Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
|WILLIAM MORGAN is a native-born citizen of Christian County,
his birth occurring on the 4th of September, 1838. He carries on his farm of three hundred and twenty acres on
section 13, Mosquito Township, in addition to which he has for the past six years been engaged in the mercantile business in the village, now known as Morganville. He is an able and enterprising
agriculturist and business man and has made a success of his various undertakings.
John Morgan, our subject's father, was born in Kentucky, being a son of Lambert Morgan, of Virginia, who emigrated to Kentucky in an early day. The father participated in the War of 1812, and was in the battle of New Orleans. In 1820 he settled in Indiana, where he resided for twelve years.
He later went to Vandalia, Ill., his parents proceeding further West. After living for a time at that place, Mr. Morgan went to St. Louis, Mo., where he was employed on a ferry boat. After some wandering he finally settled in this county, where he married Miss Nancy Watkins, a native of Tennessee, whose father was an early settler of central Illinois. Our subject was the only child of this marriage. The father located on a farm in Mosquito Township, where he passed his remaining days.
His second wife was a Mrs. Allen, who bore the maiden name of Lucinda Loyd. She was a native of Kentucky, and became the mother of six children, one of whom is now deceased.
William Morgan was reared on the pioneer farm of his father in this county and received but limited advantages in an educational direction. He embarked in business at Mt. Auburn on attaining manhood, but soon turned his attention to farming. Though he has continued as an agriculturist up to the present time, he has always been interested in commercial lines, and in 1887 opened his mercantile store in Morganville. He does general merchandising and commands a good trade. His farm, which is well developed, covers three hundred and twenty acres and is one of the best in the township.
In August, 1866, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Morgan and Miss Margaret A. Nicholas, daughter of A. E. and Julia Nicholas, of Sangamon County, Ill. Five children have been born to them, namely: Emma, wife of Albert Allen, of Decatur; Lucy E., wife of Harvey Clements, who is living on the old farm; John R., W. E. and George A., who are all at home.
Soon after his marriage Mr. Morgan located on a farm of one hundred and forty acres, which has since been extended to its present limits. His father, in order to give him a start, deeded ninety acres to him, and by hard labor and economy he has acquired the remainder. In 1862 he was elected Constable of Mosquito Township, a position he ably filled for twenty years. For three years he has served as Road Commissioner, and for two decades has been School Commissioner. In politics, he is a stanch Democrat, having voted for its nominees since casting his first, vote for James Buchanan. He is a member of the Fraternal Mystic Circle, and, religiously, both himself and wife are devoted members of the Christian Church and are highly thought of and honored by their neighbors.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails