genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
GEORGE LIENHART is proprietor of a wagon factory and blacksmith and paint shop of Taylorville. The record of his life is as follows: A native of Alsace, Germany [Alsace-Lorrraine was the name given after the French territories of Alsace and Lorraine were annexed to Germany in 1871], he was born on the 6th of May, 1834, and was reared to manhood in his native land. His boyhood days were spent midst play and work and in his youth he served a two-years apprenticeship to the trade of wagon-making and blacksmithing. Hearing favorable accounts of the opportunities and advantages afforded young men in the New World, he determined to test the truth of these reports by emigrating to America and trying his fortune in this land of freedom. Crossing the briny deep in 1852, he spent the first six months after his arrival in Buffalo, N. Y., and during the succeeding year was employed in that county.

The year 1854 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Lienhart in Illinois. For one year he worked as a journeyman in Springfield, and in 1855 came to Taylorville, where he spent two and a half years in the employ of Amos Cheny. In 1858, he went to Dallas, Tex., remaining in the South for nearly ten years, when, in July, 1868, he returned to this place. On again reaching Taylorville, Mr. Lienhart established himself in business in his present line, and has since carried on operations. He thoroughly understands his business in all its details, and as the result of his excellent workmanship and fair dealing, he has gained a liberal patronage. His trade has so increased that he now furnishes employment to three men.

On the 4th of September, 1860, in Dallas, Tex., Mr. Lienhart was joined in wedlock with Mary Adeline Ridgeway, a native of Tennessee. Three children have been born unto them: Margaret Elizabeth; John Edward, a druggist; and Mary Ida, who became the wife of John E. Harrison, of Owen County, Ind., and died November 20, 1892, at the age of twenty-six years, leaving an infant son, George Chase Harrison, who is now with his grandparents.

Mr. Lienhart has made considerable investments in real estate and built five residences in Taylorville. His home is situated in the midst of a tract of four and a-half acres. He also owns a number of city lots in Dallas, Tex. When he left the South property could not be sold except at a very low figure, but it has now greatly risen in value. Our subject is an industrious and enterprising man and his well-directed efforts and untiring labors have brought him the property which now places him among the substantial citizens of the community. His wife is a member of the Christian Church, and both are highly respected people, having many friends in Taylorville.
 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails