Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
JOSEPH F. MILLER, M. D., who is engaged in the practice of
his profession in Palmer, has a large practice in this place and the surrounding country. He
is a native of Illinois, having been born in Fayette
After the death of our subject's mother, his father married Elizabeth Forester, by whom he had three children. Two died in infancy, while the third child, Andrew D., is still living. The third wife of Mr. Miller bore the maiden name of Catherine Sanford. She became the mother of a son and daughter, Lewis A., and Addie M., who died at the age of thirteen years. After the death of Mrs. Catherine Miller, the husband wedded Lytha J. Burns, and to them were born two children, Lola and Gertrude. Mr. Miller has been for a period of forty years a minister in the Christian Church. He was a valiant soldier during the war with Mexico.
Dr. J. F. Miller, whose name heads this sketch, was reared on his father's farm in Fayette County, and lived at home until he had attained his seventeenth year. He received his early education in the district schools, and while still quite young determined to become a physician. He therefore
entered the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, and after pursuing his studies there for several years, was graduated from that justly noted institution in March, 1889. In the following July he located in Palmer, where he began the practice of his profession. He has already acquired a large practice, as he is well informed and well read on all matters pertaining to the science of medicine, and keeps fully abreast of the times.
The Doctor was united in marriage with Miss Henrietta Lowe on the 8th of June, 1890. The lady is a daughter of Milton and Priscilla (Hinton) Lowe, of Shelby County, Ill. By her marriage she has become the mother of a bright little boy, who was given the Christian name of his grandfather, Jacob, and whose middle name is Clyde.
Socially, the Doctor is a member of Palmer Lodge No. 501, I. O. O. F., and also holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America. He casts his ballot in favor of the nominees of the Republican party, and has served for one term as a member of the Village Board of Trustees, and always takes an active part in educational matters. He owns a pleasant and desirable home properly, where he has his office. In addition to this he has ten acres of land which is situated one mile from Palmer. By those who know him well he is held in the highest regard, and is a man of justice and upright character.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails