genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p. 268.  Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.

DAVID M. MOORE. It is a special pleasure to trace the history of one of the honored veterans of the Civil War, who fought and suffered untold hardships in the defense of this fair and now prosperous land. The gentleman of whom we write was one of the soldier boys who donned the blue early in the war and did valiant service under the Stars and Stripes.

Mr. Moore has only been a resident of Christian County for some twelve years, during which time he has been engaged in farming on section 25, Stonington Township, but since casting his lot in this neighborhood he has become thoroughly interested in its prosperity.

The birth of Mr. Moore occurred in Licking County, Ohio, July 8, 1833. He is the eldest in a family comprising three sons and three daughters. His parents are Samuel and Jane M. (Gaughy) Moore. The next younger in the family is Jane, wife of Henry Safford, who resides in McLean County, Ill. Anna is the wife of Henry Morris, a retired farmer, now residing in Kankakee, Ill. Eliza became the wife of E. H. Roberts, of Ottawa, Ill. Hugh B. is a farmer, residing near Jamestown, N. Dak. One child died in infancy.

Samuel Moore was born in Adams County, Pa., August 18, 1802. His father, David Moore, was also a native of that county, and was one of its Trustees in 1799, when the county was organized, prior to which time it was a part of York County. He was a soldier in the War of the Revolution, and was a Deacon in the Presbyterian Church.

The father of our subject was only two years old when his parents took him to Licking County, Ohio, where he was reared to manhood on a farm. After his marriage, he carried on a farm and operated a gristmill. He was a prominent man in the Whig party at that time, and was Justice of the Peace for a number of years. In 1856, he emigrated to La Salle County, Ill., where he resided until his death, in February, 1863.

His wife was also a native of Adams County, Pa., born in 1810, and was of Scotch descent. She was called from this life in Livingston County, Ill., when in her seventy-eighth year.

David M. Moore passed his early years on his father's farm in Licking County, Ohio, and remained with his parents until twenty-nine years of age, being given a good common-school education. On the 25th of September, 1861, he joined Yates' Sharp-shooters, Sixty-fourth Regiment Illinois Infantry, and served with them for two years and three months. He enlisted as a private, but before two months had elapsed he was elected Sergeant, while at Camp Butler. A short time afterwards he was promoted to the Second Lieutenancy, and after valiant service in the battle of Resaca, in which the Captain of his company was killed, he was promoted to fill the position.

He was a participant in the noted engagements of Atlanta, Corinth, Resaca, Island No. 10, and in a great many other battles of more or less note. He received an honorable discharge on the 26th of November, 1864, being obliged to leave the army on account of much trouble he was experiencing with his eyes.

Returning to La Salle County, Ill., he was there wedded on the 19th of November, 1866, to Miss Nellie Briggs, of that county, who died in 1872, leaving two sons, David E. and James B., who are both engaged in farming in this county. After living for some years in La Salle County, Mr. Moore removed to Livingston County, where he continued to reside until 1877, then going to Nebraska. At the end of four years spent in the West, he returned, in 1881, and bought land in Christian County, the farm which he still operates.

In 1874, occurred the union of Mr. Moore and Miss Sarah E. Peabody. She is the daughter of Capt. M. M. Peabody, one of the early settlers and most worthy citizens of this county. Our subject's farm comprises eighty acres, on which are substantial improvements and a fine orchard. In politics, Mr. Moore is an active Republican and is now one of the School Trustees of this district. In his social relations, he is a member oC the Masonic order and belongs to Post No. 392, G. A. R., of Taylorville.

 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails