Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
GEORGE WALTON, M. D., is a physician surgeon
of Clarksdale, Christian County,
where he has been engaged in practice for nearly twenty years. His patients do not come merely from the town, but
are scattered throughout the neighboring country. He is descended from an old North Carolina family, his birth having occurred near Morganton, that State, January
22, 1849. His parents, Thomas G. and Eliza (Murphy) Walton, were also natives of North Carolina. The father was a son of Thomas Walton, whose birth occurred in the
Old Dominion. When very young he removed to North Carolina, and was the first
merchant and Postmaster in Morganton. He reared a large family, and died at the age of seventy-nine years. Our
subject's maternal grandfather attained the age of about sixty years.
Thomas G. Walton, who is still living near
Morganton, is a farmer and politician of local prominence. He was a soldier during the late war in the Confederate
army, and for a time was Captain of an independent company. He did not, however, serve until the close of the conflict,
but was retired on account of his age.
He is a member of the Episcopal Church,
as was also his wife, who died in 1881. They were the parents of eleven children, six sons and five daughters.
All but three of the family are still living. They are as follows: Edward S.; James T.; George; Herbert H.; Margaret
T., wife of C. F. Kesson, of Morganton; Lucy W., wife of Rev. Nielson Falls, of Washington, D. C.; Martha M., now
Mrs. C. S. Smith, of Morganton; and Florence L., wife of John H. Pierson, also of the same place.
Dr. Walton grew to mature years in his native
town and received a superior education at Davidson College, Mecklenburgh County, N. C. He
attended the New York University afterward,
and was graduated from the medical department in the Class of '73. He began the practice of his profession at once
in the eastern part of his native State, being for one year located in the village of Stantonsburg.
Believing that the West afforded better
opportunities for a young professional man, he removed to Illinois in February, 1875, since which time he has been
situated in Clarksdale, where he has built
up a large and remunerative practice. He owns a good home property and a store building in this village, and is
one of her public-spirited citizens.
On the 26th of September, 1876, the Doctor
was united in marriage with Mrs. Annie Johnson, widow of James Johnson, and a daughter of John and Teresa Shehan.
Three children have come to bless their home: Loretta, who died in infancy; Thomas George and Ellen Teresa.
Mrs. Walton is a member of the Catholic Church, is a lady of good education, and presides over her husband's home with genial grace and hospitality. In his social relations, the Doctor is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He adheres to the principles of the Democratic party and supports its candidates with his ballot. For two terms he held the office of Justice of the Peace, making an efficient and trustworthy officer.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails