genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p242.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.

REV. ALOYSIUS TEPPE has been located in Morrisonville since the fall of 1877, succeeding the Rev. Father Klaus. There are about sixty families in his parish, and he has ministered to their wants as an adviser and friend for about fifteen years.

The birth of Rev. Mr. Teppe occurred at Volkmarsen, Germany, on the 27th of November, 1854. He is son of Louis and Regina (Belzer) Teppe, both natives of Germany, and is one of four children, and the eldest of the family.

Father Teppe was a lad of only eleven years when he entered Fulda Seminary, where he industriously pursued his studies for eight years. At the expiration of that period he entered the University at Louvain, Belgium, and there commenced his study for the priesthood. At the end of three and a-half years he graduated from that institution and was ordained a priest, this being in 1877.

Soon after his ordination, Father Teppe came to America, and, as we have said before, was immediately placed in charge of the parish at Morrisonville. The old church edifice, which has been built for a number of years, will soon be converted into a school for the use of the families of the church. It is the intention of Rev. Mr. Teppe and his parishioners to erect a handsome church building in the near future at a cost of about $12,000, and the plans for it are now well under way.

 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails