Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
W. E. SEATON, who is the present Supervisor
of Buckhart Township,
follows farming on section 30, where he has a well-improved and valuable tract of land. One of Illinois'
native sons, he was born in Fayette County on the 5th of November,
1840, and is a son of William and Ellen (Williams) Seaton. The father was born and reared in Tennessee,
and in 1830 emigrated to this State, locating in Fayette
County, where he entered land from the Government at $1.25
per acre. Upon the farm which he there improved his death occurred at the age of forty-two. His wife was also a
native of Tennessee, and was called to her final rest at the age of fifty-seven. The
family numbered seven children, four sons and three daughters, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood. Levi
is now living in Fayette County; Louisa is the
wife of James Little, of the same county; Amanda is the widow of Tony B. Williams, of Fayette County; Clarissa
is the wife of John Farber, of Fayette County; W. E. is the next younger; John is now deceased; and Riley is living
in Fayette County.
In the usual manner of farmer lads the subject of this sketch was reared to manhood. The common schools afforded him his educational privileges. He studied through the winter season and in the summer months aided in the labors of the fields. Having arrived at years of maturity, he was married, in 1862, to Julia Piatt, a native of Fayette County and a daughter of John F. Piatt. Unto them were born four children: Marinda, who died at the age of six years; John W., Jesse E. and Gordon E., who were born on the Seaton farm in this county, and are still with their father. The mother of this family was called to her final rest February 22, 1888, and her death was widely mourned by a large circle of warm friends. Mr. Seaton came to this county in 1865, and located upon the farm which has since been his home. There was a small house upon it, but no other improvements, and the place of which he came into possession bears little resemblance to the fine farm of to-day. Within the boundaries are comprised three hundred and sixty acres of rich land, which by well-kept fences is divided into forty-acre fields, all under a high state of cultivation. There are a tasty residence, good barns and outbuildings and all the accessories and conveniences of a farm of the nineteenth century. In connection with the raising of crops, Mr. Seaton is also engaged in stock-raising, and this branch of his business yields him a good income. Our subject exercises his right of franchise in support of the Democratic party. In 1889 he was elected Supervisor of the township, and has since been unanimously re-elected to that position, being the choice of both parties. He has served for twenty-one years as School Director, and has done much to advance the cause of education in this community. He proves a faithful and competent officer, and the trust reposed in him is never betrayed. No better citizen can be found in the community than Mr. Seaton, who always bears his part in the work of public improvement, and in private life is alike true.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails