genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p226.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.

OSCAR F. MORRISON, a well-known citizen of Taylorville, claims New Hampshire as the State of his nativity. The place of his birth is in the city of Keene, and the date May 22, 1837. His parents were David and Betsy Ann (Wilson) Morrison. His boyhood days were quietly passed, and the public schools afforded him his educational privileges. Since the age of fifteen he has made his own way in the world. At that time he began learning the printer's trade, serving a three-years apprenticeship. When a young man of twenty years he determined to seek a home and fortune in the West, for he believed that better privileges were here afforded than in the older and more thickly settled States of the East. In consequence he arrived in Pana, Christian County, on the 22d of July, 1857, and in that place and in Clinton he was engaged in newspaper work until 1866. In connection with Mahlon De Levis he founded and published the Clinton Public, which he carried on during the war.

On the 3d of October, 1861, Mr. Morrison was united in marriage with Miss Sarah A. Frink, the ceremony being performed on the site of their present home. The lady is a daughter of Judge W. S. and Sarah G. (Grant) Frink. Her father died September 12, 1887, of paralysis, in his ninety-seventh year. He was the last survivor in a family of twelve children. Throughout Christian County he was recognized as a prominent citizen.

He laid out Frink's Addition to the city, consisting of eighteen lots, and was prominent in all public affairs. For seventy-five years he was a member of the Masonic fraternity, having been made a Mason in North Stonington, Conn., in 1821. He was always an active member of the society, was a charter member of Mound Lodge, and took the Knight Templar degree. Further mention is made of Judge Frink on another page of this work.

After the death of her mother Mr. and Mrs. Morrison came to Taylorville, in 1866, to make their home with the Judge, she being his only living child. The family numbered six children, but one died at the age of fifteen, one at seven years, another at twenty-one, and two in early childhood. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison have two children: Mary Emma, who is employed as a teacher in the sixth grade in the Taylorville public schools; and Loretta Frink, wife of Nathaniel Gandy, of Taylorville.

After coming to this city, our subject spent six years in the store of C. E. Barnes & Co., of Taylorville. In politics, he is a Republican and a stanch advocate of its principles, but has never been an aspirant for political preferment. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church, and also belongs to Hazelmere Chapter No. 221, O.E.S., of which she is now Treasurer. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison hold an enviable position in social circles, and have many friends throughout this community, in which they have so long resided.

 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails