genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
SAMUEL MILLIGAN, deceased, who was prominently identified with the growth and upbuilding of Taylorville, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, August 10, 1827, and died at his home in this city on the 21st of April, 1884, respected by all who knew him. His parents were William and Eliza (Pollock) Milligan. The former, a native of Pennsylvania, died November 7, 1850, and the death of the latter occurred in 1865.

No event of special importance occurred during the youth of our subject, which was quietly passed in his parents' home. It was in 1856 that Mr. Milligan left the State of his nativity and removed to Taylorville, Ill., where he made his home until his death.

He was a butcher by trade, and in this place opened a meat-market, which he carried on continuously for many years. From the beginning his business constantly increased, and he enjoyed a liberal patronage, which was well deserved, for his dealings were ever characterized by the strictest honor and integrity.

Our subject was married in Taylorville, in 1866, the lady of his choice being Mrs. Rebecca McArthur, widow of Thomas McArthur, who was a member of Company H, Thirty-sixth Ohio Infantry, during the late war, and died in the service in 1864.

The following year his widow came to Taylorville, and on the 18th of November, 1866, occurred her marriage with Mr. Milligan. She bore the maiden name of Rebecca Snuffin, and is a native of Champaign County, Ohio, her girlhood being passed in the same community in which our subject was reared. By her first marriage she had five children: Duncan, who is engaged in the dairy business; Levi, who is a jeweler of Taylorville; Walter, who is connected with a coal mine

of this city; and two who died in childhood. Mr. Milligan's family numbered the following children: Mary, who became the wife of William Fousnacht, and died at the age of nineteen; William, who died at the age of three years; David F., who carries on the business formerly conducted by his father; Anon C., Charles II. and Walter, who died at the age of fifteen, seven and two years, respectively; Amos, who died at the age of eighteen months; Rosa May, who is engaged in the millinery business; and Nellie, who is pursuing a course in music.

Mr. Milligan came to Taylorville a poor man, but by his industry, perseverance and well-directed efforts he accumulated a handsome competency, and left his family in comfortable circumstances. He platted five acres of ground, known as Milligan's Addition to Taylorville, and erected thereon a number of desirable residences, the greater part of which he had sold before his death. In politics, he was a supporter of the Republican party, but was never an aspirant for the honors or emoluments of public office.

His death resulted from blood poisoning, and occurred three weeks after sustaining an injury, the point of a small saw penetrating his foot. He lived a quiet, unassuming life, yet was a public-spirited and progressive citizen, and had the esteem of all who knew him. Mrs. Milligan is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and is a most estimable lady. Since her husband's death she has continued to make her home in Taylorville.
 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails