed out a farm. Henry Large, the only survivor of the family besides our subject, is still living on the old homestead, and is now worth $300,000.
Richard Large aided his mother in the cultivation of her land, and remained under the parental roof until eighteen years old, when he started out in life for himself. At that time he became an apprentice to Robert Adair, of Guernsey County, Ohio, serving a three-years term at cabinet-making. During the first two years he received $33 a year, and for the last year $66. When his term expired he followed carpentering during the summer months, and in the winter season worked for his old employer.
Mr. Large was married in Senecaville in the fall of 1844, the lady of his choice being Margaret McGinnis. There they began their domestic life, but in 1846 they removed to Whigville, and there, building a shop and home, Mr. Large earned on business until 1856.
However, in the latter part of 1852, he went by water to California, where for a few weeks he engaged in mining, and then resumed his trade, carrying on a sash and door factory in Nevada,
The same fall he came to Illinois and purchased seventy acres of land at $6 per acre on Buckeye Prairie, in Christian County. A few years later he bought another seventy-acre tract at $15 per acre, and in 1856 he brought his family to Christian County. For a year he worked in Taylorville at cabinet-making, but in the spring of 1857 removed to the farm, which he operated successfully until the death of his wife, which occurred February 9, 1876.
The family of Richard Large numbered seven children. Elizabeth Ann, who became the wife of Frank M. Winters, of Locust Township, died in 1890; Noah H., of Millersville, is a dealer in horses and cattle, and is now Supervisor of Locust Township; Eveline C. is the wife of E. W. Cleary, who is now living on the old homestead in Locust Township; Samuel Lewis and Henry Melchior are now in the West; Alfred Bronson died in 1879, at the age of twenty-one; and Cora Illinois is the wife of Clarence Hunter, of Rosamond Township. Mr. Large was again married, in Noble County, Ohio, February 24, 1878, his second union being with Mrs. Martha A. Hobaugh. She is a daughter of James W. and Henrietta S. (Round) Shankland, and in November, 1843, became the wife of William O. P. Hobaugh. They made their home in Monroe County, Ohio, until April, 1866, when they removed to St. Louis, where the husband died of cholera in September, 1866. They had a family of live children. Eliza C. is now the wife of B. F. Brun, a photographer of Lyons, Kan.; Emma F. is living in New York; and the others are deceased.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Large returned to Illinois and located upon a farm, where they made their home until 1882. In that year they removed to Taylorville, where they have since resided. Their home is beautifully located, and their residence is a neat and tasty dwelling, comfortably furnished. Mr. Large still owns his farm of one hundred and forty acres in Locust Township, and it yields him a good income.
His successful management of business in former years, and his well-directed efforts, have made him one of the substantial citizens of the community, and he is therefore now enabled to live a retired life. In politics, he was a Democrat prior to the war, but on the organization of the Republican party he joined its ranks, and continued one of its supporters until 1884, since which time he has been an advocate of the Prohibition party.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails