Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
|GEORGE E. MAXON.a resident of Morrisonville, is one of the large land-owners of Christian County, where he has lived since 1878. In 1881 he located
in this village, where he has a fine residence properly. He was born in Watertown, N. Y., January 9,
1838, and is the son of George W. and Julania (Moore) Maxon. The father was a farmer in the Empire
His father was a native of Scotland, and emigrated to America when very young with his father, who settled in New York, he was a farmer and died while still in the prime of life. He had a family of five sons and three daughters. Our subject's mother died when seventy-four years of age, in 1882, in the faith of the Methodist Church, to which she had belonged for many years. Her father, Verannis Moore, was a native of New York
George E. is the youngest of four children, the others being Ellen, wife of Warren Baker, a resident of Marcellus, N. Y.; and Orin and Clark, both deceased. The early years of our subject were passed in the Empire State, and until he was seventeen years of age he continued to live with his parents on the farm, receiving his early education in the district schools.
In 1855 he removed to Chicago, where he entered the employ of a firm dealing in hides, wool and leather. At the end of six years, or in 1861, he purchased the interest of J. C. Coe, of the firm of Coe & Van Duyn, of Springfield, Ill. The firm then became G. A. Van Duyn & Co., Mr. Maxon being the Co. Two years later the firm bought twelve hundred acres of land in this county, near Morrisonville.
Mr. Maxton's chief reason for becoming a farmer was on account of his poor health. He still, however, retained his interest in the business in Springfield until 1878, when he made an arrangement by which Mr. Van Duyn became proprietor of his interest in the Springfield concern, and he the exclusive owner of the land in this county.
In 1891, he sold the land and first located in Christian County, and in the same year, in company with Messrs N. D. Ricks and William Provine, of Taylorville, purchased the Tuse interest in what is known as the Darcy tract of land, lying near Morrisonville and comprising nearly six thousand acres, all of which is under cultivation and among the best corn lands of the State.
Mr. Maxon now devotes his time to the care of these lands for the firm. In all his life our subject has only made three changes of location from the East to Chicago, from Chicago to Springfield, and from Springfield to this county.
The marriage of Mr. Maxon and Miss Lina H. Potter was celebrated on the 10th of October, 1862. She is the daughter of Caleb M. and Harriet (Partridge) Potter, natives of the Empire State, and residents of Skaneateles. Mr. and Mrs. Maxon are the parents of three children: Adelbert P., Nina H. and Howard L. The two first-named are now deceased.
Fraternally, Mr. Maxon is a member of the Masonic order, and in politics is a Republican. In 1890 he was elected a member of the Board of Supervisors, and has also served for two terms as a member of the Village Board.
The one thousand acres of land which he owns in this county are all well improved and very valuable. Mrs. Maxon, who is a well-educated and most agreeable lady, is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Morrisonville. The success which our subject has achieved is entirely due to his own native characteristics and business talent, as he started out to make his fortune without possessing a dollar as capital. His example as a financier is well worthy the emulation of young men.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails