genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
C. G. RICHARDS, who carries on general farming on section 10, Rosamond Township, where he owns and operates one hundred and twenty acres of good land, is a native of the Buckeye State, his birth having occurred near Canton, in Stark County, on the 21st of March, 1839. His father, Abraham Richards, was a native of Pennsylvania, and was a farmer by occupation.

The paternal grand father of our subject died in Albany, N. Y. Abraham Richards, having attained to mature years, was united in marriage with Miss Anna Gerber, a native of Ohio and a daughter of John Gerber, who was born in Pennsylvania, and became one of the pioneers of the Buckeye State. He settled in the midst of the forest and hewed out a farm, one hundred miles from Pittsburgh, and sixty miles from Cleveland. The latter was the nearest trading-post, and they had to obtain many of their supplies from the Indians. The father of Mr. Gerber was a slave-holder of Maryland, and removed from that State to Pennsylvania.

The parents of our subject were married near Canton, Ohio, and located upon a farm in Stark County, where they reared their family. The father died at the age of sixty-four years. He was a prominent agriculturist of the community and one of the honored pioneers. He was a member of the Methodist Church.

His widow, who was born in 1812, is still living, and makes her home near Lincoln, Neb. The family of this worthy couple numbered five children, four sons and a daughter, all of whom are still living. Lydia is the wife of Samuel Grove, of Stark County, Ohio. John is living on the old homestead in Stark County. C. G. is the next younger. David is living in Nebraska, and Joseph lives in Canton, Ohio.

The subject of this sketch is the only representative of the family in Illinois. He was reared in the county of his nativity, and acquired the greater part of his education in the district schools, but for one year was a student in Greenbush, Ohio.

Under the parental roof he remained and to his father gave the benefit of his services until twenty-five years of age, when he started out in life for himself. Going to Noble County, Ind., he worked on a farm for $14 per month, and after a year returned to his native State, where he ran an engine for a year.

He then again went to Indiana, and worked for his old employer for $20 per month. With the money which he could save he would purchase stock, and did considerable trading in horses and cattle. In 1865 we again find him in Stark County, Ohio, where he spent one year, operating a sawmill south of Canton, in which he purchased a half-interest.

On the 3d of October, 1867, Mr. Richards was united in marriage with Miss Lucy Yant, who was born in that county and is a daughter of Daniel Yant, a native of Pennsylvania. They became the parents of four children, but two are now deceased, the eldest having died in infancy, while Arthur died at the age of six years. Maud and Blanche are still at home.

In the year following his marriage, Mr. Richards brought his young wife to Christian County, Ill., and purchased the farm on which he now resides. It was an unimproved place, the land was wild, there were no fences, and the only building was a small frame house. The many improvements now seen thereon are the handiwork of our subject. The well-tilled fields and good buildings all indicate his thrift and enterprise, and he is justly classed among the representative and progressive agriculturists of the community. He has made a specialty of the breeding of Jersey cattle, and has some fine stock now on hand.

In politics, Mr. Richards is a stalwart Republican. He was elected Supervisor in 1890, and again in 1892, and is now holding that office. He has been School Trustee for fifteen years, and was Assessor for six years. He is a member of the Congregational Church of Rosamond, and has served as Trustee and Deacon. No man is more highly esteemed in the community than the subject of this sketch.
 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails