CHARLES M. MEREDITH, a grocer of Taylorville, is one of Illinois' native sons, for he was born in Sangamon
County, on the 23d of July, 1839. His paternal grandfather, Solomon Meredith, was one of the pioneer settlers
of that county. He was a native of Virginia, and a farmer by occupation.
Both he and his wife spent their last days in Sangamon County. They reared a large family, one of whom, Davis Meredith,
became the father of our subject. He was born in Ohio, and when
a young man came to Illinois, in 1835, locating in Sangamon County, nine miles south of Springfield, where he is
still living. He was a soldier in theBlack Hawk War.
Upon the old home farm, where he and his wife still reside, all of their children were born. He is now the oldest
settler living in Sangamon County. Mrs. Meredith bore the maiden name of Mary Newcomer. She too is a native of
theBuckeye State, as was her father, Christopher Newcomer, who came with his family to Illinois in an early day,
and died in Sangamon County.
The Meredith family numbered seven children, three sons and four daughters, and the family circle yet remains unbroken
by the hand of Death. Susan is now the wife of Drury Jones; Charles is the second in order of birth; Mary J. is
the wife of J. R. Kincaid; Sarah is the wife of L. R. Hedrick; Christopher Columbus, Osborn and Fannie are the
We now take up the personal history of the gentleman whose name heads this record. The days of his boyhood and
youth were spent in the usual manner of farmer lads upon the old homestead in Sangamon County. During the winter
season he attended the district schools of the neighborhood, and in the summer months aided in the labors of the
field, giving his father the benefit of his services until the war broke out, when he responded to the country's
call for troops, enlisting in Company E, One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Infantry, in which he served two years
and eight months. He participated in the siege of Vicksburg, the battles of Guntown and Jackson, and a number of
other engagements, being always found at his post of duty.
On the 8th of March, 1861, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Meredith and Miss Laura, daughter of Ozias Wagner.
Four children were born unto them, a son and three daughters, but Minnie and Charles, the eldest and the youngest
of the family, are now deceased. Those still living are Mary and Ida.
When Mr. Meredith returned from the army, he resumed farming in Sangamon County, where for a number of years he
continued agricultural pursuits. In 1868, he came to Christian County, and for one year followed farming. He then
took up his residence in Taylorville, and during the succeeding five years was in the employ of Hatch & Anderson,
dealers in agricultural implements. He then embarked in the clothing business in company with Charles Dean, but
this venture proved a failure, and during the succeeding nine years he was employed as a salesman in the clothing-house
of Samuel H. Mossier. On the expiration of that period he formed a partnership, in 1888, with J. C. Hunter, and
they opened a grocery store, under the firm name of Hunter & Meredith. They have since successfully engaged
in business and are now enjoying a good trade.
In his political affiliations, Mr. Meredith is connected with the Republican party. Socially, he is connected with
the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows' fraternity. His wife is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Meredith
takes a commendable interest in all public affairs calculated to benefit or upbuild the community, and is a progressive
citizen, who is alike true to his country in times of peace as in times of war.